Roast my bike: 2019 Tarmac DI2 Build (vs 2018 Cervelo R5)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

salesguy

by salesguy

Recently finished this build. Curious what you glorious bastards think. I did already trim the too-long front brake housing and cleaned up the bartape.

Brief review and comparision to my 2018 R5 rim brake with nearly identical build:

These two frames are extremely similar in terms of fit, characteristics and weight. The differences are subtle but I'll talk about them a litlte here now that I have 1000 miles on the Tarmac. First, I love the quality of the paint job on the Tarmac. Real nice clear coat and just looks amazing. I don't like the matte finish of the R5 as much.

Direct-mount rim brakes are really great - an improvement over the old style. Cervelo should have used them on the R5.

Tarmac feels slighly quicker around turns and decends better. I tested the descending on Hanging Rock in NC and I managed to take the entire descent (one sharp turn is the tricky part) with no brakes on the Tarmac on the 1st try. It took 7 tries on the R5 before I didn't tap the brakes.

I'd say BB stiffness is the same, maybe a slight advantage to the Tarmac but that could be crankset or simply my imagination. They are both stiff.

Comfort - I'd say the same.

Climbing - both basically the same. Weight of complete bikes is nearly identical so no suprise here.

Fit and finish: Tarmac wins slightly, everything feels really high quality and looks great.

Bottom line: Both great bikes, if you can pickup the Tarmac at a good price I'd say get that one - if a direct mount rim brake frame is what you are looking for.

Frame and fork: 2019 Specialized Tarmac rim brake, 56cm
Wheels: Roval CLX-40
FD: Shimano R9150
RD: Shimano R9150
Shifters: Shimano R9150
Brakeset: Shimano R9100 direct mount
Cassette: Shimano R8000 11x30
Chain: Shimano HG-901-11 with quick link
Stem: Shimano Pro Vibe AL
Bars: Shimano Pro Vibe superlight compact 40cm
Bar tape & plugs: Shimano Pro
Headset: Specialized/FSA
Chainset: Specailized Powercranks, 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket: 6806 Direct Fit Bearings (Using Makita LLU bearings with inner seal removed)
Rings: Specialized 52x36
Seatpost: Specialized/S-works
Saddle: Shimano Pro Falcon Carbon
Pedals: Shimano R9100
Tires: Continental GP5000 700x25c
Skewers: Roval
Cages: Arundel Mandible
Misc: Shimano R9150 Internal battery, b-junction, wiring. Bar-end junction. Sprint and remote shifters, blutooth adapter. Clear vinyl wrap applied to downtube, seattube and chainstays. Vibratite medium strength retaining compound on bearings, chainring interface and rear derailleur hanger interface. Loctite threadlocker (blue) where appropriate.

Complete weight before cages and computer but with pedals is 14.68lbs

Plannded updates:

-Pro VIBE Carbon stem, once available
-Trim fork to final length and cleanup spacers
-More wrap, possibly
Attachments
IMG_8190 2.jpg
cages.jpg
front.jpg
powermeter.jpg
rear.jpg
top.jpg
top 2.jpg
Weight.jpg

liam7020

by liam7020

Nice, like it!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

That's a wild paint job....looks great!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

hannawald

by hannawald

I would change the stem for something with "standard" -6 angle. Pro stem is -10, which makes no sense when you have spacers under the stem. Difference between -10 and -6 stems on 100mm length is about 7mm on stack height..better to have -6 stem and 7mm less of spacers under the stem. For example s works sl stem will keep it brand neutral with Specialized and Pro component mix.

You can also find some out front stem Garmin mount on your stem bolts..

Very nice bike, with Lightweights it would be a top looker:)

bedampft

by bedampft

hannawald wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:41 pm
Very nice bike, with Lightweights it would be a top looker:)
No. Just no. Lightweights make every bike look worse. An they're quite useless from a performance kind of perspective.

Anyway, nice bike, but a boring build. (I've got the same frameset)

Oh, and pls use metrics. 191 states, and it's inhabitants will thank you for it.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Slam that stem! Back pain is temporary and is well worth it in order to have a faster looking bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you need to part from money and want stiff wheels, why not go for the wider version of Corima 47MM MMC WS+?
https://www.corima.com/carbon-wheels/ro ... lence.html
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

guyc

by guyc

caad4rep wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:55 am
Slam that stem! Back pain is temporary and is well worth it in order to have a faster looking bike.
No it really isn't.

But that saddle angle makes me feel numb.

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Some Tune AC skewers will shave another 70 or so grams for not much money. The Roval skewers are great but heavy.

salesguy

by salesguy

Good feedback guys.

To spice things up and drop some weight, the Darimo seatpost and stem would certainly do the job. Just noticed that from the Darimo thread. Those parts would be bling no one else would have - at least I've never seen anyone with them.

Otherwise I prefer solid builds with low hassle factors. Having used exotic parts in the past, M2-racer skewers, camillo brakes, etc - I just don't have the patence for anything that is flexy, creaks or otherwise might break.

While I agree completely on the stem/spacers comments, chronic lower back problems aren't going to allow for slamming the stem. It would look better, totally agree.

I will say the color really grows on me and looks amazing in person. No more matte black bikes for me. Looks good with Zipp 404s and Turbo Cotton tires with the tan sidewalls:
Attachments
zipp 404s.jpg

salesguy

by salesguy

alexmcm09 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm
Some Tune AC skewers will shave another 70 or so grams for not much money. The Roval skewers are great but heavy.
Agreed - I have some KCNC ones but another set of nice skewers would be good to have on hand.

I did want to make sure the bike was 100% creak free for a good while before I added any parts that might creak.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com