New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommsup

by tommsup

I have to wait for warmer weather to answer.. It was no problem to install.

GT8

by GT8

I've just taken delivery of a very nice 2021 TCR Advanced Disc 3 and very pleased with it.

I want to cut the steerer but want to check before I tackle the compression/starfangled nut.

I've removed the top part and left with the part in the steerer itself.

Is it just a case of knocking/pushing down this part left in the steerer so that I can cut to length ?

I can't see any way to remove it fully and there are marks on the inside of the tube that looks like it has been push in from new.

Thanks
Attachments
8D138C5F-09C6-49FF-9732-99DD309706E5.jpeg
C80EF0C3-E93F-4CEA-9554-70256BDD4852.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

damond

by damond

You should not unscrew totally the top cap because you might have probably loosen the lower part of the expander inside the fork steerer. With the top cap slightly unscrewed but still connected to the lower part, tap it gently in order to the decompress the expander and then pull it off.

Otherwise, as it is on your pictures, you should tap the central piece until it falls inside the steerer tube and then turn your bike upside down to take it off again. The 3 semi circular pieces should be held by an o-ring so they might not fall inside the steerer tube but as soon as the central piece falls, they loose all the tension so you can remove it by hand.

GT8

by GT8

damond wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:30 am
You should not unscrew totally the top cap because you might have probably loosen the lower part of the expander inside the fork steerer. With the top cap slightly unscrewed but still connected to the lower part, tap it gently in order to the decompress the expander and then pull it off.

Otherwise, as it is on your pictures, you should tap the central piece until it falls inside the steerer tube and then turn your bike upside down to take it off again. The 3 semi circular pieces should be held by an o-ring so they might not fall inside the steerer tube but as soon as the central piece falls, they loose all the tension so you can remove it by hand.
Thanks so much @damond! Will give it a go.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I had the same issue. The middle sleeve was stuck inside the steerer tube. First I unscrewed the top piece. Then I knocked the lower piece down into the steerer tube. Then I used a number 2 hex key to carefully pull it out. Note I wrapped the hex key with soft padding (foam and masking tape) and I constantly check to see if the tip of hex key became exposed. It came up in no time. Just do it slow and ensure not to gouge inside of the steerer.

tunaseng

by tunaseng

Anybody can explain to me what this means from giant website? Giant listed 28c gp5k str as approved on the the hookless slr1 rims but listed this footnote below.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/h ... technology

Please also note that as per Continental's specifications on rim inner width, the Continental GP5000 S TR in size 700x25C is only apt for use on the Giant SLR 1 & 2 42 and Giant SLR 1 & 2 42 Disc WheelSystems

So are we allowed to use 25c on slr1?

bobones

by bobones

I think it's saying that 25 mm S TR is OK for Giant/Cadex hookless rims as long as the internal width of the rim does not exceed 21 mm as specified by Continental, and Giant SLR 1 & 2 42 do meet this requirement.

benelliracing

by benelliracing

IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Finally finished my latest build with Di2 12s, what a lovely bike !
(6.7kg as pictured)
Hi, can I see which handlebar did you use?

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

benelliracing wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:25 am
IanisCercariolo wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Finally finished my latest build with Di2 12s, what a lovely bike !
(6.7kg as pictured)
Hi, can I see which handlebar did you use?
Sure, the Roval Rapide 400mm :

tarkiap

by tarkiap

I have MY21 TCR and would like to have longer stem. Is this https://www.giant-bicycles.com/md/conta ... -stem-2021 the only option if I want to use spacers I already have? Can someone post a picture of their bike with "aftermarket" stem installed? It's for testing purposes so I don't want to start using file yet :D
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc 2021
Orbea Terra M21-D 19

bobones

by bobones

tarkiap wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:13 pm
I have MY21 TCR and would like to have longer stem. Is this https://www.giant-bicycles.com/md/conta ... -stem-2021 the only option if I want to use spacers I already have? Can someone post a picture of their bike with "aftermarket" stem installed? It's for testing purposes so I don't want to start using file yet :D
Skip to 5.26. Seems 1.25" round top cover and spacers will look fine.

robola

by robola

Hello, first time poster here.

I've just removed my seatpost from my 2021 Advanced Pro to replace the clamp with the newly updated clamp that requires less torque to fit and was shocked to find that the old clamp appears to have damaged/deformed the seatpost (see pics). Seatpost has been clamped down for 1+ year now and torqued to spec of the old clamp (~7nm) abut perhaps this was too much for the post? Has anyone else had or seen this issue?

Personally I won't be taking any chances and will be contacting my LBS about this but might be worth it for TCR owners to check your seatpost for similar issues if they have been persisting with the old clamp.
Attachments
IMG_9829.jpg
IMG_9827.jpg
IMG_9828.jpg

mr_tim

by mr_tim

@ robola looks like the top coat compressed some.. i have seen this many times on carbon bars with the gloss ridging / gather around the edge of the stem clamp faces... most ww posters say its fine...

its always tricky one to tell though as you might have abused the seat post at some point and overloaded it.. but just from clamping but from general usage.

if it gets you peace of mind replace it.. i would expect Giant will say its normal & ride it. doubt they would warranty it..

Robius

by Robius

It looks really bad, maybe your torque wrench is off?

I wouldn't ride with this seatpost during a descent.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robola

by robola

Robius wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:33 pm
It looks really bad, maybe your torque wrench is off?

I wouldn't ride with this seatpost during a descent.
Hmm, it's definitely a possibility - given that my wrench is just a cheap lifeline adjustable one from wiggle.

I think I will buy a preset 5nm park tool wrench and compare it to my adjustable one, out of curiosity.

In the meantime this post is for the bin, not taking any chances.