Tubolito road tubes - worthwhile or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Svetty wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:01 pm
tabl10s wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm
Stickman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 am
So I'm currently using standard 100g+ butyl tubes but with a long hill sportive coming up I'm looking for any help I can get for my skinny legs as I honestly think I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Are the tubolito road tubes worth trying? 38g vs ~108g for my current butyl tubes.

Or is latex at around ~75g per tube a better option? I'll be in the saddle for 10+ hours if PSI loss is an issue.

If anyone can recommend a specific make and model of their favourite tubes I'd appreciate it. I'm using 38mm rims so need >60mm stems.

I've got disc wheels so no worries about heat buildup on rims. Tyres are GP4000 if that matters. I'm 68kg and not a crazy aggressive descender. I'm already stick-thin so losing body weight isn't a realistic option :)

Thanks
Have had one blowout because the plug replacements for the liner popped out. Other than that, no problem(even with conditions that would cause a pinch flat).
'plug replacements for the liner' - can someone translate?? :wink:
Plugs that cover the spoke holes. One popped out and caused the blowout. Other's came loose and there was inflation at those points but no damage.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

hannawald wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:47 pm
Svetty wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:01 pm
tabl10s wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:39 pm
Stickman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 am
So I'm currently using standard 100g+ butyl tubes but with a long hill sportive coming up I'm looking for any help I can get for my skinny legs as I honestly think I've bitten off more than I can chew!

Are the tubolito road tubes worth trying? 38g vs ~108g for my current butyl tubes.

Or is latex at around ~75g per tube a better option? I'll be in the saddle for 10+ hours if PSI loss is an issue.

If anyone can recommend a specific make and model of their favourite tubes I'd appreciate it. I'm using 38mm rims so need >60mm stems.

I've got disc wheels so no worries about heat buildup on rims. Tyres are GP4000 if that matters. I'm 68kg and not a crazy aggressive descender. I'm already stick-thin so losing body weight isn't a realistic option :)

Thanks
Have had one blowout because the plug replacements for the liner popped out. Other than that, no problem(even with conditions that would cause a pinch flat).
'plug replacements for the liner' - can someone translate?? :wink:
Wild guess - instead of rim tape he uses veloplugs?
mm

"Use to". I've used lightweight cloth strips without problem. In the 80's, there used to be a strip made from thin flexible plastic that light and strong.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

JMeinholdt wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm
I'm giving Tubolito's a go here soon. I'll update this thread with my experience.
Just to give a quick update. I've installed Tubolitos on both of my bikes with no issues. Installation was a breeze. So far they've held air better than any other tube I've used aside from super thick OE level butyl tubes (they're about on par with them). They've held pressure far better than my old Continental Race Light tubes.

I have experienced a couple of niggles though. One is that the valve stem is a thicker plastic and it's kind of challenging to get my pump to seal around it. I hope that isn't an issue with my micro pump or CO2 I carry on the road. Second is that they seem to have a MUCH harsher ride than butyl tubes at the same pressure. I used to run my 37c tires on my 3T at about 35-40psi for most riding, but the tubolitos at that pressure felt rock hard on the road. I've had to drop them down to about 30psi to get a similar feel. Not sure how they affects rolling resistance (if it does at all).

I've only had them for about a week and a half and only put on about 200 miles between both of my bikes, so I can't comment on longevity or durability yet. I did have a wet cold gravel ride with no issues on my 3T using them with no punctures.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I have had great experiences with the tubolito’s rode the whole summer season with them, Climbed and descended Mt Ventoux tree times on carbon rim brakes no issues.

I my opinion they feel more supple than normal butyl inner tubes, I noticed a difference on some of the cobbled sections where I live and in general comfort.

blind76

by blind76

Hi all

I'm thinking about move from tubes to tubolitos or latex. Roval CLX64 and turbo cottons.
I like the tubolitos weight but I'm interestend in how they feel on the road? For example I moved from tubeless (gp5000 tl) becouse I didn't like the road feel in corners...
as far as i understand that latex are great but not sure how tubolitos perfoms...

