Orbea Gets Roasted By A Five-year Old.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
LeDuke

by LeDuke

[keep it civil - RyanH]

bilwit

by bilwit

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:30 am
Your idea of entertainment is much different than mine. I enjoy a great documentry or even a docu-drama, not "keeping up with the Kadashians" side show. Sure, I aplaud him for his education, but abhore the delivery. I won't ever speak ill of autistic people and their contributions to society, but I can't endorse this one.
Funnily enough, he actually used to be quite tame and "more professional" in his early vids--which even earned him a guest spot on GCN, but he never had any following until he took up the foul-mouthed persona. Yes, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way and gains him a lot of enemies BUT I think the majority of people find it entertaining and that it keeps them engaged when they would otherwise not be. Luescher Teknik is the other Youtuber that touches on similar topics, but his videos are an absolute bore. You need some sort of personality to reach the most people on that platform, Hambini has found his.

He could do a lot better with scripting the whole thing and putting effort into editing the video, but unlike other Youtubers, Youtube isn't his livelihood and he's not looking for validation from the cycling industry or community. That makes him more credible to my eye.

by Weenie

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I find Luescher Teknik's videos quite boring too, he's mostly just describing how the layup looks like and usually the video ends with him not saying anything about the impact of those imperfections.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

LeDuke wrote:[keep it civil - RyanH]
Perhaps you should warn the person who said something a lot worse, instead of the person who called him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:56 am
I find Luescher Teknik's videos quite boring too, he's mostly just describing how the layup looks like and usually the video ends with him not saying anything about the impact of those imperfections.

I liked when GPLama and Maven visited him on their own channels. I like his cut-up bikes content. I'm a little disappointed that he never cut up the buckled Venn Rev 35 TCD I sent him.

Aeo

by Aeo

Hambini is a good example of Surgeons Should Not Look Like Surgeons

PSM

by PSM

Why are you talking like Hambini wasn't here?

kgt

by kgt

As C36 said it is us, the consumers, who pushed some great manufacturers away of the market by prefering lower quality, outsourced carbon frames just because we are victims of marketing and scientist BS.

Companies with excellent manufacturing who tried to control their production like Time or Look (I am not sure contemporary Look frames are as well made as they used to be) or Parlee or Calfee or... cannot compete anymore. They have two options: either to close or to lower their manufacturing standards like most others did.

And this is our fault and it is the same with many other products like clothes, shoes, etc.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Western manufacturing has been in a decline for a while now. It's too expensive to make anything in small production. Businesses are overburdened with bureaucracy.

They have to sleep in the bed they've made. (I'm a european living in China)

If chinese salaries increase the way they've done they'll have to outsource to poorer countries (and bring those up too). Maybe we'll see Giant - Made in Africa soon. :)

RyanH

by RyanH

LeDuke wrote:
LeDuke wrote:[keep it civil - RyanH]
Perhaps you should warn the person who said something a lot worse, instead of the person who called him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked for a few minutes and couldn't find it, since you posted a screen shot and didn't quote it. Tell me which post and I'll remove that too.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

alexaqui

by alexaqui

I have enjoyed the Hambini videos, particularly his early ones (the Cervelo BBRight explanation video was terrific). As I am in the market for 2 new bikes and someone who lost a lot of money on "something" being wrong with his $$$$ Italian bike/components, I get worried when I see this information. The internet is full of opinions and it is hard to tell the reality of the trend vs. the few vocal outliers. What is the path forward?

I'm looking at Colnago, Specialized, and Cervelo - they are all expensive commodities. As someone who has put together a race car, I also know that anything aftermarket has huge tolerance issues (even with the brands he loves - a local race team despises SKG bearings when I've had zero issues for example).

It's nice to admire the problem - what's the solution? Where should we put our money?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The thing about Yoeleo is they aren't actually a manufacturer AFAIK. They're just a Chinese brand that orders frames and rims from same second/third tier Chinese factories as all the other guys we like to poke fun at.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

kgt wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am
Companies with excellent manufacturing who tried to control their production like Time or Look (I am not sure contemporary Look frames are as well made as they used to be) or Parlee or Calfee or... cannot compete anymore. They have two options: either to close or to lower their manufacturing standards like most others did.
I don't know about their past level of quality beyond the great reputation, but being the current owner of a LOOK 785 RS I'll state that the carbon layup is both thoughtful engineering and truly effective.

In in building it up, I found the tolerances to be near perfect.

On the downside, I'll absolutely cast shade at the paint clearcoat for being thin, uneven and quite disappointing for this level frame.

But again, I give very high praise to the specific carbon layup on the 785 RS for providing an exceptionally stiff bottom bracket while also truly accomplishing compliance where it's needed. The bike is an absolute joy to ride and for me the perfect all-arounder.

The Wilier Zero 7 that preceeded it was sold. Light, but not close to the LOOK in terms of comfort nor connection to the bottom bracket - and the bottom bracket interface gave frequent problems.

For another comparison, there is a beautiful Pinarello Paris that sits nearly idle in my shop. It's plenty stiff, has luscious paint that really catches the eye, but it simply does not compare to the LOOK and it's level of carbon technique advancements.

On a sidenote, I've owned and maintained for others a few Giant frames over the years and agree with comments that among more mainstream brands they do give a lot of bang for the buck at the higher end of their offerings, IMO. Also, I do not believe that LOOK nor TIME is even attempting to compete in the volume arena of Trek, Specialized, Giant.

Ride what you like, but I love my LOOK.

alexaqui

by alexaqui

kgt wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am

Ride what you like, but I love my LOOK.
This thread inspired me to take a look at their frames/bikes a bit more seriously. There seems to be a fair bit of disruption in their dealer model going on right now making the local dealers uncomfortable with the long-term support model.

by Weenie