LBS Survival

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rollinslow

by rollinslow

What are the best strategies people are seeing to carry the LBS's worth saving through the pandemic? Not the generic big dealer but the places that are emblematic of cycling. Small shops, fit and build oriented, reflect a lot of what we on WW love. You know what I'm talking about. I ask because I'm seeing first-hand my favorite LBS struggle.

by Weenie

lowftp

by lowftp

It's going to be dependent on location/jurisdiction, but I've heard a few suggestions that may be helpful: stores limiting the amount of customers at a time (or by appointment only), purchasing gift cards, purchasing items through the LBS online store (if they have one), and GoFundMe page. We're going to see retailers and individuals struggle with this, even after the situation settles.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Many are deeming themselves essential businesses and staying open even with municipal/county directives to shut down. Some others are actually given the go-ahead to continue operating. Keep riding your bike and the next time you search online for a component, consider ordering it through your shop instead.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:44 am
Many are deeming themselves essential businesses and staying open even with municipal/county directives to shut down. Some others are actually given the go-ahead to continue operating. Keep riding your bike and the next time you search online for a component, consider ordering it through your shop instead.
yup.. ordered some XTR 9100 pedals today. I'll pick them up on the next group ride whenever that is.

jlok

by jlok

Bring your bikes toservice to keep their mechanics busy, and if possible, shift some of your online shoppings to your favorite shops. I'm going to ask my LBS to build my upcoming custom bike rather than DIY.
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

allenpg

by allenpg

My shop sponsor is open with reduced hours. County ban on public/private gatherings here (outside your household), but some businesses can remain open (but not dine-in restaurants or bars). Pretty low COVID-19 case count so far for size of our population, but that can't change quickly. Just wish we had more damn tests available...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Online only for me for the time being. I am working evenings only as its home school during the day (uk schools are closed until further notice). I ha e taken the opening times off the website. Bike servicing, well I wont be doing it.

I dont think many shops will survive this. Limited contact with customers is still contact. There no way around this. It's not possible to reduce the risk of transmission by going to shops we dont need to. For the time being its home maintenance. That further imperils shops in the long run which is not what I want to see.

The choice between peoples lives and bike shops is not a choice really.

mendiz

by mendiz

I want to think that the few shops where there is a great mechanic will survive. Really to buy components on line always will be better for a weight weenie customer so picky choosing the exact component that he want , me the first.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

sethjs

by sethjs

FWIW in San Francisco bicycle repair has been deemed an essential service and is open during the shelter in place order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4151zero

by 4151zero

sethjs wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm
FWIW in San Francisco bicycle repair has been deemed an essential service and is open during the shelter in place order.

Thats great! East bay LBS aren't under the same blanket

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

4151zero wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:31 pm
sethjs wrote:

Thats great! East bay LBS aren't under the same blanket
mikes bikes are all open.. curbside drop off/in

ms6073

by ms6073

sethjs wrote:
That is really good news because after 'enjoying' how much things cost while the wife and I vacationed in San Francisco over the new year, I am at a loss for how employees at the shops there can afford to live in the area even during the best of times.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

theStig

by theStig

Most of my favorite LBS have shut down over the years. The only one left in town (before they too shut down recently), gave me a huge hassle when i brought in a frame I bought on ebay to have bearings pressed in. The mechanic and the cashier kept grilling me and asking me where I bought the frame.. I knew the second i mentioned ebay I would get a lot of crap from them. They almost wouldn't do the job (and they were charging $80 USD to press in two BB30 bearings) .. I think it's a sign of the times, that business model isn't doing well and there is some deep seated resentment towards those who order online and do most of their own work.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

FWIW, I have one of the best LBS in the US close by. I still prefer to do all of my own work though and use it more for fitting and procuring frames or anything that isn't available online.

by Weenie

cerro

by cerro

theStig: When I was a mechanic I thought jobs like that was easy money, and always interesting with people caring about their purchases. But was charging like $30 to mount a bottom bracket at most in Sweden. Maybe less if it was very easy.

Tried to support my 2 lbs this week with buying spokes, first one is a small one with honestly said they didn't have and recommended another one. The 2nd I asked said they should check when I asked on instagram but then never came back to me :(
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)