New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JSam

by JSam

Hi all, I've got a 2021 TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc, and trying to find a new stem, which is not so easy these days as it tuirns out! Does anyone know if this (https://www.giantvaughanonline.com/cart.cfm) Giant stem is compatiable with the 2021 TCR and if it will accept the 2021 Giant garmin stem mount? Alternately, is anyone aware of a non-giant stem that will fit on the new TCR and also accept the garmin mount?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

avalanche00

by avalanche00

jasjas wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:46 pm
avalanche00 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Last night I did another test. I pressed hard on the pedal while being stopped and pressing break. I could hear the BB click.
LBS told me they would replace the BB. From what I heard once you remove BB cups you need to use new ones. Not sure if they did. They are not being very helpful. The issue is that this is the place I bought the bike from, so I would expect they support me.

Do you use grease in BB? I have seen applying retaining compound before pressing cups in.

Yes, i think your asking for trouble re using a pf shimano BB, as it has to be knocked out to remove and use a parktool press to install new one.

Never used retaining compound in shimano PF, just a smear of silicon grease, this has worked well in TCR, Canyon road and mtb's, with a small amount on the 24mm spindle of the crankset for rust prevention, don't over tighten the preload, if your doing any of this yourself......
LBS confirmed that they replaced BB. So now they say they will contact Giant.
I saw Hambini is using retaining compound when installing his BB.

Weber

by Weber

Does anyone know the measurements of the tcr advanced handlebar in size M / L ? Reach/drop/width

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

antoniogf wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Not sure about the weather for Spain, I would not suggest don't have an open Stem Cap. Else, anything that went in will get stuck.

Boyceee

by Boyceee

I've recently ordered the tcr advanced pro disc frame set, just trying to make sure I have all the correct parts ready for when it arrives. Could anyone tell me what comes with it? Eg headset/axles/compression plug etc

I'm sure I saw it somewhere in the depths of this post, but can't find it again. The giant website isn't very clear.

Thanks

Boyceee

by Boyceee

Boyceee wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am
I've recently ordered the tcr advanced pro disc frame set, just trying to make sure I have all the correct parts ready for when it arrives. Could anyone tell me what comes with it? Eg headset/axles/compression plug etc

I'm sure I saw it somewhere in the depths of this post, but can't find it again. The giant website isn't very clear.

Thanks
Managed to answer my own question. Here's what comes in the box:

Frame

Fork

Headset plus spacers and expander plug

Seat post and seat clamp

Mech hangers

12mm thru axles plus 1 lever

RideSense

Cable guides and plugs to run mechanical shifting, Di2 and AXS.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Boyceee wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Frame

Fork

Seat post and seat clamp

Mech hangers

RideSense

What is that "RideSense" part exactly?

shotgun1

by shotgun1

darrydonds wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am

It's a removable speed/cadence sensor, installed on inner part of the drive side of the chainstay
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

darrydonds

by darrydonds

shotgun1 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:31 am
darrydonds wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 am

It's a removable speed/cadence sensor, installed on inner part of the drive side of the chainstay
That's nice that they included it. I guess that compensates for not having the power-meters from a full bike.

avalanche00

by avalanche00

Boyceee wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:44 pm
Boyceee wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks

Frame

Fork

Seat post and seat clamp

Mech hangers

RideSense

Hope it doesnt creak!

avalanche00

by avalanche00

Guys, has anyone figured out whats going on with SLR hookless wheels? ZIPP and ENVE have gone hookless, but they dont make statements about tire compatibility.
Does the statement below mean that if a tire is rates MAX 72.5 psi, its ok to use with Giant SLR?

I checked Pirelli and they say only to use 28 or 30. Why 26 is not compatible?

P ZERO™ Race TLR 28-622 and P ZERO™ Race TLR 30-622 are compatible with hookless rims according to ETRTO 5bar/73psi max pressure limitations.

P ZERO™ Race TLR 24-622 and P ZERO™ Race TLR 26-622 are NOT compatible with hookless rims.

However, should you prefer to run a non-Giant or CADEX tire, listed below are the tires with an indicated maximum pressure above 72.5psi (5 bar) that have passed the Giant test protocol for use with Giant hookless rims. Please note that if the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall of a tire is below 72.5psi (5 bar), the tire is tubeless compatible, and is not indicated as being incompatible with hookless rims, it can be used with Giant hookless WheelSystems and does not have to appear on the chart below:

neomoz

by neomoz

Giant SLR wheels have a narrower internal width(21mm), which means you will need more pressure than 72.5psi on a 25/28mm tyre. For instance with the supplied 25mm tyres which measure 28mm on the SLR rim, I need 85psi on the rear and 80psi up front. So there is a risk of tyre blow off because we are over the safe 72.5psi ETRTO limit.

Enve/Zip have wider internal width, so the same tyres can be run with less PSI, friend has the zip 303 and he runs them around 60 psi. This is why those rims have more tyre compatibility vs the SLR rims.

You could argue that maybe Giant are being over zealous here but at the end of the day no one wants to have their tyre blow off which could result in death. I haven't heard of any reports of this happening so their safety protocol is working I guess.

avalanche00

by avalanche00

neomoz wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 am
Giant SLR wheels have a narrower internal width(21mm), which means you will need more pressure than 72.5psi on a 25/28mm tyre. For instance with the supplied 25mm tyres which measure 28mm on the SLR rim, I need 85psi on the rear and 80psi up front. So there is a risk of tyre blow off because we are over the safe 72.5psi ETRTO limit.

Enve/Zip have wider internal width, so the same tyres can be run with less PSI, friend has the zip 303 and he runs them around 60 psi. This is why those rims have more tyre compatibility vs the SLR rims.

You could argue that maybe Giant are being over zealous here but at the end of the day no one wants to have their tyre blow off which could result in death. I haven't heard of any reports of this happening so their safety protocol is working I guess.
Good info there. Yes you are right, Giant suggest me running 80 psi on their 25mm tires. Going 28 I guess pressure would be withing ETRTO, that's why they only say 25-26 tires failed their test.
What is the reason Giant went with narrower internal? Or did others went with wider so that they dont have this issue?

mamaphil

by mamaphil

neomoz wrote:

Giant's SLR wheels are actually 19mm internal except for their 65mm wheels (22mm), but those do not come stock
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darrydonds

by darrydonds

neomoz wrote:

I don't quite understand that part. Why do you need more than 72.5psi? What happens if your tyres are, say, 70psi (which could happen if you forget to top-up the pressure one day before you go on your ride)?