DIY Automatic Handheld Compressor

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
colagreek

by colagreek

I had been very interested in the concept of the portable handheld compressor for quite some time. Several individuals have converted the Craftsman 19.2volt unit, which retails for roughly $150USD. (Link below) However that unit is now discontinued, and at that cost, you can now purchase the Fumpa Pump which is quite an attractive unit.

All that being said, I sourced this compact unit off of Amazon US, which met the criteria I was looking for, and combined it with a Specialized Air Tool Pro head kit and a bit of garage engineering. In the end it left me with a DIY Automatic Shutoff Compressor that is accurate to 0.2 PSI at a cost of $55USD to build.

You can likewise screw in a small schrader threded pump-head into the standard hose, like the Silca Hiro or Arundel Hansel but this leaves you with a short leash on the unit. Both options will work and I found the results to be the same in accuracy when I used my Silca Hiro with the supplied hose.

Hope you enjoy. As always undertake any modifications at your own risk. Results may vary.

The craftsman mod: https://www.cxmagazine.com/craftsman-co ... conversion

The pump unit itself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KH ... UTF8&psc=1
The pump head & hose kit: https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 33/p558704

The Build:

1. Bare pump unit and Air Tool Head/Hose

2. Sacrificial Pump Extension, The unit includes both a Schrader Extension and a Clamp-On Schrader style mount. I sacrificed the plastic Schrader mount hose to obtain the barb fitting. Carfully cut the plastic clamp with a shop knife and removed the hose.

3. Removal of Air tool fitting end and shorten hose to 24"

4. I notched the rubber hose cover to accept the zip tie heads once clamped and give a more streamlined appearance.

5. Fit the barb into the Air Tool Head hose and secure with two zip-ties. Slide the notched cover over said zip-ties.

6. Fit the newly prepared hose and head to the pump! Thats it!

7. Test inflation to 90.5PSI and Checked with Schwalbe Guage for pump accuracy.

C36

by C36

Great! Love the idea.
How much noise does it make? I had a setup from car emergency pack (battery starter, compressor...). That could inflate up to 10bars... but boy that was way too loud not to wake up the building.

————————-
Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
Cannondale caad5 - Spinergy: junior bike project
Indurain 1995 Pinarello: project ongoing

by Weenie

DC41

by DC41

Great hack! I wish we could upvote posts. I am seriously considering following your example here. In hindsight is there anything you would do differently? After a week of use is it performing as expected?
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

ms6073

by ms6073

I purchased/converted the Craftsman inflater for CX racing back in 2013 before it was discontinued and as a result, rarely take a floor pump on the way to bike rides. I initally used the Specialized pump head kit but recently opted to swap it out for a Topeak Smarthead DX kit as the Specialized head was starting to wear out. Although the inflater continues to work like a champ, as time passes I worry how much life is left in the rechargeable battery, since sourcing a replacement would far exceed the cost of the OP's DIY project.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...