Tubolito road tubes - worthwhile or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Attermann

by Attermann

Just mount them correctly, I have been through lots of them, and so has my father, and none of them has blown or broke without them been punctured by flint before.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Supersonic are fine when
1.) You don't risk pinch flat, this thing is so thin and also much less flexible than latex. It has no chance surviving even a mild bottom out.
2.) Your tire has no hole. This also apply for latex tube but for different reason. While latex tube is too flexible and likes to get itself into the small holes which eventually lead to failure. Supersonic while doesn't do that, it's still thin and fragile. A speck of sand get in the hole, then a few km later with vibration abrasion, it's flat. So after a puncture flat, you supposed to patch the tire also, not just changing the tube. Even if the hole is like 1mm in diameter. For latex, I patch the tire if the hole is larger than 2mm in diameter.

Anyone know how hard Tubolito is against sand abresion? I know they are quite inflexible but not sure about hardness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

An old question, is anyone living in somewhere like alps using latex inner with a rim brake carbon wheelset? I was using the latex before swtiching to tubeless with no issues, but that was flat where I lived.

Since now I have a lot of descendings, I'm thinking about the backup tubes between the latex and the light tube if the sealent and the plug kit don't work.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

alanyu wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:03 pm
I'm thinking about the backup tubes between the latex and the light tube if the sealent and the plug kit don't work.
Latex shouldn't be carry as a back up.
1.) Too high risk of installation mistakes.
2.) It pack larger than light butyl tube.
3.) Latex probably don't like that whenever you use it, there is already a hole in your tire.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

alanyu wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:03 pm
An old question, is anyone living in somewhere like alps using latex inner with a rim brake carbon wheelset? I was using the latex before swtiching to tubeless with no issues, but that was flat where I lived.

Since now I have a lot of descendings, I'm thinking about the backup tubes between the latex and the light tube if the sealent and the plug kit don't work.
I think having one of these light tubes for a spare (or two) is actually the easiest of the choices to make - easy weight savings with no meaningful downsides, apart from cost, but hey, this is WW.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I've been running Michelin latex tubes with no issues, ride is fantastic, no punctures or pinch flats. Going with Silca latex for the new wheels, I like that their extender is threaded, so I can run a nut and not have any rattling/noise and the valve won't move when attaching the pump (def helpful since you already know you're gonna have to pump them up every ride). Don't like having to put tape on a smooth valve stem to keep it from rattling.

ETA - I'm on disc brakes, so no concerns about heating up, and I carry butyl tubes as backups, I haven't had to yet, but in the event of a roadside repair, I wouldn't want to deal with latex, I want to fix it as fast as I can and get back on the road.

alanyu

by alanyu

Thanks for the answer, guys. I will buy some light tubes instead of latex.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 pm
bilwit wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:31 am
I also don't really understand the appeal of Turbolitos when we have latex. More supple, less weight, better rolling resistance, equal or less the price. The air loss/convenience is aspect is fair, but if you use the latest Vittoria ones with the added graphene, it's a lot easier to live with. I would say it's nearly 2x better at holding air, reducing a every-single-day inflation to maybe-every-day (just to top it off, but still rideable without) but definitely-every-other-day, depending on where you start/finish of course. Pumping it up before riding every day was never a big deal to me though.
robertbb wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 pm
Thank you! I didn't realise that the RR penalty for light butyl vs latex is only 1w at 30kph. I though the magic number was 5w per tyre, so 10w all-up.
Some people have had good experiences with the super thin butyl tubes like Conti supersonic or whatever their thinnest model is called but personally I found them extremely fragile and way more prone to pinch flat.
Wait... there are Vittoria latex tubes with Graphene now? No words on that even on Vittoria's website.
You would think Vittoria would make a new box with "Latex now with Graphene" or something stated for the innertubes.
Otherwise, how would you know the difference from New versus older inventory ??

As much as they push Graphene it's basically a vacuum with the Latex innertubes if it does exist.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

CrankyCarbon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 pm
You would think Vittoria would make a new box with "Latex now with Graphene" or something stated for the innertubes.
Otherwise, how would you know the difference from New versus older inventory ??

As much as they push Graphene it's basically a vacuum with the Latex innertubes if it does exist.
Maybe it's just the ones they're making for Silca? That's the only time I've seen it mentioned. Altho, it doesn't say anything about graphene on Silca's site. :noidea:

ETA - Silca confirmed that there is graphene in the tubes that Vittoria makes for them, and it does reduce the amount of pressure loss by more than half. But for whatever reason, it's not an approved marketing story line by Vittoria, so they don't advertise it. :thumbup:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have both the Silca and Vittoria latex tubes. They both leak air. They leak a lot faster than the Supersonic tubes. So if you get latex expect to pump the tires daily. With that said the pumping is a small price to pay for the reduction in RR. There's a measurable diff. in RR. I won't be going back to light butyl tubes. I might try TL next.

Mostlyharmless

by Mostlyharmless

Always thought the name of this brand is “Turbolite” and was wondering why I was never able to find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoddmachine

by hoddmachine

I used to run latex tubes in my Bora 50 rim break wheels until I started popping them like Skittles on a hot descent. Apparently super stretchy latex isn't a very good idea with hot rim break wheels.
Moving over to disc breaks so going to try the latex tubes again with them.

The Tubolitos I wouldn't ride on every day, but they pack the smallest in my toolkit so I always ride with one as a spare. Once home I just swap it out for on of my regular tubes.
Attachments
20190613_181313897_iOS.jpg

rides4beer

by rides4beer

My Silca latex tubes, mounted with GP5000s, lost 2psi over a six hour ride, not too bad. I also like that their extender is threaded, clean setup with the speedshield and nut so the valve doesn't move, which is good since you have to pump them up every ride. No more tape to hold the valve in place. :thumbup:

golty

by golty

I had Tubolitos fitted by my LBS a few days ago, one of them seems fine but the other loses pressure over the space of a few hours (100 down to 30) Clearly this is faulty so will be returning.

Never had an issue like this with Butyl's in the past 4 years.

Wouldn't recommend.

hannawald

by hannawald

I haven´t seen it here:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s/tubolito

Test results are quite good, S Tubo seems very tempting with 23g...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com