enve aero stem install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chippo

by chippo

Anyone put one of these on their bike? I am looking at instructions but they are not convincing me as correct if I cut 2mm down from mark of top of stem (marking at front of stem)then insert the compression plug the back edge of this plug is 2mm above the stem negating any room for preloading with top cap? I am think I should mark the stem 3mm down measured from back of stem so when compression plug is installed there is still 1mm of space for preloading. The Enve stem has a insert that can be switched around to give different angle of stem. I have attached a diagramme of what I am thinking is correct. It hopefully explains
enve aero stem-01.jpg
how my brain is functioning! (badly possibly) Gawd knows but don't want to cut the steerer unless I am sure!

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I hope this helps, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTVowwKnNKs
Looking at the video, you cut 2mm below the lowest point on the steerer. This will be either at the front or rear of the steerer depending on where you have the shim orientated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chippo

by chippo

Aye mikemelbrooks that makes sense to me. Thanks.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If the cut isn't straight 2mm can easily become too short and you won't be able to preload. So take your time and make a straight cut so you don't have to do it twice. Cutting another 2mm off will be difficult.

chippo

by chippo

Aye I've cut carbon stems before so have all the tools. have sent messages to Enve support but not heard back yet but cutting 2mm down from the lowest point of the angle of the insert makes sense so the compression plug is just flush to the back when inserted Even thinking 2.5mm or 3mm to give plenty of room for pre-load

petert123

by petert123

I have one of these stems ready to install on a new build in the future, it hadn't occurred to me about the cut mark depending on the shim used; thanks for the timely post.

I watched the video, just to be clear, he marked the lowest point when the shim inserted, marked again 2mm below this, and cut "straight" along this lower mark. This results in a very slightly lower point at back or front depending on shim used? (just how my brain works!). Or do you cut along the same angle that the shim makes?

petert123

by petert123

chippo wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:40 pm
Aye I've cut carbon stems before so have all the tools. have sent messages to Enve support but not heard back yet but cutting 2mm down from the lowest point of the angle of the insert makes sense so the compression plug is just flush to the back when inserted Even thinking 2.5mm or 3mm to give plenty of room for pre-load
Let me know what Enve say, or what you do? Thanks.

pt1234567890

by pt1234567890

Finally at the point in my build where I need to fit the aero stem - still not clear whether I need to measure-down and cut 2mm, or make it 2 + 2mm to account for the compression plug that is 2mm itself?
Attachments
Updated Enve instructions
Updated Enve instructions

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You should be able to mount the stem with spacers on top of the stem to!?
Maybe not pretty, but it ough to be ok, or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bump up, isn't it possible to keep steerer even if it isn't recommended?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Erwin

by Erwin

What I am always wondering if the ENVE Aero stem could be used with 1 1/4" steerer tubes and without inserts? I don't think so, because of the two different 12 degree inserts. So the hole in the stem is egg-shaped?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Yes, its oval and you would also need a custom made spacer because it won't sit plane on the bearing.