New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darrydonds

by darrydonds

KDN wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:27 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 am
The canadian website lists the 2022 TCR with the new 12-speed Ultegra Di2 at same price as the 2021 model. Hard to believe.
Maybe because 2021 model was with Giant powermeter and 2022 model is without powermeter.
Ah! You must be right. Good eye. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

avalanche00

by avalanche00

I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have simialar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

Addict15

by Addict15

avalanche00 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 pm
I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have simialar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

I would look at your seatpost/saddle since the sound seams to appear when you are stretching either leg, might cause some movement. So fresh carbon paste on the seatpost and grease/assembly paste on the wedge and wedge bolt, assembly paste on the saddle rails and saddle rail bolts maybe. You could also try a different saddle or seatpost if the shop has it. I assume you have checked which seatpost wedge you have, but if it's the 7 nm one that could cause it as well. Good luck!

MXM

by MXM

avalanche00 wrote:I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have simialar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

I had a similar creak and spent weeks trying to identify the source. It turned out to be the spokes on the rear wheel where they cross.

I solved it temporarily by applying a small amount of grease at the cross section until I will have the wheel checked for spoke tension.

melnik

by melnik

darrydonds wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:39 pm
KDN wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:27 pm
darrydonds wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 am
The canadian website lists the 2022 TCR with the new 12-speed Ultegra Di2 at same price as the 2021 model. Hard to believe.
Maybe because 2021 model was with Giant powermeter and 2022 model is without powermeter.
Ah! You must be right. Good eye. :thumbup:
Was staring at those 2 all morning. It makes a sram one as good of a deal :noidea: would have to see which paint job I like better

avalanche00

by avalanche00

Addict15 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 pm
avalanche00 wrote:

I would look at your seatpost/saddle since the sound seams to appear when you are stretching either leg, might cause some movement. So fresh carbon paste on the seatpost and grease/assembly paste on the wedge and wedge bolt, assembly paste on the saddle rails and saddle rail bolts maybe. You could also try a different saddle or seatpost if the shop has it. I assume you have checked which seatpost wedge you have, but if it's the 7 nm one that could cause it as well. Good luck!
Seatpost has been inspected multiple time and the clamp is the new one. It sounds like its coming from BB or crankset while pedaling.
If it was the wheel why would it do it only when pedaling. BTW I dont need to apply a lot of power to make it creak. Actually too much power (for me) seems to make it better. But on the other hand not paying close attention to noises when spriting.

jasjas

by jasjas

avalanche00 wrote:

Ask the shop what they do to fix it the noise? thats surely where the problem lays....
Don't assume anything, there are some very bad bike shops out there.
Does sound like BB/Crank but shimano plastic PF BB are normally pretty reliable.

avalanche00

by avalanche00

jasjas wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:39 pm
avalanche00 wrote:

Ask the shop what they do to fix it the noise? thats surely where the problem lays....
Does sound like BB/Crank but shimano plastic PF BB are normally pretty reliable.
1st time they said they couldn't hear anything. And it was correct, after store guy took it for a spin it was quiet.
2nd time they said BB spindle was dirty (!!!). I didnt believe that since bike was hardly ridden, but again it was quiet out of the shop so I was ok
3d time they said that noise was coming from Giant SLR 1 rear hub. They said that lube that factory used was bad (!!!) and replaced with DT. Still that wasnt issue
4th time: not sure what they did. Asked to email me a description. Saw grease marks on BB, headset and seatpost

This is the premier Giant dealer in my area. I dont want to go elsewhere since if there is a warranty claim, it has to go through them!

Thats my 3d Giant with PF BB. First one is 11 yrs old and still quiet on its original BB. Could have 40k miles. The second is another 2014 TCR. I keep it in my summer home, so much fewer miles but still runs smooth and quiet.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Can't they put you on an indoor trainer to produce the noise? That should help locate it, no?

avalanche00

by avalanche00

darrydonds wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm
Can't they put you on an indoor trainer to produce the noise? That should help locate it, no?
Thought about that. Whenever I drop off the bike they dont even bother ask any questions. The fact that it stays quiet after taking it to shop mean they ARE doing something...
Thanks though, I will suggest they do that.

Gin0rm0

by Gin0rm0

I also have the dreaded creaky seatpost and waiting on a replacement!

Things to try, if you haven't already?

1. Check if it makes noise both in and out of the saddle (can help to eliminate certain parts)
2. Have you got grease on the thru-axle threads, they may creak if completely dry.
3. Try single leg pedalling on both sides. Does it make the noise on both left and right side? Could be a pedal?
4. Check chainring bolts are all tight.
5. Check headset (it would probably make more noise leaning on bars when out of the saddle).
6. If you have a spare / or can borrow a rear wheel then try it to see if noise dissappear.

