Lightest brake cable housing - not Nokon

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Nickldn

by Nickldn

Been thinking about getting lighter brake cable outers for my Propel (etap gears so no derailleur cables). Got Shimano cable outers at the moment.

Don't really want the hassle of building up a Nokon system, or similar. Just looking for a light ptfe cable outer, but not sure if they are all much the same weight/brake feel.

Any ideas?

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I use Alligator I-Links and mini I-Links on all my builds. The weight is right and they are very easy to use. I just built a Disc bike so I only used them on the shift. Old school and like mechanical and not a big fan of more batteries and things to have to think about. I just want to ride my bike and with the Garmin Edge 530 it’s something I only have to charge every two weeks.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie

alanyu

by alanyu

The link housings are never the lightest, but they transfer your power without loss. The lightest housing is alu-steel-wire-mixed structure like power cordz prime and fouriers legion sp, 20-25 g/m.

I would recommend fouriers. Their sp housing is smoother than power cordz's.

My personal combo is fouriers sp shift housing + jagwire elite link brake housing. JW link (about 29 g/m incl liner) is lighter than Nokon.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Alligator I-Link stuff looks very nice!

Tempted to try the power cordz prime though, the outer is normal ptfe. At the moment the power cordz is £54 for the road brake set on Clee Cycles. Need to check first if the cables are compatible with Propel brakes though, as the composite wire needs to be looped around brake retaining bolt.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You can't reclamp a powercordz. So it better be right the first time and be done with a long lasting housing setup otherwise you just have a 50 usd setup that'll be in the trash in 6 months.

I wish there were a titanium wire option that didn't have to be ordered from some small obscure source.

nickf

by nickf

Jagwire link, extreme easy to setup and last forever. I just swap the inner wire every season.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Yeah, power cordz worry me, coz they can't be reclamped. It feels like throwing money away. Perhaps steel cables have their advantages after all.....

Is the Jagwire Link similar to Nokon?

tommasini

by tommasini

FYI - There is a fairly recent 5 page thread on brake and derailleur housing options.....can be easily found via a search....

Normally I'm a name brand snob but here I found a winner. This is my recommendation for lightweight 1 piece brake (and derailleur) housing that has a vinyl outer

Aican housing/inner cable sets as found on ebay (looks like black is all sold out). https://www.ebay.com/itm/AICAN-Ultralig ... xyQqBRHKMU

And here is a link to what I believe is the same unbranded product on Ali Express https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32609106 ... 3c007rk84a

I have bought and used both the Aican branded and the Ali housing and see no difference. That brake housing is 26g per meter

BTW - the similar aluminum stranded derailleur housing is 21g/m....and despite my early liking of Jagwire XEX-SL derailleur housing (as found in that other WW thread) those few inner wires of the XEX-SL move around causing it to contort and hemorrhage after several months of use - can't believe they even brought that junk to market. When I inquired nicely several times they would never respond to my emails.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Interesting that the Ali Express version is attracted by a magnet. :shock:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have Powercordz on my bike and they have been on their for a good 4 years. Never had to take them off and they are still holding fine. I'm not certain why some take them off so often.

Jugi

by Jugi

Butcher wrote:I have Powercordz on my bike and they have been on their for a good 4 years. Never had to take them off and they are still holding fine. I'm not certain why some take them off so often.
I had Powercordz brake+shift cables and outers on a bike for several seasons as well. Finally SRAM Red 10spd levers chewed through the shift cables, which wasn't very dramatic as the individual strands of fiber gave out and it was very evident something was up, as cable tension had to be adjusted constantly.

When I replaced those with a standard stainless steel cable, I took the brake cables out as well. Those had become alarmingly brittle (basicly the outer surface broke apart in my hands) but they worked just fine up until that point.

Right now I have a pair of Powercordz brake cables waiting for installation before the upcoming season. The installation isn't too hard to get right on the first try, but the Powercordz' installation manual is quite useful.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Butcher wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:13 pm
I have Powercordz on my bike and they have been on their for a good 4 years. Never had to take them off and they are still holding fine. I'm not certain why some take them off so often.
Because I'm a fiddler and constantly fiddle with my bike. To be fair I haven't undone my brake cables for over six months now, but spring is coming so the brakes are probably due for an overhaul.

I like the Aican housing, it looks genuinely lightweight and doesn't have the limitations of power cordz.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

tommasini wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 pm
FYI - There is a fairly recent 5 page thread on brake and derailleur housing options.....can be easily found via a search....

Normally I'm a name brand snob but here I found a winner. This is my recommendation for lightweight 1 piece brake (and derailleur) housing that has a vinyl outer

Aican housing/inner cable sets as found on ebay (looks like black is all sold out). https://www.ebay.com/itm/AICAN-Ultralig ... xyQqBRHKMU

And here is a link to what I believe is the same unbranded product on Ali Express https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32609106 ... 3c007rk84a

I have bought and used both the Aican branded and the Ali housing and see no difference. That brake housing is 26g per meter

BTW - the similar aluminum stranded derailleur housing is 21g/m....and despite my early liking of Jagwire XEX-SL derailleur housing (as found in that other WW thread) those few inner wires of the XEX-SL move around causing it to contort and hemorrhage after several months of use - can't believe they even brought that junk to market. When I inquired nicely several times they would never respond to my emails.
I also use Aican (brake cables only, as I run eTap). They are light, were easy for my bike shop to install, have worked great, and look great. :thumbup:
Cervelo Aspero (7.87)
Retired: S-Works Tarmac SL6, LOW// mki, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium, TIME Fluidity, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

StanK

by StanK

Probably not THE lightest, but for 20g /m is up there. Installed last summer, done, amongst other, one really tricky, technical 10km long descent, and for me that was proof of good product. Matter of the fact, I installed it just few days before that descent (that got me worry a bit), but pre-stretching obviously done as it should.

Ah, yes, it's "Niro-Glide TPB 359" combo from Bike24. If you don't need wires, just put them somewhere in a drawer as a spare.

tommasini

by tommasini

Butcher wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm
Interesting that the Ali Express version is attracted by a magnet. :shock:
I was surprised about this suggestion - so I tried myself. Testing both the Aican and the AliExpress housing that I have, I found they both had a slight (not super strong) attraction to a magnet.

That said, I have weighed long sections of both ranging from 2.5 meters to 10 meters and both weighed right at 26 grams per meter - in the end it's the weight and performance that has me sold.

by Weenie