Shimano Dura-Ace c24 teardown

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I have the 7850 before they glue those carbon stuff (IMO unnecessary)
I always wondered about the spokes if it breaks, can you replace with another straight pull spokes because the Shimano spokes are hard to find and almost extinct.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Because Shimano never specified a rider weight limit for these wheels, I have seen people on other forums or reviews claiming they are over 100kg and they ride really well, stayed true etc. I have no idea what happened to these owners, I assume eventually a spoke will break and the rim will look like a noodle with no way to get home.

I do think about taking them on a long 80 mile unsupported ride crossing 4 or 5 cattle grates. I wondered if I should dismount and walk across cattle grates just to be less stressful for these wheels. Other road surface issues doesn't seem to cause any problems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

I'm at 100kg... my front C24 sucks and wobles all over the place... the rear is great!!! : ) were this way 1st ride and still that way 3,000 miles later...: )

Multebear

by Multebear

kame wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 am
I built a set of wheels like that a couple of years ago, for a friend. His 7900 wheel rims were finished but the hubs were still good. I built the wheels with Farsports 50mm carbon rims and DT Aerolite spokes (I may have used DT Aero Comp on the rear DS).
The front was easy, the DT straight pull spokes fit perfectly. The hard part about the rear was getting the spoke lengths right. Shimano doesn't publish hub dimensions. I measured the hubs as accurately as I could and hit the spoke lengths first time right :-).

I can dig up the numbers if there's interest.
If you still have those numbers, it would be great to have them.