Caad12 cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Hey all

I am having a complete nightmare trying to get the shifter cables back through the downtube on my Caad12!! Does anyone have any experience cabling a Caad that could offer any words of wisdom??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Magnets and free time. That bike never got easier no matter how many times I did it.

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

grab your strongest lamp/flashlight, pop off the cable guide, then make a tiny hook out of a piece of steel wire and use that to fish out the cable once you see pushing up against the edge of the downtube hole.

you can also just remove the cranks, but that would involve using a 1 cent coin (euro) as a "cannondale special tool", then removing the crankarm using a regular crankarm-puller.

zangle

by zangle

I used an old brake cable and fished it through backwards (from the derailleurs). The extra stiffness helped me move it around a little better. Then I then taped that to the shift cable and went back the other way (it still took forever..).

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks guys, shortening up the brake hoses today as I'm waiting on a new cable to replace the one I trashed during the first attempt at internal routing.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I haven't worked on that bike specifically but I found it easier when "sizing" the cable before feeding it in. By that I mean to see around how much of it would place the tip near the exit hole, and holding the cable there.

With the cable held there I feed it through up to that point and start twisting and turning it until the tip is visible.

Sometimes you can even give it a gentle bend near the tip and hold it so that it is going to point towards the exit hole when your hand contacts the frame. When you get good at this stuff you can even hit very small exit holes simply by sheer "luck" and no tweezers or anything.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

So I got damn lucky and the rear went through first time with no dramas!! Got a magnet on order ready to tackle the front again when the new cable arrives.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Let me share how i do internal routing, maybe will be helpfull to others...

Im using sewing thread from one end, and then using vacum cleaner from the other side i can put the thread trough the frame...

Then it's easy.. Im using the thread to pull the cables i want.. No magnet needed, no special tools.. It's easy and quick way of doing this, and for me worked on all my bikes i have....

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

^^ I'm liking the sound of that! I'll try that before the magnet as it could make life super easy. Thanks for sharing.

3Pio

by 3Pio

burglarboycie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 am
^^ I'm liking the sound of that! I'll try that before the magnet as it could make life super easy. Thanks for sharing.
U are welcome :) I had to find the way since few years ago, cant understund even my self why, i decide to replace cables just night before long ride next morning.. And guess what.. I pulled the cable somehow from the frame, before putting new trough frame.. :(

So had to find some remedy and to dont destroy the ride to my self and to others .....So then i discover vacum cleaner trick :) And Since then it become my standard way of cabling with internal routing...

Wish u easy work....

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

I'm going to use these tips. Had a heck of time getting a piece that fell into the top tube. Spent 4 hours, some sewing thread, flashlight, and lifting the bike over my head with one arm to get that darn thing out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com