Venge Vs Tarmac

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Axelgd999

by Axelgd999

Hey guys,

I know this question has recieved a ton of answer before but I am in the process of buying either the new s-works tarmac or venge. For context I live in a relativly hilly area, and do enjoy a nice climb every now and again, and I race pretty competitivly in Cat 1. The venge is obviously an aero bike, but it doesnt seem to weigh very much more than the tarmac, and If the weight is the same, what other factors affect a bikes ability to climb well? I don't even think the position is so different on the venge than on the tarmac either to be honest. Every part of me wants to get the venge, but I dont want to be hindered on climbs either.

Thanks for any responses!

by Weenie

roelez

by roelez

Venge climbs well!! And beast on the straight flat lineImage

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Venge for sure, best bike overall for racing, love mine, climbs like a dream!!!! I am best at long and hard climbs and the venge excelled at everything I threw at it so far!!!!

dcorn

by dcorn

You're a cat 1 and asking on a forum what makes a bike climb well?

Alex222

by Alex222

Sounds like you want the Venge, so go for it.

AJS914

by AJS914

Both are great bikes. Personally I'd lean Tarmac unless I was a bigger rider*.

First, Tarmac will always be lighter. It will feel snappier on climbs.

Second, if you put an integrated aero handlebar and deeper wheels on a Tarmac it will be within a hair's breadth of the Venge aerowise.

Third, what kind of races are you trying to win? Flat, fast finishes - Venge. Mountain top finishes - Tarmac.

I've read that in the larger sizes the differences between the Venge and Tarmac are much less - less weight difference and less stiffness difference. I ride a 56 so this is theoretical information on my part.

Last thing to think about - if you are a cat 1 travelling to lots of races, think about how you will put a Venge in a bike suitcase.

sigma

by sigma

Axelgd999 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm
Hey guys,

I know this question has recieved a ton of answer before but I am in the process of buying either the new s-works tarmac or venge. For context I live in a relativly hilly area, and do enjoy a nice climb every now and again, and I race pretty competitivly in Cat 1. The venge is obviously an aero bike, but it doesnt seem to weigh very much more than the tarmac, and If the weight is the same, what other factors affect a bikes ability to climb well? I don't even think the position is so different on the venge than on the tarmac either to be honest. Every part of me wants to get the venge, but I dont want to be hindered on climbs either.

Thanks for any responses!
I have both in S-works. If you are traveling a lot for races, an aero bar + tarmac + clx50s is an easy package to travel with. The Venge takes a bit more disassembly bike case dependent. For riding, the Tarmac would be my choice for longer events 50miles + and the Venge for shorter as the Tarmac is more compliant and comfortable. Tarmac is very fun on hills both up and down. The Venge climbs nicely for an aero bike. It's very light as well and bombs on the descents though I have found the Tarmac to be slightly better handling on the downhills. Both are exceptional bikes.
S-works Tarmac SL6
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi Mod 2016
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

Erwin

by Erwin

sigma wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm
I have both in S-works. If you are traveling a lot for races, an aero bar + tarmac + clx50s is an easy package to travel with. The Venge takes a bit more disassembly bike case dependent. For riding, the Tarmac would be my choice for longer events 50miles + and the Venge for shorter as the Tarmac is more compliant and comfortable. Tarmac is very fun on hills both up and down. The Venge climbs nicely for an aero bike. It's very light as well and bombs on the descents though I have found the Tarmac to be slightly better handling on the downhills. Both are exceptional bikes.
Nice description! How would u compare the Tarmac and your Factor O2 VAM?

sigma

by sigma

Erwin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:55 pm
sigma wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm
Nice description! How would u compare the Tarmac and your Factor O2 VAM?
That's a question I am asking myself a bit right now as I am debating which one I will take to the E'tape du Tour! I picked up the VAM during the winter, so it's seen only two outdoor rides on mild days. I am about to lug it to Southern Utah for some long climbs and 70-100 mile days, so I will post a full review after. My impressions so far are very good - they stripped the paint down a lot to lighten it. It's comfortable and seems to have a good degree of aero benefit to it. There is some intangible "Factor feel fast" aspect which I was quick to label as nonsense when someone else described it prior to me riding one, but now I sort of believe they have really a great mix of handling and weight disrtibution. I was very confident taking it downhill hard despite not having a lot of time on it. My tarmac disc is a little lighter - Schmolke TLO wheels, MCFK stem, etc..so I did not think the VAM was exceptionally light, but I did really think it was a smooth and very responsive bike. Reminded me a lot of my old Supersix evo black inc model in many ways. So, I would rate the Tarmac as a great handling road bike with a high degree of comfort and some good aero. I think the VAM is as good handling if not marginally better, with slightly less compliance / comfort, but a good degree of aero too. I do have different bars on the two (44 zipps on the s works and 42 black inc integrated on the Factor), so I might be tempted next time I have to flush the hydraulics to try them with the same bar. Both bikes make me feel like Peter Sagan when I get out of the saddle and lay down some wattage (former sprinter on the track in college) until I look down at my power meter and notice the less than impressive numbers I am reading :) But for me now, I always rate my bikes by how happy I am riding them and whether I feel like it's just a lot of fun to be on them for several hours. In this regard, think both are winners.
S-works Tarmac SL6
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

Erwin

by Erwin

Thank you for your detailed explanation, was a pleasure to read!
I have also looked for a Tarmac SL6 disc, Addict RC or an O2 disc (no VAM). I was on the trigger for a S-Works Tarmac frame, but got a good offer for a used Factor O2 frame I couldn't reject. I will get this frame in about 2 weeks. Size will be 56. I already have an Ultimate SLX (rim brake) size M and geometry between mentioned bikes only differs slightly, especially stack and reach. Tarmac's BB drop is bigger and the chainstays of the O2 are quite short at 405mm, the Addict is in between. So we will see ;-)
Looking forward building the O2 up. It will receive a DA DI2 group and I think the new Quarq Dzero DUB crank with DA chainrings. Wheelset MCFK 35mm with Extralite hubs. Stem and handlebar are pending at the moment...

Have a good ride at E'tape du Tour!

sigma

by sigma

Erwin wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:25 pm
Thank you for your detailed explanation, was a pleasure to read!
I have also looked for a Tarmac SL6 disc, Addict RC or an O2 disc (no VAM). I was on the trigger for a S-Works Tarmac frame, but got a good offer for a used Factor O2 frame I couldn't reject. I will get this frame in about 2 weeks. Size will be 56. I already have an Ultimate SLX (rim brake) size M and geometry between mentioned bikes only differs slightly, especially stack and reach. Tarmac's BB drop is bigger and the chainstays of the O2 are quite short at 405mm, the Addict is in between. So we will see ;-)
Looking forward building the O2 up. It will receive a DA DI2 group and I think the new Quarq Dzero DUB crank with DA chainrings. Wheelset MCFK 35mm with Extralite hubs. Stem and handlebar are pending at the moment...

Have a good ride at E'tape du Tour!
That sounds like a great build up for the O2. I have DA DI2 on the VAM and think it matches well and performs flawlessly. I just put the Darimo T1 Loop seatpost on it too - very cool design and appears highly functional. I have the same MCFK 35 wheels with extralites and Sapim CX spokes on my C5. I have used those wheels on gravel and road and they are stellar!
S-works Tarmac SL6
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Cervelo C5 2018
Open U.P. gravel 2016

Retired
Cervelo S3 2015
Cervelo R5 2012
Cervelo S2 2011

gurk700

by gurk700

Negligible aero and weight difference. Get one you like the look of. /End of thread.

by Weenie