Ressources on Campagnolo Hydraulic Groupset installation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

mag wrote:jzinckgra: It looks like it's designed to be used with directly attached rear caliper e.g. the Campy front-specific one is of no use there unfortunately.

welchy & Nickldn: Good for you. I had many issues and most were of the type one shouldn't have to deal with at all.
I'm trying to get clarity on campy front calipers. I bought the 160 version but they offer the 140mm which I believe would be identical to the rear and thus would work

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

There should be threads in your fork to screw the calipers into. If there are not, then it's defective.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

mag

by mag

Campy make 3 variants of their calipers. Front 160, rear 140 (that could be used as the front one as well) and rear 160. I'm not sure how things are in cases such as that Parlee fork regarding the use of the 140 vs 160 mm rotor, but most likely the rear 140 should be the right one (perhaps with an adaptor - same as one would use with the rear caliper - to make it fit the desired rotor diameter).
Try to ask guys at Parlee if in doubt.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

mag wrote:Campy make 3 variants of their calipers. Front 160, rear 140 (that could be used as the front one as well) and rear 160. I'm not sure how things are in cases such as that Parlee fork regarding the use of the 140 vs 160 mm rotor, but most likely the rear 140 should be the right one (perhaps with an adaptor - same as one would use with the rear caliper - to make it fit the desired rotor diameter).
Can I still use the 160 rotor with 140 front caliper?

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 am
mag wrote:Campy make 3 variants of their calipers. Front 160, rear 140 (that could be used as the front one as well) and rear 160. I'm not sure how things are in cases such as that Parlee fork regarding the use of the 140 vs 160 mm rotor, but most likely the rear 140 should be the right one (perhaps with an adaptor - same as one would use with the rear caliper - to make it fit the desired rotor diameter).

No. You need to use a 140 rotor with a 140 caliper.

Also, are there holes on the opposite side of the fork? How are the calipers supposed to attach?
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

mag

by mag

I'm not familiar with this fork design and what the exact geometry is there, but shouldn't he be able to use the rear caliper adaptor there? Or maybe it's designed around the 160 mm rotor?
Better to clear these things out with Parlee if none of the RZ7 owners around here answers that.

1llum4

by 1llum4

The Parlee RZ7 fork use a similar design of the rear flatmount so the bolt head is at the front of the fork and thread into the brake caliper. So yes for a Campagnolo setup you will need a rear 140 caliper and use a rear flatmount adapter if you want to use a 160 rotor. So for a 160mm setup you will short bolt that will connect the caliper to the adapter and the fork bolt will thread into the adapter. Main bolt length will be cirtical because you need to have all the thread engaged in the adapter but you also might not want the bolt threat to extend beyond the adapter. If the bolt length is too long you might even bottom out the bolt on the caliper.

Here is the Campagnolo product code you should need:
Rear 140 Caliper DB-R141 or the older version DB-R140
Rear Flatmount 160 Adapter AC21-DBADR

For the bolts, any m5 steel or Ti bolt can do as long as the length is correct.
Last edited by 1llum4 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Vespasianus wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 am
jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 am

No. You need to use a 140 rotor with a 140 caliper.

Also, are there holes on the opposite side of the fork? How are the calipers supposed to attach?
Yes, the holes go all the way through. Looks like I just need to buy the rear 140mm caliper then I can use through bolts right into the caliper.

Miller

by Miller

Why can't you just run a bolt secured with a nut&washer through the fork and the existing 160 front caliper? There'd be no need for the caliper to be threaded.

hollowgram5

by hollowgram5

Miller wrote:Why can't you just run a bolt secured with a nut&washer through the fork and the existing 160 front caliper? There'd be no need for the caliper to be threaded.
It doesn't work that way. The thread holes in the fork are for the aero fairing, not for mounting the caliper. He needs a 140rear caliper that someone ditched for Hope or other compatible caliper. Or a UK market left shifter/140 rear caliper setup.

brearley

by brearley

If you're having issues bleeding your brakes have a check of the pistons.

3 times my brakes were bled by the lbs and another 2 by me and could never completely get rid of brake rub. Over the weekend I thought I'd check and I had a lazy piston. Pushed out both a few times, cleaned and covered with brake fluid and pushed in and out a few more times and after a long ride over the weekend there's no rubbing now :D

welchy

by welchy

mag wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 am
jzinckgra: It looks like it's designed to be used with directly attached rear caliper e.g. the Campy front-specific one is of no use there unfortunately.

welchy & Nickldn: Good for you. I had many issues and most were of the type one shouldn't have to deal with at all.
Totally get that I am sure there is variance, and maybe I had a tougher time the first time round and have kind of forgotten it now! I would certainly say bleeding Shimano is much easier in the long term and cheaper, as the Campagnolo hoses make things prohibitively expensive if you need to switch frames etc.