New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bobones wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:57 am
Just measured 4 of my bikes there: all have top of saddle to BB between 78.5 and 79 cm and saddle to bar drop of between 11 and 13 cm with a modicum of spacers. I am about 178 tall.

Edit: just gone and ordered it there!
Indeed you must be all legs.
bobones wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:53 pm
The bike looks good. Nothing wrong with that colour scheme. Contrary to your plans to go "non-stealth", I think the best thing would be to have all attached parts as low key as possible. Seat, bar tape, groupset (yeah, I know you're not going to change the groupset), etc. Nothing will coordinate properly with that paint job - you could end up with a bad acid trip it you get too colorful.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomycs

by tomycs

bobones wrote:
I would never pick this colour but there's no choice so will just embrace it
The colour grew on me, I was neutral about it at first but I knew I disliked the "dark red" for 2022. I went w. simple black handlebar tape (few pics on the last page of the catch'all Giant gallery).

Availability did play a part in my choice of frameset and this reminds me I'm still waiting for the 110mm Giant stem I ordered 2 months ago (I had to use an old Ritchey I had lying around for the build).

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bobones wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:40 am
Hmm, M/L's effective top tube of 565 is too long for me: all my bikes are 54s or 56s with 550 TT being the sweetspot. I think the M with some spacers would be fine, but perhaps not ideal.
Looking at your bike again, that stem looks like a reasonable length. Perhaps the combination of components and your body proportions make that setup idea for you in terms of performance, but looking at just the bike without knowing anything about the rider would lead me to believe the frame is too small. So much seatpost and so many spacers. What length stem would be needed to make a frame with 15mm more reach work for you? Compounding the reach issue, those bars look to have really long reach. No question Giant race geometry is long and low and in the end the frame size choice is perhaps nothing more than an aesthetic difference but it is unusual. It would make sense to me if you needed your bars high relative to the seat but that doesn't seem to be the issue.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bobones

by bobones

tomycs wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:39 pm
bobones wrote:
I would never pick this colour but there's no choice so will just embrace it
The colour grew on me, I was neutral about it at first but I knew I disliked the "dark red" for 2022. I went w. simple black handlebar tape (few pics on the last page of the catch'all Giant gallery).

Availability did play a part in my choice of frameset and this reminds me I'm still waiting for the 110mm Giant stem I ordered 2 months ago (I had to use an old Ritchey I had lying around for the build).
Your bike looks great in those pics, and the colour is definitely growing on me. Giants have never really appealed to me up to now: I don't really like severly sloping top tubes and the brand has always lacked cachet for me, but the 2021 TCR Advanced SL is arguably the best rim brake frameset currently available and may be the best there will ever be. I was in the market for one last great rim brake frameset, and I couldn't really decide what to buy at first, but after one ride, I am really glad I opted for this: it really is a grin inducing bike!

bobones

by bobones

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:03 am
bobones wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:40 am
Hmm, M/L's effective top tube of 565 is too long for me: all my bikes are 54s or 56s with 550 TT being the sweetspot. I think the M with some spacers would be fine, but perhaps not ideal.
Looking at your bike again, that stem looks like a reasonable length. Perhaps the combination of components and your body proportions make that setup idea for you in terms of performance, but looking at just the bike without knowing anything about the rider would lead me to believe the frame is too small. So much seatpost and so many spacers. What length stem would be needed to make a frame with 15mm more reach work for you? Compounding the reach issue, those bars look to have really long reach. No question Giant race geometry is long and low and in the end the frame size choice is perhaps nothing more than an aesthetic difference but it is unusual. It would make sense to me if you needed your bars high relative to the seat but that doesn't seem to be the issue.
I really appreciate your comments, but those pics were taken before I got my saw guide and I had only shortened the steerer the minimum possible to build the bike up. I have now reduced the number of spacers and taken 1 cm from the seat mast. It looks better proportioned now, but the sloping top tube is always going to look a bit weird with such a high saddle. (Maybe that's why I have always prefered the aesthetics of a horizontal top tube?) The bars are Canyon H36 100/40 mm knock-offs that I had lying around but I'll be replacing them soon.

Here it is after a bit of saw action:

I appreciate what you say about low key or black components and tape looking better for this frame colour, but I think I might have a bit of fun and go for that bad acid trip look you mentioned :)

zirxo

by zirxo

I love it!

I really wanted that frame but couldn't get hold of one so went for the Chrysocolla instead. I had to cut a couple of cm of my seat post and I gotta say that it looks even better like you have it without cutting it at all.

bobones

by bobones

Cheers! I almost went for the Chrysocolla because I preferred the colour over this and was curious to try disc brakes with Juin Tech GTs but couldn't really justify the extra expense of buying disc wheels when I already have a couple of decent sets of carbon rim brake jobs ready to go. Besides, my original idea was to buy one last great, lightweight rim brake bike, so I'm glad I stuck to my guns. I've been close to buying a Factor O2, Time ADH, Arc 8 Escapee, and Focus Izalco Max (older model), but I'm delighted this TCR is what I've ended up with, even if it's not a particularly hot bike to look at.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

It looks fantastic imo.

jasjas

by jasjas

Lovely looking bike!

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

Finally finished my latest build with Di2 12s, what a lovely bike !
(6.7kg as pictured)

bobones

by bobones

Sweet! Love that colour. How does it compare to your SL6?

wannabefast

by wannabefast

+1 would be very interested in how it compares to the SL6.

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

I need a better weather to be able to bring a fair comparison :lol:
I just did a quick spin, it seemed quite firm overall, very stiff during accelerations (at least as much as the SL6), I like the fit (quite close to the SL6 too, it is a S vs a 52 Tarmac)
I will keep you up-to-date in the coming weeks when I will be able to test the handling in descents and do long rides to test the confort

Kafuu

by Kafuu

IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
(6.7kg as pictured)
are you using the sigeyi hanger?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

Kafuu wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:09 am
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
(6.7kg as pictured)
are you using the sigeyi hanger?
Yes, it is very nice