Colnago V3 build and fitting Campagnolo 12 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michael

by michael

Hi guys,

I'm building a new race bike for my coming 2020 races. Now I would like to ask your help with the build of a Colnago V3. :oops:

Im trying to install Campagnolo Chorus 12 speed cranks but they won't fit the Colnago cups.
Even when taking the bearings off from the crank.
Those Colnago cups (Threadfit?) were already fitted when buying the bike.
The bearing seems to be integrated in the Colnago cups.

Using Campagnolo cups won't work as they don't fit the frame.

The dimensions just seem off. See photos in the attachment.

Any idea's? :oops: :noidea:
Thanks for your input.
Michael. :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4515.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

The ThreadFit sleeves are pre-installed (threaded) into the frame at the factory. At some point someone has installed some non-Campagnolo BB86 bearings into those sleeves on your frame. They need to be removed (and the ThreadFit sleeves left in place) before you can press in your Campagnolo Ultra-Torque cups. Before installing the cups, the sleeves should look like this:

Then you just install the cranks as normal - there is no need to remove the bearings from your cranks.

michael

by michael

Thanks for your fast reply.

I was considering replacing the bottom bracket and found some information below.
Colnago CeramicSpeed T45 Bottom Bracket
T45 is the Colnago standard, though it's sometimes known as ThreadFit82.5. This kit allows you to install Campagnolo and Fulcrum Ultra-Torque cranks on your ThreadFit bb Colnago.

But your information tells me it should be possible to take the bearings out from the Colnago cups, and keep the sleeves in place. Will try now! 8) :D
Attachments
35235_.jpg

mag

by mag

You can go either way. With Colnago cups you get to the BB86 standard, so you press in BB86 Campagnolo cups and then cranks...
If you want to use that T45 BB from CeramicSpeed, you need to remove (unscrew) the Colnago cups, then install the T45 BB and then cranks...
In most cases you should be fine with the 1st approach. The 2nd one may be useful if you're dealing with some creaking and are unable to resolve it by proper reinstallation. The CeramicSpeed BB is quite pricey and not really necessary.

michael

by michael

Bearing came out!
This Colnago seems to be ready for finishing the with the Campagnolo built :up: :thumbup:

Thanks and more photo's coming soon :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_4518.JPG

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Just out of curiosity, how did you get a V3 frame only? I thought they were only complete bikes, and the V3RS was available as a frameset.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

FYI, some of us have experienced clicking sound when using Campy's BB86 cups. I think it's a problem with the Campy cups. The Ceramic Speed solution seems to solve this. Considering the cost, I would try the Campy cups first.

mag

by mag

joeyb1000 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm
Just out of curiosity, how did you get a V3 frame only? I thought they were only complete bikes, and the V3RS was available as a frameset.
That's why (I think) there was that bearing already pressed in.. It was probably purchased as a complete bike, then stripped, but not completely.

michael

by michael

Absolutely correct. :D V3RS was too expensive for me... especially for racing purposes. Bought the V3 and tossed the SRAM gruppo. The small weight difference won't be noticed.

Same reason to choose Chorus over Record. :thumbup:

mag wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:53 pm
joeyb1000 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:13 pm
That's why (I think) there was that bearing already pressed in.. It was probably purchased as a complete bike, then stripped, but not completely.

derosa2000

by derosa2000

I agree completely , V3 is excellent value . You can get V3 with new 12s etap Force AXS at around 3500€ or 3800$ and you will have even R41 handlebars with this combo .

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I went with the Ceramic Speed on my V2R when installing a DA crank. I was a little skepticle on the CS BB as it was pricey and having ceramic down there near all the dirt and crap and rain didnt give me a good feeling. Its going on three years now and they still spin with very little resistance, noise free, and they must have really good seals cause I have not had to clean bearings yet. No regrets buying the CS and Merlin likely has the best deal on this BB that I have come across yet. They also have a good warranty but cant remember off the top of my head. Just a heads up in case you were considering it. Oh yeah nice bike by the way I think you will like it once its built.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

alexaqui

by alexaqui

derosa2000 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 pm
I agree completely , V3 is excellent value . You can get V3 with new 12s etap Force AXS at around 3500€ or 3800$ and you will have even R41 handlebars with this combo .
My local shop tried to convince me to go the V3 route as well since a complete bike is cheaper than the V3rs frameset alone. Colnago is doing a piss poor job of marketing this stuff. Vague comments about "slightly heavier" and "cheaper carbon" did not make me feel comfortable with almost no real ride reports or reviews out there. Went with another brand instead...

I how much does your frame weight? Very curious about total build weight with chorus! Wish you all the best. I may stil end up with one.

michael

by michael

I could not find much info on the V3 as well, but it looked similar as the V3RS :D - probably a bit heavier and some small differences in the decals/paint job.
Being used to Colnago C40 / C50 I never had a sloping frame. But this V3(RS) looks amazing, and I can't say that of much sloping frames.
For racing the V3 is more then good... a crash is easily made... riding a 8-10k V3RS bike in the peloton is not comfortable.

Instead I saved some money to purchase the Campagnolo Bora WTO disc wheels :twisted:
Still need to purchase some Campagnolo Disc spare wheels for in the team car... think Zonda's.

Tried to get the same fitting on this 54cm V3 frame as on my 58cm ct Colnago C50.
Seems to work, only switched from 13cm stem to 12cm stem.
Handlebar needs to be tilted a bit still. 8)

Some photos below of a Campagnolo Record 11sp crank installed with O'symetric chainrings. 12 speed Campagnolo cranks don't fit O'symetric.
Actually I'm used to riding Rotor Qrings but they are discontinued and will not be produced for 11 or 12 speed Campagnolo.
O'symmetric is not available for 12 speed, only for 11 speed. So I guess this was the only way to get it working.

Installed old school Elite Patao full carbon bottle cages. San Marco Concor saddle for comfort, in white of course. :D
Dura Ace pedals, I just prefer SPD-SL over other systems. The only Shimano part on the bike. :oops:
Lets conclude it's a custom build. :D

When the bike is finished I will weigh it for sure. It feels as if it's not gonna be a superlight bike. I estimate 7.5kgs :o
Maybe I will get some lighter tires.
Attachments
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG
Last edited by michael on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

corky

by corky

Great logic buying a V3RS. And not the RS for racing....bike looks really good.

Another difference (I think) is that the V3 has a round steerer rather than. The D shaped of the disk RS this means you can't run hidden internal hydro and electric cables via the r41 stem......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

Anyone know if the V models are all made in Taiwan, like the CLX? They usually have a made in Taiwan sticker under the BB.