Cane Creek EE G4 Brakes: Too Much Compromise?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
RichardL

by RichardL

I have to admit that I have an obsession with light rim brakes. I started out with a set of KCNC C7 brakes, which did a decent job as I only weighed 58 kg at the time. I then replaced the C7's with a set of Ciamillo Lekki 8 brakes, which took some trial and error to set up correctly. Last year I replaced the Lekki 8's with KCNC CB10 brakes, which are much stiffer than the C7's but almost just as light. The CB10's felt great with SRAM Red 22 mechanical road levers and had plenty of stopping power. Just recently I replaced the CB10's with Cane Creek EE regular mount G4 brakes since I read about their great power and modulation. The EE's don't seem to be as firm as the CB10's and feel somewhat spongy near the end of the SRAM Red lever's travel. In fact, the brake levers need to travel more to achieve max braking power. I'm currently using Ashima Reaction cables and housings cut to proper length (took me a couple of tries) but will order a set of Jagwire Elite Links to see if it helps.

I ran across this review from CyclingTips: https://cyclingtips.com/2015/11/eecycle ... es-review/

Here is an exerpt from the link above:
The eebrake isn’t a linear-pull caliper, but Craig Edwards was able to allow for the change in cable pull from Shimano’s newest levers with his latest iteration of the eebrake. However, optimising the eebrake for these levers would mean sacrificing compatibility with other brands (and older Shimano levers), so Craig settled on a compromise.
Perhaps too much compromise has been made to get the latest generation to work adequately with Shimano’s SLR-EV levers?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you changed housing at the same time as you went ee then maybe try a different housing first. Nowadays I always file the ends nice and flat to avoid spongyness.

What of your pads?

Ee brakes with bora red pads have a ridiculously strong bite. My heavy friend uses them. I don't need ee brakes personally because I'm lightweight but otherwise I use the same rims and brake pads as he does. I love how "crappy" calipers that noone wants work nicely for light people like me after swapping in some bora reds and using a good rim. I can get a very good dollar/gram upgrade this way.

RyanH

by RyanH

Which wheels are you using? I've had about 10 pairs of ee over the last few years and the latest Gen with SRAM pair with a good wheelset like Boras is the holy grail of rim braking in my opinion. I absolutely disdain eTap since it's incapable of shifting the front reliably but I put up with it because the braking is that good. It's the goldilocks of braking. Awesome from the hoods and from the drops. Better than any OEM combo out there in my opinion.

Now, setup is critical. With 24.6mm (or is it 24.8?) wide Boras, I use two spacers on each side. I have the Bontrager xxx now which are 28mm wide or so and I think I should go back down to a single spacer on each side but if your wheels are around 25mm, then use two spacers per side. It makes a big improvement. G4 is designed around a wide rim...really wide.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

Mostlyharmless

by Mostlyharmless

Just get a pair of THMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Mostlyharmless wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 am
Just get a pair of THMs

And you will realise how good your original brakes really are... 😉
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

Marin

by Marin

With 58kgs, do you really need all that braking power?

I weigh 75-80 and had my light bike set up with Cialillo Zero Gs on old Farsports rims, and had no trouble coming to a stop. Just pull harder. BTW I live in the Alps.

KCookie

by KCookie

Wingnut wrote:
Mostlyharmless wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 am
Just get a pair of THMs

And you will realise how good your original brakes really are... Image
Been on THMs for 3 years, but never used another brake, so nothing to compare with, but I'm looking forward to trying DA9100 on another build.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mostlyharmless

by Mostlyharmless

I have both THM Fibula and Dura Ace 9100. Cant argue that 9100 have the best braking performance amount all the rim brakes. But it’s triple the weight of Fibula, and I feel that Fibula have enough braking performance I need. So I’ll stick with Fibula.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Don't fibulas work better with sram levers? Like ee's I hear it's a tiny bit better.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I'm not too keen on the look/aesthetics of the EE brakes. I realise they're an engineering work of art.
You like the KNC? Here, maybe look at these? :?

nickf

by nickf

Both sets of my ee brakes have been flawless. Running them with jagwire elite link cables. One bike has farsports wheels with farsports pads, excellent braking power. Other bike is bontrager aeolus 5's with black Prince pads, not as much initial bite but not spongy.

RichardL

by RichardL

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 am
Nowadays I always file the ends nice and flat to avoid spongyness.

What of your pads?
I too always file the ends nice and flat. Pads are Reynolds Cryo Blue and wheels are Reynolds Attack carbon clinchers. Keep in mind that braking was great using these pads on my previous KCNC CB10 brakes, which weigh roughly the same as the EE brakes.

RichardL

by RichardL

RyanH wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am
Which wheels are you using?

Now, setup is critical. With 24.6mm (or is it 24.8?) wide Boras, I use two spacers on each side. I have the Bontrager xxx now which are 28mm wide or so and I think I should go back down to a single spacer on each side but if your wheels are around 25mm, then use two spacers per side. It makes a big improvement. G4 is designed around a wide rim...really wide.
I am using Reynolds Attack carbon clinchers, which are 25mm wide at the brake track. Currently have only one spacer per side according to installation instructions:

I can try using two spacers per side.

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, try 2 spacers. The spacer guidelines are not specific to which lever you're using, each has a different cable pull ratio. One other thing to check is to make sure the pads are fully seated at the end of the shoe. It's easy to not fully push the pads in which will cause the rear of the pad to stick out a bit.

Other than that, the lever pull you get with SRAM is what I personally like the most, tons of modulation. I dislike 9150 because you squeeze the levers and immediately have unyielding resistance. Max stopping power happens with minimal lever travel. With sram and ee you have to really pull the lever to lock up the brakes. In my opinion that's a plus and something you'll get used to. However, it should not feel spongy so if it's spongy feeling it's either the pads not fully seated or the cable housing not fully seated in the levers or something like that.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

RichardL

by RichardL

synchronicity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am
You like the KNC? Here, maybe look at these? :?
Thanks, but I prefer the appearance of the KCNC CB10's better:

Only 171 grams complete with pads, just as light as the original C7's.