2020 Road Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 am
doogie2304 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:08 am

I have to agree with this. I have two pairs and whilst other Giro shoes are too narrow for me, the lightweight upper just wraps around my foot and the velco/lace closures allow the perfect adjustment. I also have a pair of Imperials which are almost as good, but the Prolight Techlaces really are the one for me.

I think the ranking for me is Prolight Techlace, original Empire SLX, new Empire SLX, and then the Imperials.

Also really comfortable = Giro Sector 2-bolt MTB shoes.
Am a fan of Giros, but have also discovered for myself that Lake CX 301s have a similar fit/feel. Also extremely lightweight: with the insoles, they are identical on my scale to the original Giro Empire SLX. And as much as I like laces, there is no arguing that a boa dial is just quicker.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 pm
Hey guys, is it possible, advisable, to dye the red rim on these Sidi Shot shoes? I would like to dye them black for a more stealth look.
If you took them out riding in the rain a couple times, that piping would turn black all on its own. :noidea:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Those running the new Shimano RC902's, what arch supports are you using?

Mine came with medium (yellow) and high (red), and assume low is just the standard innersole with no support added?

I went between medium and low (none) and settled on low (none).

Obviously this is personal preference, but thought I'd ask (coming from S-Works 7s).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I'm running my 902 with solestar insoles.
I've been enjoying the extra support on the arch.

bas

by bas

ryanw wrote:Those running the new Shimano RC902's, what arch supports are you using?

Mine came with medium (yellow) and high (red), and assume low is just the standard innersole with no support added?

Obviously this is personal preference, but thought I'd ask (coming from S-Works 7s).
Specialized green. Unless you have extremely flat feet even the high shimano insole isn’t very high to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heliuscc

by heliuscc

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:35 am
So how many of you have tried shoes with the new Boa dials? They're...not great.

I just tried on the fi'zi:k Vento Stabilita Carbon shoes with the Li2 dials. What can I say...they are a single piece of plastic with knurled edges. Combined with the reduced height of the dial, they were not pleasant to twist in my fingers. They'd be fine with full-finger gloves I guess, but the combination of my narrow feet + the hard plastic meant I had to grip them really hard to avoid my fingers from slipping.

The Vento Stabilita Carbon shoes themselves seem alright. People say fi'zi:k fits narrow, but neither the heel nor midfoot were narrow enough for me. The "Power Strap" design creates a lot of arch support whether you want it or not, even with my stiff custom molded insoles. The exposed strap on the bottom of the shoe might not be the best for long-term durability.

I also finally tried the Rapha Team shoes. Now these are truly narrow shoes, they might even be too narrow in the heel cup for me. That, the minimal padding, and the height of the ankle opening did not end up working for me. Maybe with some break-in they would be more comfortable, but I didn't want to keep them around long enough to find out. The midfoot and forefoot fit really nicely. One of the Boa IP1 dials was blemished...it looks like the edge was melted somehow.

I still have not found a more comfortable shoe than Giro ProLight Techlaces.
I have also just tried the vento stabilitas and am thinking about them. The best boa dials I have seen have been on the specialized s works. I'm thinking send the ventos back and wait for s works 8. The Fizik are decent but they don't feel like a £300 shoe.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

heliuscc wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm

I have also just tried the vento stabilitas and am thinking about them. The best boa dials I have seen have been on the specialized s works. I'm thinking send the ventos back and wait for s works 8. The Fizik are decent but they don't feel like a £300 shoe.

I thought the finish quality of the Vento Stabilita Carbon was top notch. My feet just didn't fit them and I have concerns about the exposed portion of the "Power Strap" on the outsole. I won't blame them for using the Li2 dials...everyone will be.

guyc

by guyc

On the basis that Spesh have moved to the Li2 for the new Ares and we never saw the aluminium ones anywhere else I'd say they're gone now.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

gitsome wrote:Stay away from specialized S7 the way the top is cut and stiffness of the fabric (dyneema?) have gouged 2 holes into the tops of both feet when I flex’s them upwards. I now have permanent bump/scars that get cut open and gouged even more deeply every time I ride. Sadly I liked them so much in the shop I purchased 2 pair so I’d have one .5 sizes larger for thick socks and winter riding and one in exactly my size. Both shoes gouge my ankles. Badly designed top of shoe where the top boa on the inside of the shoe tighten directly to the top of the foot. Can’t afford new shoes for a decade at least :( so I try to use bandaids every ride but always an issue.
You’ve been warned

Trim half of the loop fastener. See pic. Helps a lot with what you’re talking about. My last pair of 7’s.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

bas wrote:
ryanw wrote:Those running the new Shimano RC902's, what arch supports are you using?

Specialized green. Unless you have extremely flat feet even the high shimano insole isn’t very high to be honest

SoleStars have a weird inner lip on their arch I’m not a fan of.

I’ll stick to the Specilized greens. Image

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Has anyone tried the NIMBL shoes?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

gitsome wrote:Stay away from specialized S7 the way the top is cut and stiffness of the fabric (dyneema?) have gouged 2 holes into the tops of both feet when I flex’s them upwards. I now have permanent bump/scars that get cut open and gouged even more deeply every time I ride. Sadly I liked them so much in the shop I purchased 2 pair so I’d have one .5 sizes larger for thick socks and winter riding and one in exactly my size. Both shoes gouge my ankles. Badly designed top of shoe where the top boa on the inside of the shoe tighten directly to the top of the foot. Can’t afford new shoes for a decade at least :( so I try to use bandaids every ride but always an issue.
You’ve been warned

How is it the fault of a shoe, worn by thousands of people without issue, that you choose to continue using a product that’s clearly not suited to you. It’s like blaming a saddle for saddle sores despite refusing to do anything to remedy the issue.

Hey there, just remember, we’re never going to give you up. Never going to let you down.
Using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Size 46 Shimano RC902 S‑Phyre - 273g per shoe
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Ok. Am leaning towards suplest road pro, and crosscountry pro. Am located in Canada so have to order from overseas.

Has anyone tried these specific models?

@Tobinhatesyou a few pages back you said go down a full size from Shimano. Would that apply to these versions? I read a review they ran a bit smaller and someone had to size up. For reference I'm 44.5 Shimano S-phyre (don't have these, just that's the size - the 902 boa still jabbed at my foot like the 901), 44 Garneau course air lite II (have), and I also tried but sold rapha pro teams in size 45 as they were too narrow. I also tried fizik stabilita in size 44 and those fit well in store. Those might be a back up choice. Thanks.

Yoln

by Yoln

heliuscc wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:16 pm

I returned the Vento Stabilita because of the fit, but they are the best finished shoes I have tested this year. Even better than the Rapha pro team, which are definitely a notch about the Sphyres and the Spesh. You might be desapointed by the Spesh if you ask me

And for the record, the worst finish ones are actually the ones I picked (for fit reason), Bont Vaypor S

Also, to me all of the Boa on the aforementioned are pretty much equivalent, not sure what you meant by the Spesh being better, aren't they exactly the same on both Stabilita and Spesh?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com