Vittoria Tubular Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I've sent Merlin these screenshots and everytime, they just keep repeating that all these tires listed are butyl. When I spoke with Vittoria they said they only manufacture the Corsa G+ Tubular with a latex innertube (also stated on their website) and that they have no idea what's going on with these butyl offerings, only maybe they were a special order. Vittoria also said they will not offer warranty for these tires.

Additionally, the tire I have exhibits a very noticable wheel hop because of an irregular section that is larger in diameter, so there also seems to be a manufacturing error in these "special order tires".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

Most websites that sell stuff have a disclaimer about accuracy and Merlin does too.
But this seems to obscure of a difference that they should take a refund. But you say you live on the opposite side of the planet. I would think the return shipping would make it expensive to ship back.

I've never bought anything from Merlin, but have from Probikekit.
Sometimes I have noticed PBK price differences, and that comes from time of ordering, where it is being shipped from and the money conversion not a different line item like Merlin. Some stuff could be priced based upon when the stock was bought at that particular price, versus newer inventories. But that would be an internal thing. You never know.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:59 am
I've sent Merlin these screenshots and everytime, they just keep repeating that all these tires listed are butyl. When I spoke with Vittoria they said they only manufacture the Corsa G+ Tubular with a latex innertube (also stated on their website) and that they have no idea what's going on with these butyl offerings, only maybe they were a special order. Vittoria also said they will not offer warranty for these tires.

Additionally, the tire I have exhibits a very noticable wheel hop because of an irregular section that is larger in diameter, so there also seems to be a manufacturing error in these "special order tires".
That wheel hop is concerning. I've always bought the Corsa (or whatever top of the line) to eliminate any hop of trend shifting like you get on the cheaper tubulars like the Rally or when someone fixes it and their sewing tie isn't flat.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:53 pm
I believe Josh Poertner from Silca said on one of his podcasts that Vittoria are now adding Graphene to the latex in their innertubes, it is supossed to hold pressure like butyl but still roll like latex.
There is apparently a Josh Poertner podcast about this but I have not found it (haven't searched intently either).
If that is the case I may go back to the latest latex - assuming they are not priced like Gold.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Merlin has so far made it clear they are going to do nothing about the issues with this tire, so it looks like I'll need to get over being outright ripped off. Vittoria does NOT sell the G+ Corsa Tubular with butyl innertubes.

Merlin would not address their drop down menu conflict showing the butyl tire and the next one below, same size with no mention of butyl, which I assumed was latex as I have shown with the screen capture. They just keep repeating that all these tires have butyl innertubes, which makes no sense.

The G+Corsa Tubular I have is unusable with the bulge defect so it is useless.

Just want to remind everyone that Vittoria will not provide any warranty from Merlin and PBK, and they do not speak favorably about each of them as well.

I think it is prudent that anyone seeking to buy this tubular should confirm it is the latex version and have them put it in writing.

I do not like being ripped off.