Venge Pro vs. Cervelo S3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newbikerfast

by newbikerfast

Like several here, I had hoped to buy a Canyon Aeroad but getting sick of waiting. I'm currently using a Cervelo C5. It's a very comfortable ride (and light) but looking for something much racier (primarily for Gran Fondos and chasing my strava segments). I'm basically down to Specialized Venge Pro vs. Cervelo S3 (I'm too tall for the S5). Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or recomendations.

Specialized Venge Pro (Di2) (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/venge ... 666-171339)
- Lighter bike (I think)
- Better wheels (although I think about to be replaced?)
- >$1k more ($8k usd)

Cervelo S3 (Di2) (https://www.cervelo.com/en/s3)
- Frame probably not as good (certainly heavier)
- More upright geometry might be easier to get used to
- Comfort knowing that Cervelo fits me well
- Wheels not as good
- "only" $6500 usd
- I like the red color but consider looks awash with the Venge Pro.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexaqui

by alexaqui

Hi. I am in the same position and almost ready to place an order. I test rode an S5 last night and the Venge on the weekend.

I call the Venge a "hammer" - it's brutal, fast, efficient, and rough riding. The handling is great and predictable. This bike made me GRIN. I don't know why - it was fun.

While I did not test ride the S3, the s5 was "muted" compared to the Venge - it was stable, smooth, more comfortable. It didn't have the "wow" fast factor that the Venge had. It is also heavier than the Venge and the S3 is about 200g heavier (~1150 for frame is what I've seen online and on this site).

I think it depends on your goals - if you are not racing and you want to do longer rides like GFs in your post, the S3 may be the more comfortable ride. I am leaning towards the Venge because it felt more alive. I think I can deal with the worse ride quality. I also live in an area with a lot of climbing and the 200-300g of weight reduction will be nice.

You may want to check out the SystemSix Hi-Mod - the geometry may work out for you. I am also considering the Colnago V3RS because I guess I am a fanboi :)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

How comfy you want the bike to be?
For most condition, Venge is comfy enough. And as needed, 28-32mm tires can also be used to mute the road down.
Even with their 26c stock tires, you can run lower pressure compare to most other wheels because the internal width is 21mm wide. If you keep the same pressure from old bike with narrower internal width wheel, you are overinflating it.

Venge pro is the same frame as S-works Venge, one of the fastest bike. S3 is a step down from S5. If I want a bike to be comfortable, I'd go SS Evo, Tarmac, Cervelo R5, Trek Madone, Look 795 Blade RS etc. S3 doesn't seems to have any more comfort design in the frame than Venge.

hannawald

by hannawald

Buy the one you like the looks:)

But Venge Pro shall be a better bike, at least it is the best Specialized can do, same material as Sworks. S3 is Cervelos cheaper alternative to S5, not the best their engineers can produce.

fanatic278

by fanatic278

I saw an S3 in the flesh for the first time yesterday. It's a gorgeous bike! I definitely like the style over the Venge.

If you want the more upright position and an aero bike then it is the only choice.

Saying that, I was in a similar quandary to you. I had a R3 and wanted to go aero. I looked at the S3 but found it hard to convince myself that the cost justified a second tier carbon frameset. I found the Scott Foil was only a few mm less stack height and a fair bit less weight, so that's what I got. When you're tall I think it worthwhile to get the lightest carbon construction possible (I'm on a 61cm).
Using Tapatalk

newbikerfast

by newbikerfast

Thanks all, very helpful. Given I already have an endurance bike, feels like better to go all in with the aero set up so I think I'm likely to go with the Venge Pro.

guadzilla

by guadzilla

I have a Venge Pro and agree with the comments about it feeling fast. You feel a bit of road buzz on it but nothing that tweaking your air pressure by 5-10psi wont fix.

Am very happy with the purchase. I liked the fact that i got a top-end frame for a relatively lower price (i upgraded the wheels to CLX64, though).

Ypuh

by Ypuh

You won't get an objective answer from me since I own a S3 with rimbrakes, simply because Cervelo has been my favorite brand to look at when I started cycling 10 years ago. The S3 geometry fit my like a glove (very long legs) so 1+1=3.

Knowing that the frame had to be a Cervelo I didn't mind the components it came with since I wanted to build it to my own taste anyway. I put Etap (11s), Zipp 404's, Quarq etc. on it, changed basically everything and love it. All components it came with sold off new for good (better than expected) prices and searched for good deals on new parts. Eventually paid way less for the bikes you suggested and ended up with a better spec.

My advice, pick the geometry that suits you best and then pick the frame you like. Don't choose a bike because you like the wheels.
Last edited by Ypuh on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

If you dont mind going with a rim brake aero bike, Excel Sports is selling Factor One chassis (frameset with cockpit) for $1998.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt