Tubolito road tubes - worthwhile or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Serkie

by Serkie

I didn't have much luck with Tubolito's and eventually swapped them out for latex which have so far (2000 km) been reliable.

I found the puncture repair patches unreliable on the Tubolitos, you would fix, test and then reinstall. They would be fine for a few rides and then the patches would randomly fail. Yes I followed the instructions correctly.

I wanted to use my repaired Tubolitos as spares but the patches are too unreliable to count on for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roos

by Roos

I have been running Tubolitos, the standard version, for 4500+ km with no issues, and not a single puncture. 25 mm Hutchinson Performance Fusion5's, pressure range 85-90 psi, on Campy Bora One 35 DB. Used Vittoria latex before that with Conti 4Ks, and would have the occasional punctures with that setup. Prefer the Tubolitos due to the easy setup and better air retention, but never having had to use the patches, so I have no experience in that regard.

I have since gone tubeless, Bora WTO 45's/Conti 5TL's, milkit valves and sealant, and now carry the Tubolitos as emergency spares should the tubeless setup fail. In that regard they are super compact and light, helping to keep the size and weight of the kit low.

Yoln

by Yoln

Never tried the S-Tubo, but at 22g it's a pretty decent weigh saving, even coming from my Michelin Ultralight Butyl, it's a 110g saving on the bike. Many of us would spend hundreds on a saddle or a wheel hub, to save half of that...

Regarding my experience with the regular Tubolito (the 40-ish grams ones), it was ok, I had several punctures due to road debrits that I believe would have happened with any othe tube. Couldn't source them anymore at the moment so I went back to Michelin butyls, and now I have a pair of Tubolitos as a spare in my emergency kit.

Considering testing the S-Tubo on my next wheelset, if they are reliable it's a no brainer to me: way lighter (saving 100g on a pair...) than Vittoria Latex tube, less than 1W RR difference and still better than any Butyl, no presure loss.

In any case, if they don't stay on my wheels after the test, they'll definitely stay in my emergency kit
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

floriansantana

by floriansantana

I’m also using Tubolito S-Tubos on both of my bikes and they have basically been flawless for over six months now on both bikes. The only problem I had with two of them was, that they lost air over the valve. At first I thought that the valve core was loose and tightened it, but this made it only worse. It seems that the metal valve core damaged the plastic valve stem when I tightened it.

Anyone else with this problem and a solution how to prevent air leakage over the valve or the connection between valve stem and core in the first place?
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

rfield54

by rfield54

One very important thing to know about regarding the Tubolit tubes, is the fact that according to my first hand experience, the patches that Tubolito offer are destined to fail when put into use...in a week, in a month or two, they WILL FAIL, and that is unacceptable to me. I know, because I've used Tubolito's original Flix Kit (clear) as well as the more recent offering (red) on no less than six punctures, and THEY ALL FAILED. The red ones last a substantially longer than the original ones, but fail they did. As a backup tube for the saddlebag/jersey - or for race day - they are an awesome choice. But as an everyday driver, unless you're okay with tossing them when they puncture, FORGET IT!

req110

by req110

I see only complains on flix kit.
Is there someone who was successful with fixing tubolito tubes? Either using flix kit, or using something else, like loctite or whatever glue?

Another question. I only have one tubolito, the s-tubo 22g on front.
Does it makes sense to use 39g normal tubolito on rear? Or should i get s-tubo too?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

jlok

by jlok

req110 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:58 am
Is there someone who was successful with fixing tubolito tubes? Either using flix kit, or using something else, like loctite or whatever glue?

Does it makes sense to use 39g normal tubolito on rear? Or should i get s-tubo too?
I fixed my S-Tubo with the fix kit. Cleaned the surface with the bundled alcohol pads, made sure it's flat :-), stick the patch and press it for 5mins.

REVIVAL: 100!

btw I use S-Tubo on both front and rear wheels and finished festive500 no issue.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Neillp

by Neillp

req110 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:58 am

I posted on another thread that super gluing the patches works if the flix kit fails, I used 'Loctite Super Glue Power flex' apartenlty it is a rubber infused formula.
I didn't remove the failed patch completely (they tend to blow out on one side) I just peeled back the failed point and super glued it down. Been riding it for 3 months now without any problems.

req110

by req110

Neillp: thank you, so Loctite Super Glue Power flex
jlok: not sure if revival 100 means that you fixed the issue and it stays fixed just by using the flix kit?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

jlok

by jlok

req110 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:36 pm
Neillp: thank you, so Loctite Super Glue Power flex
jlok: not sure if revival 100 means that you fixed the issue and it stays fixed just by using the flix kit?
Yes, two punctures on the same s-tubo fixed by just two tubolito patches, no glue.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I'm giving Tubolito's a go here soon. I'll update this thread with my experience.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

SortOfAttached

by SortOfAttached

floriansantana wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:44 am
I’m also using Tubolito S-Tubos on both of my bikes and they have basically been flawless for over six months now on both bikes. The only problem I had with two of them was, that they lost air over the valve. At first I thought that the valve core was loose and tightened it, but this made it only worse. It seems that the metal valve core damaged the plastic valve stem when I tightened it.

Anyone else with this problem and a solution how to prevent air leakage over the valve or the connection between valve stem and core in the first place?
I've been using them for 6 months now. No punctures, so I can't comment on the quality of the repair kit, but I did lose air from one of them like you have. Easily solved by removing the valve core, wrap the thread with a couple of layers of threadseal tape, and put it back in. Problem solved, and now I've proactively done it to not only the tubolito on the other wheel, but also onto my spares. Going to be pretty much my standard practice now.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Stickman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 am
So I'm currently using standard 100g+ butyl tubes but with a long hill sportive coming up I'm looking for any help I can get for my skinny legs as I honestly think I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Are the tubolito road tubes worth trying? 38g vs ~108g for my current butyl tubes.

Or is latex at around ~75g per tube a better option? I'll be in the saddle for 10+ hours if PSI loss is an issue.

If anyone can recommend a specific make and model of their favourite tubes I'd appreciate it. I'm using 38mm rims so need >60mm stems.

I've got disc wheels so no worries about heat buildup on rims. Tyres are GP4000 if that matters. I'm 68kg and not a crazy aggressive descender. I'm already stick-thin so losing body weight isn't a realistic option :)

Thanks
Have had one blowout because the plug replacements for the liner popped out. Other than that, no problem(even with conditions that would cause a pinch flat).
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Svetty

by Svetty

tabl10s wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm
Stickman wrote:
So I'm currently using standard 100g+ butyl tubes but with a long hill sportive coming up I'm looking for any help I can get for my skinny legs as I honestly think I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Are the tubolito road tubes worth trying? 38g vs ~108g for my current butyl tubes.

Or is latex at around ~75g per tube a better option? I'll be in the saddle for 10+ hours if PSI loss is an issue.

If anyone can recommend a specific make and model of their favourite tubes I'd appreciate it. I'm using 38mm rims so need >60mm stems.

I've got disc wheels so no worries about heat buildup on rims. Tyres are GP4000 if that matters. I'm 68kg and not a crazy aggressive descender. I'm already stick-thin so losing body weight isn't a realistic option :)

Thanks
Have had one blowout because the plug replacements for the liner popped out. Other than that, no problem(even with conditions that would cause a pinch flat).
'plug replacements for the liner' - can someone translate?? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Svetty wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:01 pm
tabl10s wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm
Stickman wrote:

Thanks
'plug replacements for the liner' - can someone translate?? :wink:
Wild guess - instead of rim tape he uses veloplugs?