2020 Road Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ronin416

by Ronin416

TobinHatesYou wrote:
cberg wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm
Bought a pair of S-Phyre RC902s

Quality seems nice, but I'm not sure about the size I bought. Feels like my two outer most toes seem to slightly touch the end of the shoe on one foot. Size 43 with 26.7cm (ish) long feet. Anybody got experice with this?

The RC902 is quite narrow/tapered in the forefoot. My observations from another thread.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 am

Here is my comparison between a 44.5 RC902 and 44 Ares, both regular.

RC902 is a touch longer despite being listed as 1mm shorter (282mm vs 283mm.)
RC902 has a narrower, more tapered toebox.
RC902 has a taller toebox.
Both shoes have plenty of midfoot adjustability.
Ares does a better job locking the heel in place without ratcheting down the upper Boa dial.
Ares wins for “general” comfort. The sock-like liner and open-wrap construction ensure this.
Ares has a more pronounced arch, which may feel even more pronounced with custom orthotics.
Ares has a 1.5 varus wedge integrated into the forefoot.
RC902 weights: left shoe 242g, right shoe 238g, left footbed 21g, right footbed 20g
Ares weights: left shoe 248g, right shoe 249g, left footbed 11g, right footbed 11g
Also you are a 43.5 in Shimano IMO. The last on a EU43 Shimano is 272mm...so it’s only 5mm longer than your foot. Thick socks, fluctuations in body comp, swelling on hot days or at the end of the day would make those shoes very, very tight.
Stay away if you have wide or if your feet swell a lot. Probably will sell mind and go back to my Bonts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ronin416

by Ronin416

woodyvalentine wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:33 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:31 am

They feel fine to me. Be aware that Specialized shoes have a 1.5deg varus wedge built into the forefoot. They also have cleat mounting holes positioned more to the inside edge of the shoe (wider stance.)
Are you using stock insoles?

It's mostly in just the left shoe on the outside perimeter in certain spots. So I'm wondering if I just got a poor quality control seam. There's noticeable ridges inside when running fingers/hand over it with and without insoles.

I was reading the ares is slightly narrower than usual for specialized. So perhaps it's just that as well. Almost feels like a backwards Varus wedge at the toes.

I run a wide stance and still have speedplays almost maxed out for width. I have a medium low arch and the stock insoles feel better for the arches but worse for the perimeter since they're thinner. The red specialized insoles feel better on the perimeter since thicker but then the arches feel taller. Foot isn't that wide, and haven't used wide in shoes except for Bont vaypor plus a while back.

I might try one more insole before giving up on them.
I’d sell those and cut your losses and go back to a pair of Vaypor S - Bonts with a size that worked in the past.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

kdawg wrote:Waiting for Bont Vaypor+ now. The website says that due to supply issues even stock sizes are being made when you order - so that's 5-6 weeks. Few weeks more then before I decide if I need the double wide and if I do I'll have to wait again.
Bummer about the wait, but better to wait then ride in pain.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

woodyvalentine wrote:Have suplest edge+ pro road and fizik stabilita both white both size 44 in the for sale forum. Both did not work out for me.

Reviews:
Stabilita uppers are really nice. New boas also nice. Not narrow at all. Actually the best fitting uppers I've tried in a while. The arch is flexible. But just too high for me. The heel hold isn't that great but I equate that to the arch pulling me forward too. Overal almost kept them, but arch is too high for my low arches, but flexible makes it better. The sole itself is still stiff. Actually used these outside a few times.

Suplest we're just a bit too tight on the bunion area. Didn't want to risk them not breaking in and being too narrow there so didn't even use them. Despite them not actually being a narrow shoe by any means. Just not enough give in that specific section. Bunions are not too bad, but just enough. The sole star insoles were too high for me too, so if I were to have kept them, would've used something softer and lower such as specialized red or similar.

Back to the drawing board. Might try the new Garneau air lite XZ, Gaerne, DMT, Bontrager, or perhaps the Fizik R2 since they look pretty much like the stabilita but without the arch. Fun and money continues.
All the shoes you’ve listed have a dress show style last. They probably won’t accommodate your foot shape. The DKiller, NIMBL, Lakes and Bonts would probably be a better choice.

kdawg

by kdawg

I posted this photo I took somewhere else when I was swapping my cleats over from 44W Shimano to my new double wide 44.5 Bont's. Loving these so far - the kangaroo leather feels great and even before heat moulding they're the best shoes I've tried.

