Any 2020 BMC Teammachine SLR01 Owners out there?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

It is time for a new bike and I am trying to decide what I want to purchase. The 2020 BMC Teammachine is on my shortlist along with the Tarmac SL7 (or maybe the SL6). Looking for owners insight on the Teammachine.

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AMGRoadster wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:09 am
It is time for a new bike and I am trying to decide what I want to purchase. The 2020 BMC Teammachine is on my shortlist along with the Tarmac SL7 (or maybe the SL6). Looking for owners insight on the Teammachine.

A lot of new bikes are coming out this spring. The most dramatic departure from the outgoing model will probably be the Trek Emonda.

Macias

by Macias

I had two SLR02 in the last 2 years, one disc and one rim! I've also rode the SLR01 Disc, wo what do you want to know ?

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:37 am
AMGRoadster wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:09 am

A lot of new bikes are coming out this spring. The most dramatic departure from the outgoing model will probably be the Trek Emonda.
Understood & agreed about all the bikes coming out this year. I am trying to hold off until they are released but it is tough some days. I will have to see if I can find any info on the new Trek Emonda.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

Macias wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:41 pm
I had two SLR02 in the last 2 years, one disc and one rim! I've also rode the SLR01 Disc, wo what do you want to know ?
Mainly I am looking to get your thoughts and impressions on the bike. There is a lot of climbing in my area. Most of them are not long climbs but the elevation gain adds up. My next bike will be a Disc bike.

I took a short ride on an SLR01 the other day. Nice bike and it felt great. But it is a bit heavier than I would like, I am not sure about the wheels it comes with, I would like to be able to fit wider tires. Yes, I can drop some weight and swap out the wheels but given the price I would rather not start swapping out a bunch of expensive parts. I figure whatever bike I get I will swap handlebars and some other items. There are a couple of other items that are (for me) preventing the BMC from being a Grand Slam but it is one of the few bikes on my shortlist.

Macias

by Macias

Really loved those bikes, I'd say invest in a good pair of wheels to unlesh its full potential,
I've tried Mavic Cosmic, CLX50 and Enve 3.4 on them and it makes a huge difference! To help with putting the power down, i'd also put a one piece BB, my 65 kg body didnt noticed a certain softness but a old collegue of mine did (80 kg).

Personnaly i'd go with the SLR01 Disc Four, switch the wheels and handlebar, then a couple of small parts (expander, thru-axle, cassette, saddle, better BB and rotors...), but I work for an other bike shop now and we dont sell BMC like my old job :(

Hopes this helps! If you have any other question feel free to ask!

Pukutis

by Pukutis

Macias wrote:Really loved those bikes, I'd say invest in a good pair of wheels to unlesh its full potential,
I've tried Mavic Cosmic, CLX50 and Enve 3.4 on them and it makes a huge difference! To help with putting the power down, i'd also put a one piece BB, my 65 kg body didnt noticed a certain softness but a old collegue of mine did (80 kg).

Personnaly i'd go with the SLR01 Disc Four, switch the wheels and handlebar, then a couple of small parts (expander, thru-axle, cassette, saddle, better BB and rotors...), but I work for an other bike shop now and we dont sell BMC like my old job :(

Hopes this helps! If you have any other question feel free to ask!
Hello Macias,

Thanks for the input. I am happy owner of a Bmc slr01 four disc. I have switch most of the components —> DA electronic, handlebar, seat etc i have two questions:
I want to get new wheels, and get the roval 800€ cheaper than enve, which one would you take?

Second, which expander and thru axle would you recommend?

Much appreciated your response!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macias

by Macias

I'd go with Roval easily, Enve are amazing but not worth the extra money...
Use that extra money for a Darimo seatpost!

For the expander I used https://www.jrc-components.com/products ... t-expander, I dont know if it works with the integrated stem...
and thru axle, I dont really know since I didnt change them...

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

Thanks for the insight. I am considering the SLR01 Two. I miss electronic shifting and am planning on going with DA on this bike.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Macias wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:41 pm
I just recently purchasd a SLR02 and i'm curious how it compares to the 01.

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Macias

by Macias

scapewalker wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:03 pm

I just recently purchasd a SLR02 and i'm curious how it compares to the 01.

Would you mind sharing your experience?
It's the same geometry, so just slightly heavier and flexible, but like 10%... So a couple of lower weight parts and a stiffer BB and you're all set!

oceanview

by oceanview

@AMGRoadster what did you end up deciding?

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

oceanview wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:11 am
@AMGRoadster what did you end up deciding?
I have not made a decision yet. I am trying to hold out and see what is in store with the new bikes. I have not yet had a chance to take either the Tarmac or the Teammachine out for an extended ride.

by Weenie

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Macias wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 pm
I'd go with Roval easily, Enve are amazing but not worth the extra money...
Use that extra money for a Darimo seatpost!

For the expander I used https://www.jrc-components.com/products ... t-expander, I dont know if it works with the integrated stem...
and thru axle, I dont really know since I didnt change them...
The disc fork doesn’t have a round steerer tube so that expander won’t work. The disc fork has a foam core which you screw the top cap into to set the preload.

The stock thru axles are already light (54g for the pair) so you won’t get much savings there.