Can we start populating + updating the listings again?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

How do we get this going again? Is the issue that submissions require photographic proof and moderation, or do users simply upload submissions?

I'm building a new bike this Spring and might make a thread for it. I have never done that. I'd put weights, pictures, progress etc. It's a drop in the bucket though compared to all the parts and options out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I really feel like it wouldn't be hard to develop a tool to plan out a whole build. We just need someone with some web expertise connected to the site.

backdoor

by backdoor

@Madcow @Frankie - I took the weight listings that you currently have and built them into a Part Checklist on a spreadsheet I threw together.

See here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Currently it is view only but if you PM me with a google email address I'll grant you access and you can play around with it or if you want you can just download it and go from there.

On the 1st page you can currently use the dropdowns for Frame (Road), Cassettes, Chain, Bottom Brackets and Cages. It's far from perfect but it is a start. You can also just fill in your own data but it would erase the formulas that are currently there. I didnt want to waste time setting the entire spreadsheet up as I did not know if you had something already in progress or if this was even something anyone was interested in.

Some things to think about- In the Collection of the data there is no Unique Identifier for each entry. So I created a generic numbered list for each line in the seperate tabs in the spreadsheet that you can choose from the dropdown list. PIA is that you have to go to each tab to see what part you are putting in or just click through each number until what you want comes up. I know there is a better way, just have not got there yet. I am certain there is a spreadsheet guru on the board that can write a query to make this work (Seeing the dtat field next to the UID whne you select the UID).

For the most part this is just a start. Not sure if this is what everyone is looking for but I am all up for helping out. Feel free to reach out if you need help with the formulas. Just used a simple VLOOKUP for the 3 fields to auto fill on the dropdown.

-Sean
Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

Greenline901

by Greenline901

Am I crazy or is Enve not an option for manufacturer? I just weighed my new Enve aero bars, stem, and seat post and didn't see Enve as a manufacturer in the drop down list when I went to submit the part weights.
2020 Bianchi Sprint Force eTap AXS

cheapvega

by cheapvega

@backdoor I think that is a great start! I would add 2 things:

1- a home page with quick links to each tab
2- a submission page

I might actually play with a copy and get back to you. This is probably the best way to do it for now

backdoor

by backdoor

cheapvega wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm
@backdoor I think that is a great start! I would add 2 things:

1- a home page with quick links to each tab
2- a submission page

I might actually play with a copy and get back to you. This is probably the best way to do it for now
If you want direct access to the file, shoot me a DM with a google email and I'll give you editor access.

Thanks for helping out!

-Sean
Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

kppolich

by kppolich

I recently subitted some parts as part of my SL7 Pro build.
Xlab Chimp Cage - 40g
Kogel BSA30 BB - 80g

alexdi

by alexdi

Probably not worth your time to do cassettes again.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Given how dead this place is, I'm not sure there's a lot of will to revamp the site or anything like that...

But given that WW continues to be just about the only thing you can dig up in a search for weenie resources, it sure would be nice to get something some sort of wiki forked off that's future-proofed by being user-editable.

Let's muster the gumption to reclaim the web from goddamn facebook, killer of forums far and wide.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

This place seems pretty lively to me. This specific feature just needs a motivated developer to get it done. I have some ideas.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Kimmoth wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:38 am
Given how dead this place is, I'm not sure there's a lot of will to revamp the site or anything like that...

But given that WW continues to be just about the only thing you can dig up in a search for weenie resources, it sure would be nice to get something some sort of wiki forked off that's future-proofed by being user-editable.

Let's muster the gumption to reclaim the web from goddamn facebook, killer of forums far and wide.
Kimmoth is wise.

This forum is very good at appearing in searches made by random technically-minded riders on the intranet who want to change a part or shave a few grams. Make the most of that, don't lose it...
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

We could use Airtable and embed the table on this site. The only thing is people would need to setup a free Airtable account to add to the table, but to me that's a good thing.

https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/a ... ew-or-base

And I agree, the problem with the current system is that a listing has to be approved before it appears. A Wikipedia type model where the validation happens after submission is the best way to go.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

kleggy

by kleggy

Love this idea. Happy to help out if you need testers or anything like that.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Ok, here is a test I setup. I dropped in some of the listings to show how we can potentially organize this. Two minor limitations I see with this, and it has to do with the weights.

- You have to type in the "g" when entering in a weight. Not a big deal, we could always just go in afterward and add it if we see it missing.

- No way to view by grams or pounds. I don't see a way for it to convert the weights, but there might be a workaround that we can think up.

Anyway, here is what it looks like. Each category would have a tab a the top. We can embed the table somewhere on this site with the help of the site admin, or we just link to it on Airtable.

This is ready to go, all we'd need to do at this point is populate it with all the past data, which would take some time, but new data can be added right now. You just need an Airtable account.

https://airtable.com/shr96aDHnAaUPg9tr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com