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Imo they feel better than normal butyl tubes

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

i bought some Tubolito tubes as emergency spares for my road and mountain bikes.... had to fit one to my mountain bike when out in the wilds... immediately started to leak through the valve... pretty pissed off really. Had to resort to the trusty Park Tool GP-2 patch kit... something that NEVER lets you down.

chucked the Tubulito in the back of the car in disgust... may have to fish it out and have a proper look at it.

req110

by req110

Oh now... My tubolito road 39g started leaking around valve area.
Trying to open a ticket with Tubolito, but their web is not working properly :(
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Check back later, they have an excellent customer service. :)
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

req110

by req110

They do. I got voucher for new tube with free shipping. So i ordered s-tubo now. :)

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Serkie wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:04 am
I didn't have much luck with Tubolito's and eventually swapped them out for latex which have so far (2000 km) been reliable.

I found the puncture repair patches unreliable on the Tubolitos, you would fix, test and then reinstall. They would be fine for a few rides and then the patches would randomly fail. Yes I followed the instructions correctly.

I wanted to use my repaired Tubolitos as spares but the patches are too unreliable to count on for me.
Some info on my repair endeavours

First patchkit with glue on the patches doesn't work very well.

Second kit with the separate glue and patches works like a charm it seems if you do some additional step.

My repaired tubo holds already for a month with no issues.

My steps :

- keep one punctured tubo aside (for repairmaterial later)
- apply the patch with seperate glue as per instructions and let it dry. First inflate the tube a bit if possible before applying
- take the fixed tubo and cut some 'tube' from your tube (repair material from now on), wide enough to cover your patches area and cut it once so get a nice flap
- use the provided glue on the cleaned cut flap' and apply it over the patchset area after inflating
So it forms a bit of a new sleeve over your patch area. Let it dry

As said it holds already for amounts with losing any air.

I didn't try it yet but for the next fix I will likely leave out the patch provided and immediately use the 'sleeve' from my cut up spare tubo as repair patch using the supplied glue

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Serkie wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:04 am
I didn't have much luck with Tubolito's and eventually swapped them out for latex which have so far (2000 km) been reliable.

I found the puncture repair patches unreliable on the Tubolitos, you would fix, test and then reinstall. They would be fine for a few rides and then the patches would randomly fail. Yes I followed the instructions correctly.

I wanted to use my repaired Tubolitos as spares but the patches are too unreliable to count on for me.
Some info on my repair endeavours

First patchkit with glue on the patches doesn't work very well.

Second kit with the separate glue and patches works like a charm it seems if you do some additional step.

My repaired tubo holds already for a month with no issues.

My steps :

- keep one punctured tubo aside for repairmaterial later
- apply the patch with seperate glue as per instructions and let it dry. First inflate the tube a bit if possible before applying
- take the fixed tubo and cut some 'tube' from your other tube (repair material from now on), wide enough to cover your patched area and cut it once so get a nice flap
- use the provided glue on complete cleaned flap and apply it over the patchsed area after inflating the tube.
So it forms a bit of a new sleeve over your patch area. Let it dry

As said it holds already for a month with losing any air.

I didn't try it yet but for the next fix I will likely leave out the patch provided and immediately use the 'sleeve' from my cut up tubo as repair patch using the supplied glue

req110

by req110

req110 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:11 am
They do. I got voucher for new tube with free shipping. So i ordered s-tubo now. :)
Got new s-tubo 60mm 21g straight from tubolito technical support. That's a good service.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

I run the 80mm with valve extenders and get slow leaks. It seems to be either the extender to plastic thread or the valve core to extender thread.

Is a small amount of thread tape the best way to handle for both scenarios or is there a specific type of glue that will work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjich

by rjich

I use the CX Tubolito on 35mm anad 38mm tires. Air retention has been fantastic. A welcome change from the lightweight butyl ones. I've swapped them in and out about 5 times and no issues yet, although my tire/rim combos are very friendly without a need for levers.