Avio powermeter

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JMOS

by JMOS

Hi all, is there anyone on this forum who is using an avio powermeter? It appears to be an attractive option in terms of costs, but is it also reliable? Has anyone glued on/set up the powermeter on their own? Thanks a lot in advance!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Do you have some info on it? Maybe it's new to this forum.

by Weenie

jekyll man

by jekyll man

The only person I know that had one, ended up sending it back, after countless problems with it.
Out of whack readings
No readings
Wouldn't connect
Wouldn't update firmware
Even the dealer couldn't get it to update.

If you really want something like this, then look at the 4iiii
Official cafe stop tester

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'm not familiar with the Avio, but I went the DIY route with the Watteam Powerbeat and I'd be a bit leery of going that route again. Watteam's customer support was great, but it was plagued with problems from the start. In the end, I ended up going with used Quarq meters, which have served me very well and Quarq has provided me with some excelent support dispite not being the original owner.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Do you have some fringe need? Is this on a third bike?

There's not much of a case for the Avio - $176 + install kit $35. Even without looking at the actual product, that home install is never going to be in perfect alignment on the arm. It won't be calibrated for the various specific revision of a partical crank arm. It only works with the usual Shimano arms.

I'd put this somewhere between a bad crank arm PM and a Powerpod at best for accuracy. This might even just be a cadence, inertia sensor. I wouldn't even use it for the most casual of use. You're waaaayyyy better off with a used 4iiiiiiiiiiii, stages, Pioneer, or even the asian market PMs.

Here are some PM comparisons:
https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/avio-po ... n/5905/104
Zoom into some of those.... the data looks like absolute shit and has lots of dropouts. Just run.
https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/publi ... 7a197c7f91

JMOS

by JMOS

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:24 pm
Do you have some fringe need? Is this on a third bike?

There's not much of a case for the Avio - $176 + install kit $35. Even without looking at the actual product, that home install is never going to be in perfect alignment on the arm. It won't be calibrated for the various specific revision of a partical crank arm. It only works with the usual Shimano arms.

I'd put this somewhere between a bad crank arm PM and a Powerpod at best for accuracy. This might even just be a cadence, inertia sensor. I wouldn't even use it for the most casual of use. You're waaaayyyy better off with a used 4iiiiiiiiiiii, stages, Pioneer, or even the asian market PMs.

Here are some PM comparisons:
https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/avio-po ... n/5905/104
Zoom into some of those.... the data looks like absolute shit and has lots of dropouts. Just run.
https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/publi ... 7a197c7f91
Thanks everyone for their input. If I remember correctly there were even some bike shop who'd stock them. I wonder if they still do given their apparent reputation. But then again, one would really need to know how many of their powermeters they have sold (are the customers complaining a small fraction or a sigificant part of all consumer?).

JMOS

by JMOS

double post

Morritz

by Morritz

Avio initially provided strain gauge power meters for rowers, and then transitioned into crank arm based PM's. As with any new company putting their toes in the water, I think they had a lot of issues around data inconsistencies, drop outs and temperature issues.

Avio will fit the device to your crank arm if you send it to them, and this seems to be the better way to ensure the device is set up and calibrated correctly, and it comes in at a price point that can't be sniffed at.

How they are doing now I'm not sure, but if you are new to training with power, this might be a good place to start?
Cannondale SS HM 2020

by Weenie