New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Two questions:
1) Are these framesets on sale in the US or they are just sold out? I cant tell. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-a ... meset-2022

2) Will the contact SL integrated drop bars ever be on sale in the US? I asked my LBS they were clueless and haven’t heard back from the Giant customer service. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/cont ... p-bar-2020

Thank you!
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

MXM wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Dukem wrote:Hey all, new here.

I bought a TCR ADV PRO1 back in April (I believe the last size L available in the south at the time, during lockdown). My first road bike :)

My rear tyre has taken a beaten on farm roads south of Basingstoke through to the south downs. The other day before setting off to work, my rear tyre decided to hiss and piss a load of air out, not sure if it is linked to having the bike leant against a radiator with grit stuck in the tyre?

I've since deflated and picked out a load glass shard and whatnot. But it's clear to me it's time to replace the tyre. I've put roughly over 2k on it so a bit dissapointed with the durability. Im having a rigth mare finding tyres. What's everyone else on SLR1 (hookless..) wheels doing for replacements?

The approved list by Giant hasn't changed since launch and I feel absolutely conned at the lack of availability. I used to run gp5000's on my canyon roadite commuter but theyre a little soft for the roads I ride so im heistant to go for gp5000 S TR tyres. Half tempted to sell the wheelset but they have been faultless apart from the lack of tyre compatibility. Overall I love the bike apart from this.

I've got a bike fit next Thursday and would like to be able to ride there and back. Is it worth trying to repair the tyre?

Thanks in advance

Duke
The GP5000 S TR has made the list, although starting only from the 28c (not sure why). Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a quick follow up on this:

It is possible to run the new 5000 S TR in 25mm on the SLR 2 and SLR 1 42mm wheelsets. But not on the new 36 and 65mm. Reason is that the 42 are a bit more narrow (inner width).

neomoz

by neomoz

Atleast we have a few more tyres to choose from now, my rear gavia course 1 failed and wore out recently. I moved to schwalbe one 25mm, they feel great and quicker than the course 1, I shaved off a nice 100g. For such a heavy tyre I was surprised the low KMs I got out of them. The schwalbe one 25mm on the SLR1 42 rim are pretty much the same profile as the course 1 tyres, measuring 28mm.

Good to know we can use the 25mm 5000 S TR tyres on the 42mm rims. I just hope we see some vitorria tubeless options in the future, slowly it looks like tyre makers are making all their tyres hookless compatible.

bobones

by bobones

I am thinking of buying a 2021 TCR SL rim brake frameset, but I have a couple of doubts. Is it true that the ride quality is harsh and uncomfortable (as alluded to at the end of this review https://youtu.be/HfbgfOIbX3s), and is 79cm from top of saddle to BB too much for an M?

MXM

by MXM

bobones wrote:I am thinking of buying a 2021 TCR SL rim brake frameset, but I have a couple of doubts. Is it true that the ride quality is harsh and uncomfortable (as alluded to at the end of this review https://youtu.be/HfbgfOIbX3s), and is 79cm from top of saddle to BB too much for an M?
You may want to check out Peak Torque’s recent review on YT. He said the frame was quite stiff compared to the sliding seat post.

https://youtu.be/339ZroLe_es

bobones

by bobones

Thanks. I saw that one too, and it adds to the evidence that it's not a comfortable ride. I wonder if the rim brake version is a bit softer, and if it would be better with 28 mm tubeless tyres at 60-70 psi? I have another heavier, comfortable aero bike so it might be good to have something a bit different.

MXM

by MXM

In fact the SL and the Advanced Pro are not that much apart in terms of stiffness (Pro’s BB stiffness is around 90% that of the SL) but the Pro is noticeably more comfortable due to the regular seat post. If comfort is important to you, the Pro may be good choice and you will still get a very stiff frame.

bobones

by bobones

The SL is a fair bit lighter though and it's a great price atm. I've got Red AXS and decent wheels ready to go on it, but the main thing holding me back is that I'm struggling to love the purple blue fade colour(Astral Aura). I might just wait and see if anything else comes up in the new year.

bedampft

by bedampft

MXM wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:57 am
bobones wrote:I am thinking of buying a 2021 TCR SL rim brake frameset, but I have a couple of doubts. Is it true that the ride quality is harsh and uncomfortable (as alluded to at the end of this review https://youtu.be/HfbgfOIbX3s), and is 79cm from top of saddle to BB too much for an M?
You may want to check out Peak Torque’s recent review on YT. He said the frame was quite stiff compared to the sliding seat post.

https://youtu.be/339ZroLe_es

Not from the seatpost, thats just long enough. But you would be better off with the M/L anyways. If you're getting the M, you'll only ride the front wheel. Mine was 76,5cm top to bottom (being 180cm tall), that worked for a pure climber, but not for fast riding in the flats, and really not for sprinting. For me the M/L is a better fit. Saddle to bardrop isn't as aggressiv, but the overall ride is better.
bobones wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 pm
The SL is a fair bit lighter though and it's a great price atm. I've got Red AXS and decent wheels ready to go on it, but the main thing holding me back is that I'm struggling to love the purple blue fade colour(Astral Aura). I might just wait and see if anything else comes up in the new year.
Nope. Depending on your country/ continent, there are no more rimbrake TCRs moving forward.
Loved the Astral Aura, but sadley I don't have that frameset anymore.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bobones wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 am
is 79cm from top of saddle to BB too much for an M?
That's ML territory. I've had 3 different TCR's and I wouldn't even contemplate a size other than ML, and that is with a saddle height of 76 cm.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sib

by sib

MXM wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:29 pm
the Pro is noticeably more comfortable due to the regular seat post.
Can you use a round seatpost on the Advanced Pro?

bobones

by bobones

Hmm, M/L's effective top tube of 565 is too long for me: all my bikes are 54s or 56s with 550 TT being the sweetspot. I think the M with some spacers would be fine, but perhaps not ideal. Never really been a fan of massively sloping TTs and perhaps my leggy build is the reason!

I'm struggling to make a decision. It's one of the last great lightweight rim brake framesets at an unbeatable price, so maybe I just suck up a colour I don't love. Alternatively, I go disc with Juin Tech GTs to get a better colour or just go for a different brand entirely. I have almost bought Factor O2 and older Focus Izalco Max, but they didn't come through for one reason or another. Time Alpe D'Huez 01 has also been in my sights, but much more expensive, dated design and not all that light.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

sib wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:53 am
Can you use a round seatpost on the Advanced Pro?
u wot m8?

no
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

zirxo

by zirxo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:18 am
bobones wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 am
is 79cm from top of saddle to BB too much for an M?
That's ML territory. I've had 3 different TCR's and I wouldn't even contemplate a size other than ML, and that is with a saddle height of 76 cm.
I run a M with that saddle height and no spacers under the 130mm stem. It all comes down to how we're built.

Trust me, I can sprint perfectly fine on it with that setup. :)

bobones

by bobones

Just measured 4 of my bikes there: all have top of saddle to BB between 78.5 and 79 cm and saddle to bar drop of between 11 and 13 cm with a modicum of spacers. I am about 178 tall.

Edit: just gone and ordered it there!
Last edited by bobones on Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com