MXM

by MXM

MXM wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 pm
avalanche00 wrote:I bought a few months ago a new TCR Advanced pro disc 1 and almost from the beginning I am having this awful creaking noise. It has less than 1k miles. Has been back to shop 4 times. Last time it stayed 6 weeks while I was on a trip. Everything that can be tightened or greased has been done, I assume. Can someone from noise tell what it could be? Does anyone else have simialar issue? NOTE: After taking it to shop, its quiet for about 30 miles, and then slowly the noise comes back. Few ticks at first and then all the time like in the video below.

I had a similar creak and spent weeks trying to identify the source. It turned out to be the spokes on the rear wheel where they cross.

I solved it temporarily by applying a small amount of grease at the cross section until I will have the wheel checked for spoke tension.
In my case the wheel would only creak in a climb under heavy load, otherwise it was completely silent on the flat. It also seemed to go away for a ride or two after I removed the wheel and put it back on (while greasing everything else to no avail). Anyway I fully agree with Gin0rm0, try a different wheel if you can. Your LBS should be able to help with that.

jasjas

by jasjas

avalanche00 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 pm
jasjas wrote:
avalanche00 wrote:

1st time they said they couldn't hear anything. And it was correct, after store guy took it for a spin it was quiet.
2nd time they said BB spindle was dirty (!!!). I didnt believe that since bike was hardly ridden, but again it was quiet out of the shop so I was ok
3d time they said that noise was coming from Giant SLR 1 rear hub. They said that lube that factory used was bad (!!!) and replaced with DT. Still that wasnt issue
4th time: not sure what they did. Asked to email me a description. Saw grease marks on BB, headset and seatpost

This is the premier Giant dealer in my area. I dont want to go elsewhere since if there is a warranty claim, it has to go through them!

Thats my 3d Giant with PF BB. First one is 11 yrs old and still quiet on its original BB. Could have 40k miles. The second is another 2014 TCR. I keep it in my summer home, so much fewer miles but still runs smooth and quiet.
I'd ask them to replace the BB, maybe its been badly fitted? i normally apply a small amount of silicon grease to the plastic cups.
Another one to look at is to check the tightness of the wheel axles and to very lightly grease the drop outs, i know with QR this has caused a problem on my TCR Pro 1, maybe not an issue with TA? i've not got any.

If you still get noise when pedalling out the saddle, that'll rule out the seat post.

You can take it to another Giant dealer...... aren't SLR1 hubs are made by DT, dt360 i think.... so i'd assume the grease is too, bad lube my arse! lol

avalanche00

by avalanche00

jasjas wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:26 pm
avalanche00 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 pm
jasjas wrote:
avalanche00 wrote:

I'd ask them to replace the BB, maybe its been badly fitted? i normally apply a small amount of silicon grease to the plastic cups.
Another one to look at is to check the tightness of the wheel axles and to very lightly grease the drop outs, i know with QR this has caused a problem on my TCR Pro 1, maybe not an issue with TA? i've not got any.

If you still get noise when pedalling out the saddle, that'll rule out the seat post.

You can take it to another Giant dealer...... aren't SLR1 hubs are made by DT, dt360 i think.... so i'd assume the grease is too, bad lube my arse! lol
Last night I did another test. I pressed hard on the pedal while being stopped and pressing break. I could hear the BB click.
LBS told me they would replace the BB. From what I heard once you remove BB cups you need to use new ones. Not sure if they did. They are not being very helpful. The issue is that this is the place I bought the bike from, so I would expect they support me.

Do you use grease in BB? I have seen applying retaining compound before pressing cups in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasjas

by jasjas

avalanche00 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Last night I did another test. I pressed hard on the pedal while being stopped and pressing break. I could hear the BB click.
LBS told me they would replace the BB. From what I heard once you remove BB cups you need to use new ones. Not sure if they did. They are not being very helpful. The issue is that this is the place I bought the bike from, so I would expect they support me.

Do you use grease in BB? I have seen applying retaining compound before pressing cups in.

Yes, i think your asking for trouble re using a pf shimano BB, as it has to be knocked out to remove and use a parktool press to install new one.

Never used retaining compound in shimano PF, just a smear of silicon grease, this has worked well in TCR, Canyon road and mtb's, with a small amount on the 24mm spindle of the crankset for rust prevention, don't over tighten the preload, if your doing any of this yourself......