New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LP119

by LP119

I'm curious if anyone living in Canada was able to put in an order for a 2023 TCR Advanced Pro 0 model? I was told by multiple dealer in region that they will not receive a single TCR Advanced Pro, regardless of size for 2023. Some of these dealers are Giant Concept store. I can't immagine how frustrating it must not being able to sell anything beside e-bikes and hybrids...I'm sure Canada isn't high on Giant's priority list but this is completly ridiculous. Many store have yet to receive their TCR from their 2022 order. Any luck for people living in different country?

js

by js

Yes - Giant Canada has seemed pretty useless these past few years. What they have access to is incredibly limited and even then, deliveries of bikes to Giant Canada can be a year behind when other regions are getting them.

What I still struggle to understand is why they can't at least bring some framesets to us. I get that components can't be sourced, but what's the points of being Giant and producing everything from start to finish in your own facilities, if you can't keep something going out the door to your customers?

The only thing I can think of is that all the other companies Giant makes bikes for must have upped their orders to max capacity, so for Giant to keep that business, they've had to scale back theirs... I'm not sure how valuable that is in the long run though. Surely hurting their own brand is a big hit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

GT8 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 pm
Postman came by today!

Next summer's bike and my once in a decade 'good bike' purchase.

- TCR Advanced SL frameset L in Raw Carbon (2022)

Build Plans:

- Ultegra 8170 Di2
- Zipp 303 Firecrest or Enve Foundation 45 wheels
- Continental GP5000s 28mm tyres
- Fizik saddle
- Contact SL OD2 110mm stem
- Prime alloy bars (not a fan of carbon, prefer the feel of 7075 alloy)

Will be picking up the components over the winter as savings allow.

Really love my TCR Advanced Disc 3 which I bought earlier this year. It's much heavier and less well specc'd than my current good bike (Felt Fr1 Dura Ace 9000 mech) but I find I'm consistently faster on my usual route on the Giant - stiffer, holds speed better so I'm not too bothered about weight with the SL as it will be considerably lighter than the 3.

It's going to be a long winter...

(will do weights of the parts as I get them!)
Could you kindly post a few photos? I really wanna see how the frameset really looks. Planning to get the exact same frameset for myself. ty
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

GT8

by GT8

DCcyclist wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:22 pm
GT8 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 pm
Postman came by today!

Next summer's bike and my once in a decade 'good bike' purchase.

- TCR Advanced SL frameset L in Raw Carbon (2022)

Build Plans:

- Ultegra 8170 Di2
- Zipp 303 Firecrest or Enve Foundation 45 wheels
- Continental GP5000s 28mm tyres
- Fizik saddle
- Contact SL OD2 110mm stem
- Prime alloy bars (not a fan of carbon, prefer the feel of 7075 alloy)

Will be picking up the components over the winter as savings allow.

Really love my TCR Advanced Disc 3 which I bought earlier this year. It's much heavier and less well specc'd than my current good bike (Felt Fr1 Dura Ace 9000 mech) but I find I'm consistently faster on my usual route on the Giant - stiffer, holds speed better so I'm not too bothered about weight with the SL as it will be considerably lighter than the 3.

It's going to be a long winter...

(will do weights of the parts as I get them!)
Could you kindly post a few photos? I really wanna see how the frameset really looks. Planning to get the exact same frameset for myself. ty
Will do! Planning on opening the box this weekend - to be rainy here this Sunday so mug of hot tea and a wee unboxing and photo session coming up :)

GT8

by GT8

Unboxed today.

Colour is: Matte Raw Carbon TCR ADVANCED SL DISC

I tried to take the photos with as much natural light as possible using an iPhone 12 Pro.

It is not as grey as the photos came out, it's not black though, best described as a charcoal pencil lead type.

The amount of raw carbon you can see (looks like "ice" to me!) is quite subtle, especially when compared to the raw (but clear lacquered) finish of my Felt FR1 - it's much more flat matte overall than I was expecting.

I love it and think it's going to look very, very classy when built up with the Ultegra 8150/70 parts.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Could someone please post a photo with measurements of their TCR thru axles.

I'm building up a Liv Langma Advanced Pro 2021 frame for my other half and it did not come with thru axles. Hesitating buying the Giant thru axles as they look heavy compared to Prime.

