Can we start populating + updating the listings again?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Seems like all updates stopped around 2012............

I bet we could even make a bike builder with compatibility interlocks. And maybe a batch updater too. Bums me out to see such a great resource whither away.

Yoln

by Yoln

Agreed, it's depressing. I'll do my part
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Get cracking!

ruklaw

by ruklaw

Last time I submitted (4 months ago?) nothing happened. Is it fixed?

I'd guess someone needs to approve/moderate the listings and that someone disappeared around 2012.

themidge

by themidge

It's because it's set up the wrong way around. For some reason every new upload needs approval before it can appear, rather than a suspect listing being flagged after the fact :noidea: .

Stendhal

by Stendhal

I submitted some weights last weekend.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

unclearv

by unclearv

themidge wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm
It's because it's set up the wrong way around. For some reason every new upload needs approval before it can appear, rather than a suspect listing being flagged after the fact :noidea: .
Or listed "awaiting approval"

galr1

by galr1

Great. Where do we put the pictures? I don't see where they should be added on the listings form.

numberSix

by numberSix

The scale photo makes no sense to me. You can tare the scale with weight on it then do the photo.

The ability to vote or comment on a listing makes more sense.

exFictitiouZ

by exFictitiouZ

numberSix wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 pm
The scale photo makes no sense to me. You can tare the scale with weight on it then do the photo.

seconded

C36

by C36

exFictitiouZ wrote:
numberSix wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 pm

seconded
numberSix wrote:The scale photo makes no sense to me. You can tare the scale with weight on it then do the photo.

I do believe people in the forum are honest enough to post real weights... in the negative, enough members can correct no?

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

alanyu

by alanyu

I do make a weight list myself for what I have on my bike according to the scale. However, I didn't take all the photos. Just dig out some old pics in my gallery.

Here we go:

SM-BB92-41 with original grease just taken out of the box = 54.8 g
SM-BB92-41
SM-BB92-41
Record 11 chain with plastic bag and the pin = 246.4 g
campy record 11
campy record 11
Hylix bottle cage = 9.2 g
hylix cage
hylix cage
J & L alu bolts for bottle cage = 1.2 g / pair = 0.6 g / pcs
J $ L alu bolts for cage
J $ L alu bolts for cage
Fouriers legion sp derailleur housing = 102.9 g / 5 m = 20.6 g/m
fouriers legion sp derailleur housing
fouriers legion sp derailleur housing

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I've had a great difficulty to estimate brake caliper weights because it's not always clear if it's including pads/shoes/main caliper bolt and what kind. A picture would help but it still wouldn't be perfect.

Also some people use the listings to show off their tuned components, do they not?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:12 am
Also some people use the listings to show off their tuned components, do they not?
A great source of inspiration and research as to what to tune when other options have been exhausted.
Juanmoretime wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 pm
I will gladly update the listings.
I have experience in much bigger documenting efforts (MobyGames, Stack Exchange), and it tells me that if community can moderate the content, it should do so, and that the easier data is to verify, the more friction free process should be. That means either voluteers from community to approve the submissions or even accept all submissions and moderate content after the fact, with an option to report incorrect items. A single person to approve and manage will create a single point of failure and does not protect from another abandonment of listings feature. As a software developer, I also believe that data should be available in machine readable format, which would benefit the community and allow it to fork/pick the project, and have appropriate license.

numberSix

by numberSix

C36 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:31 pm
I do believe people in the forum are honest enough to post real weights... in the negative, enough members can correct no?
I believe we're saying the same thing: people will supply good data, and the scale photo doesn't increase the data quality. It just seems to impede the speed of listings being added.

The few msiguided posters (IIRC a few have been called out in the Gallery threads) would be overruled by a 'comment on this listing' feature.

As to tuned parts, being able to comment on the listing, describe the work, and add photos to show the work would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com