I contacted TIME about a new aero bike and this is what they said...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

A new Aero bike is coming for the FELT brand not with the TIME brand.
I was somewhat surprised to learn that Time and Felt were collaborating but a quick google search and it turns out they're owned by Rossignol so it all makes sense now.

Does anyone know if Felt frames are produced with the same attention to detail as TIME frames?
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

g32ecs

by g32ecs

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm
A new Aero bike is coming for the FELT brand not with the TIME brand.
I was somewhat surprised to learn that Time and Felt were collaborating but a quick google search and it turns out they're owned by Rossignol so it all makes sense now.

Does anyone know if Felt frames are produced with the same attention to detail as TIME frames?
There was a discussion about this in the new Felt AR thread

What detail are you asking about? Ive never owned a Time frame (I've had a Look though)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:10 pm
What detail are you asking about? Ive never owned a Time frame (I've had a Look though)
RTM & CMT are the 2 processes TIME uses during frame manufacture. It was in a 2013 Bikeradar video where I last heard/saw this: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/time ... -are-made/

It's my impression that TIME frames are made to a higher standard than most.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

wltz

by wltz

I think Look/Time have a factory in Morocco, there's a GCN video where they tour the facility and show how the frames are manufactured. I don't know if that factory builds all of their frames or just the high-end. Anyways, a close to home manufacturing base definitely gives them extra points in the eyes of Hambini, I think he even mentioned that as a factor, although I am not 100% on that.

My Felt FR frame was made in Taiwan. It makes sense for an American (especially Californian) company to source from the Far East, just as it makes sense for the French to make use of free-trade agreements with the Maghreb countries and their enduring economic presence in the former colonies. While indirectly, I hope that answers your question, Felt frames are NOT built at the same factory as Time/Look.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had a few Time frames pass through my hands. They do seem to be built to a higher level of quality. the carbon/vectran weaves are spectacular looking and perfect. They don't need to cover the frame with filler and paint it black like some manufactuers.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

It does answer my question and I spotted the Made in Taiwan decal on the frame of the bike featured in bikeradars review of the new AR.

I was always curious about the methods used by TIME and the resulting product quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Jugi

by Jugi

VTR1000SP2 wrote: Does anyone know if Felt frames are produced with the same attention to detail as TIME frames?
I have owned only one Felt so my sample size isn't very big (but hey, that seems to qualify an opinion these days!). When I installed a Wheels MFG thread-together bottom bracket in my F4x, the first side pressed in with minor effort and it made that satisfying "shunk" sound while going in. Just like pushing an almost air-tightly fitting piston into a bore. When threading in the other side, the first stayed put and didn't begin to rotate with the other half.

That put a smile on my face.

Antoine

by Antoine

wltz wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 pm
I think Look/Time have a factory in Morocco ...
No , Look and Time are 2 different companies. Look has its own factory in Tunisia and some frames are probably still made in France.
Time has factories in France and Slovakia.

kgt

by kgt

Both Time and Felt are owned by Rossignol but this is the only thing they share.

Time does not use prepeg carbon sheets like everyone else but actually weave their carbon (only Giant does that in their hi-end frames). Time is the only company that uses RTM process (more exact and more espensive), CMT molding etc. There are a few videos online showing these special processes.

Time used to be 100% made in France. Now they are made in Slovakia and France (weaving in Slovakia and molding in France or both weaving and molding in Slovakia and finishing in France... it depends). In any case they still have their own factories, they still weave their carbon tubes, they still use RTM molding etc. so the quality is still as great as it used to be.
Time frames have a manufacturing quality that is rare nowadays (see what hambini and Luescher have to say about Time frames' manufacturing tolerances, or the perfection of Time forks etc.). The worrying thing for Time fans (like me) is that there is not a new Time model since 2018. Although Rossignol say that they want to make Time stronger I personally doubt they have an actual strategy that will make Time survive and evolve. In most French forums this is what most people believe too...

Felt are just outsourced in Taiwan like most other manufacturers do.

Look used to be 100% made in France. Then made in Tunisia, in their own factory. Nowadays I am afraid that most Look frames are outsourced in Taiwan-China (I hope I am wrong). I personally still like Look frames.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Jugi wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:41 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote: Does anyone know if Felt frames are produced with the same attention to detail as TIME frames?
I have owned only one Felt so my sample size isn't very big (but hey, that seems to qualify an opinion these days!). When I installed a Wheels MFG thread-together bottom bracket in my F4x, the first side pressed in with minor effort and it made that satisfying "shunk" sound while going in. Just like pushing an almost air-tightly fitting piston into a bore. When threading in the other side, the first stayed put and didn't begin to rotate with the other half.

That put a smile on my face.
While I never enjoyed rebuilding a block like I do assembling a bicycle, I can appreciate the joy of things just working the way they should.
kgt wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 pm
The worrying thing for Time fans (like me) is that there is not a new Time model since 2018. Although Rossignol say that they want to make Time stronger I personally doubt they have an actual strategy that will make Time survive and evolve. In most French forums this is what most people believe too...
The Alpe D'Huez disc is relatively new to the lineup showing up in 2019 so I hope that this isn't it.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

g32ecs

by g32ecs

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:23 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:10 pm
RTM & CMT are the 2 processes TIME uses during frame manufacture. It was in a 2013 Bikeradar video where I last heard/saw this: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/time ... -are-made/

It's my impression that TIME frames are made to a higher standard than most.
Ive owned the previous gen Felt AR and I have to say I've had 0 problems with the frame for about 15,000kms now

The only problem I had was the locking/clamp mechanism that they used for the seatpost which is made by 3T. It's not Felts problem.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Products with higher standards ofter have better manufacturing quality and finishing.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have two Time frames, an 08VXR and 12RXRS. I can say that the manufacturing tolerances for the RXRS BB30 is spot on as I have never had any creaks from brgings creeping or moving in any way. The only time they are noisy is when they get dirty but clean and or replace and good to go. Its sad that you dont see the pros or second tier teams using Time in France much at all any longer. I havent noticed any this year so far at least.
Both frames are great to ride and I still enjoy riding both even though I have the Colnago V2R.
Here is a link to the manufacturing for Time. Its pretty cool to watch. The second link is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ffKebNPbs
https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/story
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com