New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

openwheelracing wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:04 am
Nice new colors. Giant colors.

Question: can I use normal round dust cap and spacers on an Advanced 2. Stock the bike comes with "aero" stylle spacers that only truly fits Giant stems. I wonder if normal round setup works? Has anyone opened it up yet?
Normal bearing cover will work fine, but you may need to use thin spacers on top of the bearing to make the cover sit up clear of the frame.

Look for David Arthur's Just Ride Bikes channel on YouTube for shots of his TCR with round cover and Zipp stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Watched it. Thank you.
https://youtu.be/3M7h7MlhnB8

Hoven

by Hoven

Someone now Max saddle height on a L frameset c-bb to top of saddle? Sits on 82.5cm and hope it works!

bobones

by bobones

Assuming you mean SL with ISP, it should be fine: I have M and max saddle height was around 80 cm. According to this, L has 6cm longer seat tube

Hoven

by Hoven

Yes! Thanks:)

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

wannabefast wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:15 pm
+1 would be very interested in how it compares to the SL6.
After around 1000km of winter rides here, I would say that it is exactly the same fit (stack, reach, etc.), and that the handling is noticeably more stable.
The stiffness during accelerations is indistinguishable, and the confort is a tad bit worst on the TCR (the seatmast seems more stiff vertically), which is largely compensated with the use of a rear 28mm tire. The road buzz is then filtered even better than on the SL6, but the low frequency undulation of the road is less filtered. I managed a 9 hours ride on poor road surface with no issues at all.
Regarding stability, I expected to need to countersteer to stay straight during powerful pedalstrokes as I was used with the SL6 but it was not necessary with the TCR, this is the main difference that I saw with the SL6. It feels much more as being on a rail : it stays right.
During descents, it needs more input to corner but on the other hand it is much more reassuring when riding along.
Aerowise, I tested a few straight lines with bike power calculators and they seem on par too but it is not easy to prove precisely :D
Now I need to add some real alpine climbs to have a clear picture, but overall I'm very happy with both bikes

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Hi, I'm probably going to get an Advanced disc, but I'm a little unsure on size.

I'm stuck deciding between an M/L and an L.

I used to have an L, with a 120mm stem, pretty much slammed (maybe 5mm spacers...I can't remember anymore). To be honest, it was a bit long.

So, I reckon I could have a large with a 110mm stem and 5mm spacers, or an M/L with a 120mm stem and about 25mm spacers and either would be about right. Any thoughts on how to choose one over the other?

My saddle height is about 79.5cm.
On my cross bike (don't have a road bike now), have a saddle to bar drop of about 10.5cm) when I used it as a road bike last summer I dropped that a further 10mm as that's the max drop I could add.

js

by js

My saddle height is 790cm at 192cm (I pedal with my heels down, so it's relatively low). I've ridden years on a Large TCR with a 130mm stem, with 15mm of spacers and found that to be ideal. I have also ridden my friends M/L at times, with the same saddle height, but I find the longer reach/wheelbase of the Large a better match. Easier to get my weight 'inside' the wheels and really push the front wheel on corners and decents.

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Am also considering the difference between the 2022 advance pro disc 2, and 2021 advanced disc 1+. The pro has full 105, whereas the 1+ has ultegra, but with cheap rotors and chainset (and obviously the cheaper fork).

Anyone got any genuine experience of both and Advanced Pro and plain old Advanced? 30g difference on the scales, and different diameter steerer tube, but any other differences that you'd actually notice? Are the blades the same?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Just received a tcr advanced sl 2021-2022 fraleset.
Will intsall it with ultegra di2 12v.
Anybody have a guide how to properly install (later remove if meccesary) the di2 battery in the isp with the giant wedge?

bedampft

by bedampft

bruno2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 am
Just received a tcr advanced sl 2021-2022 fraleset.
Will intsall it with ultegra di2 12v.
Anybody have a guide how to properly install (later remove if meccesary) the di2 battery in the isp with the giant wedge?
Don't use the wedge. That sucks and is likley to result in the battery sliping down and rattling.
Cut a piece off the foam (that was protecting the frame) an fix it with some tape to the Di2 battery, then put it in the ISP.
Or wrap the battery into a disposable/ latex glove, so it won't slip.
Also put a long Ziptie along the battery, to pull it out of the ISP again.

flying

by flying

openwheelracing wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:09 am
Watched it. Thank you.
https://youtu.be/3M7h7MlhnB8
He also did a year end fav bike of the year video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEUd-auJDo

ChairmanJiang

by ChairmanJiang

I have ridden the rim brakes of the TCR ADV SL and the disc brakes I assembled myself, and it seems that the rim brake version will be a little more comfortable. I have to use 28c tires for the disc brake version to be comfortable enough.

bobones

by bobones

ChairmanJiang wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 am
I have ridden the rim brakes of the TCR ADV SL and the disc brakes I assembled myself, and it seems that the rim brake version will be a little more comfortable. I have to use 28c tires for the disc brake version to be comfortable enough.
I came to this conclusion myself after seeing numerous reports of disc brake ISP bike being a bit uncomfortable or too stiff from the likes of Peak Torque and Cycling Weekly then riding my rim brake TCR SL for the first time and finding it to be springy, smooth and supremely comfortable! I think Peak Torque even says on older videos how comfortable the ISP is (on rim bike), only to say that the disc bike is too stiff and the non-ISP bike is more comfortable on the later disc videos. I think it's widely held that disc bikes can be less comfortable due to stiffer forks and rear triangles, which perhaps drives a need for larger tyres and clearance.
Last edited by bobones on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoeyGun13

by JoeyGun13

IMG_20211221_134257.jpg
Hey all! Just signed up for this forum and want to introduce myself.

I bought the Giant TCR Advanced CP2 in Unicorn White in size XS (48cm) with rim brakes last September and absolutely loving it!

Since then, I've done the following upgrades to get it from 17.86lbs (8.10kg) to 16.15 lbs (7.32kg) with the Garmin Rally RS200 SPD-SL pedals. Without the pedals, the bike weighs 15.44 lbs (7.0kg)
  • - Prime Primavera carbon fiber Aero Handlebar with Supacaz Kush gold fade tape
  • - Specialized Romin EVO Mirror Saddle
  • - Vision Metron 40SL Wheels
  • - Schwalbe Pro on 28mm Tires
  • - KMC X11SL Ti-N Chain
  • - Novaride Ceramic Oversized Pulley
  • - 165mm Shimano 105 Crank
  • - Garmin RS200 Power Meter Pedal
IMG_20211203_110521.jpg
IMG_20211203_110546.jpg
IMG_20211203_110604.jpg
IMG_20211124_194921.jpg
IMG_20211205_130451.jpg