New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

GranFondo cycling online magazine -- a fine site -- has a review. Giant fans, are you not entertained? What's the verdict?
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Would have been nice to see more hose/cable integration like the Propel and Defy, but it looks good. I'm sure some people will be happy to see they didn't drop the seatstays.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

I agree. The hose/cables on the front don't look good. It is 2020, hide. those. cables.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

Oh man.. show me the bike and I’ll show u the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tabl10s

by tabl10s

2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

hannawald

by hannawald

why cables when they focused on aerodynamics? They were not able to integrate them without huge weight penalty?...
Btw Giant has finally learned how to paint nice bikes:)

robeambro

by robeambro

Surely it's a bike that will polarise opinions.. Overall, I think this will be the perfect bike for some people due to some factors (mostly weight), while others will not even consider it.

- Very WW (claimed 6.68kg, which surely could be brought down with an 11s groupset and more WW parts)
- Cadex wheels tubeless only (!)
- no cable integration with relative pros and cons
- ISP + no zero offset seatpost limits choice

Curious that the reviewer would complain of "limited comfort" - and this is with tubeless which tends to be a more plush ride..

For sure if the choice of "forcing" customers to tubeless only (at least for top-specced complete bikes) will be controversial, especially if it becomes a common trend across manufacturers.

integration

by integration

Really like the new colorways and paintjobs!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giant- ... ike-range/

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Here are more technical details on road.cc, generally my favorite bike site other than this one.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/giant ... ver-272521

Unfortunately I've had poor experiences with test riding Giant bikes for more than a decade, at those times when I've held open competitions for the next bike. They've seemed to me crude, and this is over multiple models (although perhaps not the TCR) and different LBSes. Yet I know enough about Giant's history to respect it as an experienced and quality bike builder, I like the compact geometry Giant pioneered, I've enjoyed my three prior bikes with ISPs, and I'm a above-moderate weight weenie. I'm also intrigued by road tubeless and appreciate Giant building it in (albeit, why 25 mm tires?) So I should like the TCR, and had I not just purchased a different road disc bike I would have looked at it. Best of luck to more knowledgeable Giant fans who will enjoy it.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

integration

by integration

More pics and info here, though some may need a translator https://www.giantcyclingworld.com/news.php?id=20503480

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robeambro wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:26 pm
- ISP + no zero offset seatpost limits choice
You flip the clamp hardware around on top of the ISP, just like on every other Giant ever.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The ISP topper has -5/+15 offsets so no issues with not having a dedicated zero-offset. Same as the now previous gen TCR.

CADEX wheels can use tubes and are not tubeless only.

Curious note from the granfondo review about his TCR being susceptible to crosswinds. I have never had that impression with CADEX wheels on the now previous gem TCR.

Overall I'm excited for the updates on the TCR. My TCR has arguably been the most utilitarian race bike I have owned. I did think they would keep the downtube junction port that's seen on the earlier protour models though.
Just ride ..

dexe

by dexe

The first thing I notice is an XS (so 6 frame sizes instead of 5!!). The S seems to be slightly bigger than the current S, while the XS seemingly takes the spot for riders @ 165, maybe to 170/172 instead of 175?

At 168 I'm very excited about this! Hopefully the XS does feature 170 cranks and 38cm bars. I have my hopes up for both.

Also I notice some interesting talk about that electronic cabling, which is joined with rear brake hose. I guess that tidies it up a bit more at least.

Lastly, the road.cc acticle mentions two different handlebar setups. Would the top-end version still receive the one-piece even though it's not shown on the pictures? That's not quite clear to me. Maybe the weightpenalty was too big.

I can't wait for the launch of the emonda now, as it will be between those two for me :)

dexe

by dexe

Double post..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com