Lightest brake cable housing - not Nokon

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

I know this thread is about brake housing, but maybe someone will be interested in this:
Alligator 4mm linear fiberglass housing for shifting - 17g/m claimed (lightest 4mm housing?)
https://www.alligatorcables.com/super-l ... e-kit.html

by Weenie

petromyzon

by petromyzon

If you are a fiddler get something Nokon-like. I have Jagwire Elite Link and it has very low compression and is fairly light. With modern high mechanical advantage brake systems I would be worried that very light conventional housing would lead to a spongy feel.

It's really not difficult to set up.

alanyu

by alanyu

tommasini wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:21 am
Butcher wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm
Interesting that the Ali Express version is attracted by a magnet. :shock:
I was surprised about this suggestion - so I tried myself. Testing both the Aican and the AliExpress housing that I have, I found they both had a slight (not super strong) attraction to a magnet.

That said, I have weighed long sections of both ranging from 2.5 meters to 10 meters and both weighed right at 26 grams per meter - in the end it's the weight and performance that has me sold.
Because they are not pure alu wires inside. They are both 14 alu wires + 5 steel wires structure for brake housing and 12 alu + 5 steel for shift housing. Pure alu wires structure can not assure the strength and the lifespan. Almost all this kind of the housings are made in the fouriers' factory .

C36

by C36

If they weight 26g/m, they are « quite heavier » (in relative, more than 40%) than the Bungarus from same provider: 17.5g/m and liner is integrated.

Now they are « nokon style » in case you meant « not pearl/segments type of housing », but they are the lightest. Their weaker points being the risk to break the small male-female connection between two links if you exceed the minimum radius (mostly transport). Now replacing the broken link is quite easy.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

alanyu wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:30 am
Because they are not pure alu wires inside. They are both 14 alu wires + 5 steel wires structure for brake housing and 12 alu + 5 steel for shift housing. Pure alu wires structure can not assure the strength and the lifespan. Almost all this kind of the housings are made in the fouriers' factory.
Interesting to know. Glad you mentioned it because I could not find that information anywhere in their sales information.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:14 am
If you are a fiddler get something Nokon-like. I have Jagwire Elite Link and it has very low compression and is fairly light. With modern high mechanical advantage brake systems I would be worried that very light conventional housing would lead to a spongy feel.

It's really not difficult to set up.
Not sure how much mechanical advantage the Propel mini v-brakes have, but I do take your point that a lighter housing may compress more and feel spongy.

What about GATORBRAKE SLEEK Glide housing? It looks like braided steel, which is cool, but no idea about the weight.