BUDGET light weight alloy build - suggestions needed

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Hello Weightweenies

I am currently in the process of starting a budget build, trying to go as light as possible for the cheapest money

As of yet, i plan to get ahold of these parts
CAAD10 frameset - i plan to strip both forks and frame (and clearcoat thin layer after) both for weight savnings and as i really like the look of bare carbon and aluminium
Hylix seatpost - i've read this is both cheap and light
Stans 340 alpha clinchers sourced from ebay (as i would like to try tubeless and i've read here that those wheels are fairly light and cheap)
Syntace F99 stem
Chinese carbon seat (around 100 gms)

My current setup is x1 with a sram x0 mtb shifter and apex 1x11s mechanical levers
Grx single chainring crankset - this is heavy and has to be replaced
Deda Piega handlebar - 270gms, 40 cms. I would prefer to have aluminium stem and bars since i dont trust chinese carbon cockpits - is it possible to sand the bars to shed weight?
105 chain and casette - lighter alternatives(11spd, non-oem) will have to be found
Tyres and sealant - what is good? skinwalls look good but are they heavy?
Brake calipers Currently apex (will used planet x cnc or kcnc do?)
Pedals - currently 105 - i really like the Look and Shimano interfaces but might need some lighter pedals

Rider info:
I only go for rides once-twice a week, around 80-90 kms
I like climbing and are currently sitting at around 165 pounds(74,5 kgs)

Do you have any suggestions on how to save weight and what products to look after?

Best regards and thank you for all the interesting threads - this forum is great for finding inspiration and knowledge
:thumbup: :thumbup:

by Weenie

hlvd

by hlvd

Might be cheaper just to buy a new/second hand built up CAAD than try and upgrade everything?

CXrider

by CXrider

This is the best resource on a budget alloy build: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138517

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Thanks Guys! Overwhelmed by the fast responses!
I prefer to buy and build myself, as i really enjoy building my own bikes :thumbup:
Will look into the other alloy build thread
Once again - thanks, and have a great week!

PSM

by PSM

I have built myself a Emonda ALR with full D-A 9000. Pretty nice bike. 7090 gram.

I can send you a picture on e-mail if you like?

DM if you like.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You don't trust chinese carbon but alpha 340 wheels are good?

I was sceptical about chinese carbon too. Now 5 years later I have three bikes all chinese. Stiffness in some parts could be better but overall it's been very reliable.

If you crash the bike chances are you might need to replace some carbon. This goes for western and chinese carbon.

Light alloy can crack too. Take care.

I suggest that your rear wheel to be well built and not 24 light spokes on alpha340 rims running tubeless. That is likely to be a nightmare.

alanyu

by alanyu

F99 is the old stem for 25.4 steerer. Caad10 i think it's 28.6, isn't it?

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Hey guys,

@PCM - That sounds like a sweet ride! :-) thanks for the offer, but i wish to build the bike by myself. Any chance you might consider selling the frameset?

@Alcatraz
Sounds promising - I am only sceptical because one of my buddies had his chinese carbon handlebar fail on him when we rode together. I will look into my options with the chinese carbon as the costs/weight savings certainly are appealing to me. Since I created this thread I have bought the wheels and tyres - alpha340 wheelset, scwhalbe one skinwalls, the spoke count is 32 in the rear and 28 in the front - i think that will do and that i can live with the weight penalty (Y). Thanks for your advice

@Alanyu
Oh man, thanks. I might have to get a kalloy uno or another light stem. I am still considering my frameset options as i also like the looks and weights of the trek emonda alr and canyon ultimate al 9.0.

Will post updates when i recieve parts/have finished the bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I had a pair of stans 340 rims. Utterly rubbish with tu eless tyres. When it come to sealant refill the tyre u seats when you let the air out and remove the valve core. Of course the old dried up sealant then can stop the tyre inflating leaving stuck and having the remove the tyre clean up everything and reinstall. What an utter faff.

These rims should not be marketed as tubeless compatible.

With the stans rims get a set of Vittoria corsa g2.0 tyres and light weight in er tubes and keep the pressure at 8p.psi to prevent blow off. That's quite light.

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

bm0p700f wrote:I had a pair of stans 340 rims. Utterly rubbish with tu eless tyres. When it come to sealant refill the tyre u seats when you let the air out and remove the valve core. Of course the old dried up sealant then can stop the tyre inflating leaving stuck and having the remove the tyre clean up everything and reinstall. What an utter faff.

These rims should not be marketed as tubeless compatible.

With the stans rims get a set of Vittoria corsa g2.0 tyres and light weight in er tubes and keep the pressure at 8p.psi to prevent blow off. That's quite light.
Oh - wasn’t expecting this answer as i had come to the couclusion that the “NoTubes” name implied that Stans actually knew stuff about tubeless rims... :-(

I think I will try my best using Schwalbe one TLE tyres and DT Swiss valves, if that doesn’t work out, some Corsa g2s and light tubes will be tried

Thanks for the precaution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

So the process is getting underway

Really happy with the weights and the budget of this build :thumbup:
Now there is some wating time till i recieve the frame and so on, so i thought i could send a spreadsheet of the weights and the price of the build

Best regards
Skærmbillede 2020-02-10 kl. 12.01.32.png