New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:37 am
Nickldn wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:23 pm
This is getting way off the TCR topic of this thread, but it's not about snapping the quick link.

Quick link failure occurs when tension in the chain is released and the link slips due to wear. If this happens the chain comes off.

That's why I never reuse quick links, too chicken.
You mean that the link effectively disengages itself? Can't imagine that, unless you used the same link for 10 years.
Yes, disengages, because the metal which keeps the chain link in place has been deformed, or worn by removing/re-attaching the link. It's not the amount of time the link is in place on the bike, but how many times it has been taken off/put back on that causes wear.

This is why most links are single use, yet they do not 'expire' in use.

I understand reusable links have a stronger, engagement/disengagement area, so deformation is lessened and you can remove and reattach the link a few times.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

tunaseng

by tunaseng

Anybody knows what length and bb a giant tcr advanced pro frame 2019 uses?

I'm guessing press fit bb86 but not sure of the length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MagicShite

by MagicShite

they all use the exact same BB86 BB, from 2016 to 2021/2022

zirxo

by zirxo

It's bb86, which means that it's 86mm wide.

Dan112

by Dan112

Does anyone happen to know the length of the caplier bolts I need for a 2021 TCR Disc framset?

I've just brought some DA di2 shifters and capliers which hav not come with the bolts assuming this is because different frames are different dimensions.

I don't have the frameset yet but from what I can see giant don't supply them with the frameset either.

Does anyone happen to no the sizes in length so I can get some ordered before the frame turns up?

Thanks

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Anyone got a huge salt build up around their clamp area?

The new clamp actually has a big gap that allows too much sweat to seep through. (comparing to 2016-2021 units)

Anyone tried using silicone to fill up the gaps? Will it affect disassembly later?

bratz

by bratz

Just bought 2021 TCR Advance rim frameset but yet to collect it. Have requested shop to install a bb but was advise to run the cable before bb installation. Is this correct? or is it just easier to run cable without bb. I dont have a bb press and am doing the cabling myself. Probably rating myself a 7/10 mechanic.

I'm 170cm and bought S size. Hope the fit will be good as I used to ride a 2010 TCR advanced and remembered vividly it was long in reach(using 90mm stem) and high in stack.

Current frame is 2012 Derosa Merak in size 49 slammed(can go slightly lower) with 100mm stem

IvanZg

by IvanZg

bratz wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:20 am
Just bought 2021 TCR Advance rim frameset but yet to collect it. Have requested shop to install a bb but was advise to run the cable before bb installation. Is this correct? or is it just easier to run cable without bb. I dont have a bb press and am doing the cabling myself. Probably rating myself a 7/10 mechanic.

I'm 170cm and bought S size. Hope the fit will be good as I used to ride a 2010 TCR advanced and remembered vividly it was long in reach(using 90mm stem) and high in stack.

Current frame is 2012 Derosa Merak in size 49 slammed(can go slightly lower) with 100mm stem
I switched from mechanical group to Di2 a month ago. Did not remove BB as I was afraid I'll damage it. It is doable with BB in place but the job would be much easier without it. Keep in mind I did not have to install brake lines so that saved me some additional frustration.
I would strongly advise to get a bearing press or improvise it form hardware store parts (cheap way to do it) rather then pull the cables around the BB.

bratz

by bratz

Thanks IvanZG.

Wont running a cable guide prior to cable installation help? Do i need to install the dust sleeve as I dont think the cable will be touching the crank and may help installation.

Will probably get a press if really needed.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

You run something metallic with a magnet and then go with teflon sleeves for shift cables. (This was original setup from the bike shop) This is much easier when you have full access.
If you go without that plastic part of shimano BB you can do it very easily. There are no cables touching dust sleeve ergo nothing will touch the spindle

bratz

by bratz

Cool. Will definitely not use the sleeve if not required and for easier installation.Thanks IvanZG

antoniogf

by antoniogf

Guys, anyone knows some handlebar ultralight to beat my slr? I will also buy stem ultralite 80gr. Tks.

Enviado desde mi SM-N975F mediante Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

antoniogf wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:34 pm
Guys, anyone knows some handlebar ultralight to beat my slr? I will also buy stem ultralite 80gr. Tks.

Enviado desde mi SM-N975F mediante Tapatalk
Giant themselves just announces a new handlebar 160gr light. You can't go much lower than that.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

https://exs-cycling.com/products/rx-01-road-handlebar

I'm too lazy to reroute my stuff at the moment, but this is mere 150g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I couldn't be farked either.
Particularly if it is 10 grams of weight saved only.
Mind you, dunno why I am even on this forum.
Generally speaking I don't particularly care about weight savings on road bikes.
8kg is fine afaic