Zipp 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

slake21 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 am

maybe it's just the sidewall of the tire? :noidea:

It tapers into nothingness aka it's just the lighting on the finish of the rim.

by Weenie

Alfus

by Alfus

moyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:03 am
Saw tooth Lives! LOL

overweight?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Looking at those I'm glad I just bought de black on black 2019 ones.

Also doesn't look like a V-Shape to me, quite the opposite actually with a big blunt U-shape. Looks more like the 13-in-a-dozen* rim that the Chinese have been producing if you ask me.

*Don't know if that saying translates :)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

With the ascent of solid Chinese rim offerings laced on hubs of your choice, you can customize wheels to your weight, riding style and other parameters of your choice. Zipp, Enve and other manufacturers (with the exception of Campag with Boras) with 3k+ pricing on a pair of wheels have lost it for me; no "revolutionary" shape or new logos are going to change that.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thats some serious ugly...

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
Thats some serious ugly...

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Yep, hit every branch on the way down...
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

bespoke

by bespoke

Graphics are shocking....how to make expensive wheels look cheap
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

M4lukz

by M4lukz

The DA wheels right to the left of him are "stealthier" and way more good looking... These new logos are ... terrible?

robeambro

by robeambro

At least old Zipp's looked "cool" and had a certain "status" about them. These look like any other wheel. Surely they'll claim they're faster and all of that, but as somebody else has already pointed out, when you can have a custom-built one via eg. LB/Farsports for a fraction of the price, there's very little incentive to justify the purchase.

colagreek

by colagreek

robeambro wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm
At least old Zipp's looked "cool" and had a certain "status" about them. These look like any other wheel. Surely they'll claim they're faster and all of that, but as somebody else has already pointed out, when you can have a custom-built one via eg. LB/Farsports for a fraction of the price, there's very little incentive to justify the purchase.
Completely agree, not to mention Zipp need to cut some weight from their designs to remain in play at this price point. Current gen 303 Firecrest weigh 200g more than a set of CLX and they are priced identically. Not to mention Roval is using DTSwiss internals...

rides4beer

by rides4beer

robeambro wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm
Agreed. Light Bicycle's WR56 tested the same as the Zipp 404s (and only 2w slower than 808s, 1w slower than Enve 7.8s). The Yoeleo C50s tested about the same. Hell, you can get a set of Prime RR50s for under $500 (with tires & tubes) and they were only 1w slower than the 404s.

The only reason to buy Zipp, Enve, etc. is for status, there are no peformance gains over more reasonably priced options.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Merlins Cycles is having a huge sale on Zipp wheels. Pretty reasonable to think new Zipp's with some ugly ass graphics coming in 2020.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm glad I dumped my Zipp 404's a couple of weeks ago. I think the reason Zipp, ENVE, et al. will hold onto value is because people trust the manufacturer, not because they bring anything spectacular to the table.

Changing the subject, though: I have to give props to Bontrager on the braking surface of the Aeolus XXX wheels. Man, are they good! Wet, dry, doesn't matter - they just stop.
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

golty

by golty

Those graphics must be a joke surely

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 pm
I'm glad I dumped my Zipp 404's a couple of weeks ago. I think the reason Zipp, ENVE, et al. will hold onto value is because people trust the manufacturer, not because they bring anything spectacular to the table.

Changing the subject, though: I have to give props to Bontrager on the braking surface of the Aeolus XXX wheels. Man, are they good! Wet, dry, doesn't matter - they just stop.

The only reason I am sticking with ENVE right now is the lifetime free crash replacements. Other than that I'd be using Bontrager due to team pricing. If not for that, probably Light Bicycle.

by Weenie