They are really close in length but you should be able to clearly see the width and shape difference.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Ronin416 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:49 am
woodyvalentine wrote:Have suplest edge+ pro road and fizik stabilita both white both size 44 in the for sale forum. Both did not work out for me.

Reviews:
All the shoes you’ve listed have a dress show style last. They probably won’t accommodate your foot shape. The DKiller, NIMBL, Lakes and Bonts would probably be a better choice.

Already done with the ares. Shop took credit since I warrantied them for some stitching problems in one shoe. Didn't use the replacements, so I got Garneau course XZ mike woods. They're too narrow too even though I currently use the Garneau course II in same size (44). Both use the same sole. But the new uppers are stiffer and narrower. Still need to sell them after two rides.

In the end I've tried:
rapha pro team
S-works ares (comfortable uppers)
Fizik stabilita (best uppers)
Garneau course XZ (too narrow, best sole)
Suplest edge+ road pro (didn't use outdoors)

Re-tried on Shimano Rc902 road but still a bit narrow and the boa jabbed.

Re considering bont again. But they're just so stiff. Would rather a bit of comfort. Full custom for road and CX is also like 1k each = 2k total. The arch in the vaypor+ I had was also a bit high in the past.

Ideally I'd like a road a CX pair each where they're from same brand and relatively similar. I'm on the Garneau copper T flex CX/MTB shoes too.

Right now my options are wait some more for new releases. Or considering the DMT KR0 road, or Quoc Mono II. DMT has a flexible knit upper so might work, but in Canada and riding road in 3 seasons might be a bit cold and not durable. With Quoc I'm not sold on the non boa dials. Both are new releases so reviews will be limited.

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

My DL KILLER Road Shoe - KS2 Gold
Attachments
20210917_153146.jpg
20210917_153101.jpg
20210922_102213.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Haven't seen that bike in gallery yet?!!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Ronin416

by Ronin416

woodyvalentine wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:

Reviews:

Already done with the ares. Shop took credit since I warrantied them for some stitching problems in one shoe. Didn't use the replacements, so I got Garneau course XZ mike woods. They're too narrow too even though I currently use the Garneau course II in same size (44). Both use the same sole. But the new uppers are stiffer and narrower. Still need to sell them after two rides.

In the end I've tried:
rapha pro team
S-works ares (comfortable uppers)
Fizik stabilita (best uppers)
Garneau course XZ (too narrow, best sole)
Suplest edge+ road pro (didn't use outdoors)

Re-tried on Shimano Rc902 road but still a bit narrow and the boa jabbed.

Re considering bont again. But they're just so stiff. Would rather a bit of comfort. Full custom for road and CX is also like 1k each = 2k total. The arch in the vaypor+ I had was also a bit high in the past.

Ideally I'd like a road a CX pair each where they're from same brand and relatively similar. I'm on the Garneau copper T flex CX/MTB shoes too.

Right now my options are wait some more for new releases. Or considering the DMT KR0 road, or Quoc Mono II. DMT has a flexible knit upper so might work, but in Canada and riding road in 3 seasons might be a bit cold and not durable. With Quoc I'm not sold on the non boa dials. Both are new releases so reviews will be limited.
The Bont’s footbed is nearly completely flat with very little arch support. I recommend every customer to pick up a set of cycling specific insoles or use custom orthotics. Interesting you found it too high on the Vaypor+. I usually just point people into the direction of the Vaypor S

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Ronin416 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:

Reviews:

Removed
The Bont’s footbed is nearly completely flat with very little arch support. I recommend every customer to pick up a set of cycling specific insoles or use custom orthotics. Interesting you found it too high on the Vaypor+. I usually just point people into the direction of the Vaypor S

Sent you PM

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Anyone try the following new releases:
Quoc Mono II
DMT KR0

Robius

by Robius

2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

guyc

by guyc

"1-year warranty against manufacturing defects"

On a $1900 pair of shoes. Insert LOL here.

LouisN

by LouisN

Lots of potential contact/pressure points. Not the brightest idea IMO for anything endurance.
I saw GVA's Nimbl shoes on Insta, they must be 100% custom molded on his feet. The shape is nothing like the stock ones.
Louis :)

micky

by micky

His feet looks like a potato.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com