I have found the following information online:

Giant Front Hub Thru Axle - Ø12mm L=116.8MM P=1.5

Giant Rear Hub Thru Axle - Ø12mm L=160.8MM P=1.5

Thread Length 15mm

Could someone please confirm this is correct.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Cattie

by Cattie

I about to buy a TCR Advanced Pro. I read pretty much half of the thread. Did anyone with a new TCR Pro experience speed wobble?

Cyclingtips did mention in their review that it actually did happen to both of the testers at around 70 km/h.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021-g ... ke-review/

That is the only thing, that leaves me a little concerned.

integration

by integration

Cattie wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:33 pm
I about to buy a TCR Advanced Pro. I read pretty much half of the thread. Did anyone with a new TCR Pro experience speed wobble?

Cyclingtips did mention in their review that it actually did happen to both of the testers at around 70 km/h.

Speed wobbles typically come from the wheels.

To quote the article you posted above, note the underlined portion.
More importantly, both Andy and I each experienced a one-off bout of speed wobble in gusty conditions at over 75 km/h that we then couldn’t replicate (and I haven’t been able to get back to the same seated coasting speeds around my local roads in Sydney). James Huang experienced a similar thing on his stiffer TCR Advanced SL test sample and claims to have solved the issue by balancing the wheel.
If you're planning to change the wheels anyway you should be alright. Otherwise it doesn't like re-balancing the wheels maybe with a counter weight is a big deal 👍

Edit: auto correct corrected incorrectly

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Cattie wrote:I about to buy a TCR Advanced Pro. I read pretty much half of the thread. Did anyone with a new TCR Pro experience speed wobble?

It happened to me once. Speed was 72 km/h acording the Wahoo. It was windy with side gusts. Did not happen ever again after that. I also balanced the wheels but i'm not sure it really done anything besides making them very calm when in bike stand. It took 22ish grams per wheel.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Cattie

by Cattie

Thank you very much both of you. So I have ordered the Advanced Pro 1 and the searching for the parts starts.

I will sell the original Ultegra 8020 groupset and the SLR 1 wheelset.

Groupset will be Shimano Ultegra, 12 speed. I already have a nice 1300g wheelset.

I definetly want to change the headset cover and the spacers to round ones.
Maybe I will try the Hylix seat post.

PaulJ

by PaulJ

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:35 am

I'm building up a Liv Langma Advanced Pro 2021 frame for my other half and it did not come with thru axles. Hesitating buying the Giant thru axles as they look heavy compared to Prime.

Thread Length 15mm

I have the Prime axles turning up today (120mm and 160mm). I'l let you know if they fit my 2021 Advanced ok, as they seem a solid choice for the £/g.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

PaulJ wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:03 pm
Nickldn wrote:

Thread Length 15mm

I have the Prime axles turning up today (120mm and 160mm). I'l let you know if they fit my 2021 Advanced ok, as they seem a solid choice for the £/g.
Thanks, would be good to know. The Primes are definitely lightweight and well priced.

Was wondering if the 160mm may be a bit short and if so perhaps the 163mm with 2mm washer would fit better.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

PaulJ

by PaulJ

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:10 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

Thread Length 15mm

Thanks, would be good to know. The Primes are definitely lightweight and well priced.

Was wondering if the 160mm may be a bit short and if so perhaps the 163mm with 2mm washer would fit better.
You're right, the rear is perhaps a little short, and front a little long. They work though, the aesthetics of the front one poking out is my biggest issue!
Attachments
IMG_9772.JPEG
IMG_9774.JPEG

Cattie

by Cattie

Stumbled upon this sick built on YouTube.

What do you think about the 1x setup?
04B1E4F8-8974-4154-9482-BD59A98E6AB5.png

Nickldn

by Nickldn

PaulJ wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:54 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:10 pm
PaulJ wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

Thread Length 15mm

You're right, the rear is perhaps a little short, and front a little long. They work though, the aesthetics of the front one poking out is my biggest issue!
Thanks for the photos. It's great news the Prime skewers work with the TCR.

Is there enough thread on both axles to fully engage with the thread in the fork leg? Or is there too much?

Perhaps the front could benefit from a spacer like this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailers/ro ... pacer-3mm/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com