2020 Road Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chorus88

by chorus88

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:41 am
My new Sidi Shot 2 limited edition gold shoes.
I'm so jealous! :beerchug:

When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

fritzbox

by fritzbox

Noctiluxx wrote:
:mrgreen:
My new Sidi Shot :thumbup: Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

Bought a pair of S-Phyre RC902s

Quality seems nice, but I'm not sure about the size I bought. Feels like my two outer most toes seem to slightly touch the end of the shoe on one foot. Size 43 with 26.7cm (ish) long feet. Anybody got experice with this?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cberg wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Quality seems nice, but I'm not sure about the size I bought. Feels like my two outer most toes seem to slightly touch the end of the shoe on one foot. Size 43 with 26.7cm (ish) long feet. Anybody got experice with this?

The RC902 is quite narrow/tapered in the forefoot. My observations from another thread.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 am

Here is my comparison between a 44.5 RC902 and 44 Ares, both regular.

RC902 is a touch longer despite being listed as 1mm shorter (282mm vs 283mm.)
RC902 has a narrower, more tapered toebox.
RC902 has a taller toebox.
Both shoes have plenty of midfoot adjustability.
Ares does a better job locking the heel in place without ratcheting down the upper Boa dial.
Ares wins for “general” comfort. The sock-like liner and open-wrap construction ensure this.
Ares has a more pronounced arch, which may feel even more pronounced with custom orthotics.
Ares has a 1.5 varus wedge integrated into the forefoot.
RC902 weights: left shoe 242g, right shoe 238g, left footbed 21g, right footbed 20g
Ares weights: left shoe 248g, right shoe 249g, left footbed 11g, right footbed 11g
Also you are a 43.5 in Shimano IMO. The last on a EU43 Shimano is 272mm...so it’s only 5mm longer than your foot. Thick socks, fluctuations in body comp, swelling on hot days or at the end of the day would make those shoes very, very tight.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri May 07, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

fritzbox wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
I wish Sidi's fit my feet.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:43 am
gitsome wrote:Stay away from specialized S7 the way the top is cut and stiffness of the fabric (dyneema?) have gouged 2 holes into the tops of both feet when I flex’s them upwards. I now have permanent bump/scars that get cut open and gouged even more deeply every time I ride. Sadly I liked them so much in the shop I purchased 2 pair so I’d have one .5 sizes larger for thick socks and winter riding and one in exactly my size. Both shoes gouge my ankles. Badly designed top of shoe where the top boa on the inside of the shoe tighten directly to the top of the foot. Can’t afford new shoes for a decade at least :( so I try to use bandaids every ride but always an issue.
You’ve been warned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trim half of the loop fastener. See pic. Helps a lot with what you’re talking about. My last pair of 7’s.

Wow, I thought I had low volume feet, even with Green Specialized insoles (which I use too) you look like you almost run out of adjustment. On mine (7's) rather than cut I used a blow dryer to melt and form that area to relieve pressure.
Oddly I also have the Recon MTB shoe which appears to be the identical upper and have zero issues with that area diggin into my foot?
Last edited by OnTheRivet on Fri May 07, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:23 am
fritzbox wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
I wish Sidi's fit my feet.
Tried other brands, and I keep coming back to SIDI. Currently have a bit over 2,000 miles on a pair of Wire 2 shoes I got this past Christmas and love them. Hopefully they last as long as my old Genius 4 did! The toebox seems to be a bit taller than before, but they still fit my long-ish, narrow, and relatively flat feet great.

cberg

by cberg

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 am
cberg wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm

The RC902 is quite narrow/tapered in the forefoot. My observations from another thread.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 am

Here is my comparison between a 44.5 RC902 and 44 Ares, both regular.

RC902 is a touch longer despite being listed as 1mm shorter (282mm vs 283mm.)
RC902 has a narrower, more tapered toebox.
RC902 has a taller toebox.
Both shoes have plenty of midfoot adjustability.
Ares does a better job locking the heel in place without ratcheting down the upper Boa dial.
Ares wins for “general” comfort. The sock-like liner and open-wrap construction ensure this.
Ares has a more pronounced arch, which may feel even more pronounced with custom orthotics.
Ares has a 1.5 varus wedge integrated into the forefoot.
RC902 weights: left shoe 242g, right shoe 238g, left footbed 21g, right footbed 20g
Ares weights: left shoe 248g, right shoe 249g, left footbed 11g, right footbed 11g
Also you are a 43.5 in Shimano IMO. The last on a EU43 Shimano is 272mm...so it’s only 5mm longer than your foot. Thick socks, fluctuations in body comp, swelling on hot days or at the end of the day would make those shoes very, very tight.
Thanks for the input, I'll try to find some in 43.5 to see how those fit.

cajer

by cajer

Any news on new bont models? Or are there any companies take make shoes similar to bont with th great heel cup other that lake?

gitsome

by gitsome

OnTheRivet wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:43 am
gitsome wrote:Stay away from specialized S7 the way the top is cut and stiffness of the fabric (dyneema?) have gouged 2 holes into the tops of both feet when I flex’s them upwards. I now have permanent bump/scars that get cut open and gouged even more deeply every time I ride. Sadly I liked them so much in the shop I purchased 2 pair so I’d have one .5 sizes larger for thick socks and winter riding and one in exactly my size. Both shoes gouge my ankles. Badly designed top of shoe where the top boa on the inside of the shoe tighten directly to the top of the foot. Can’t afford new shoes for a decade at least :( so I try to use bandaids every ride but always an issue.
You’ve been warned

Trim half of the loop fastener. See pic. Helps a lot with what you’re talking about. My last pair of 7’s.

Wow, I thought I had low volume feet, even with Green Specialized insoles (which I use too) you look like you almost run out of adjustment. On mine (7's) rather than cut I used a blow dryer to melt and form that area to relieve pressure.
Oddly I also have the Recon MTB shoe which appears to be the identical upper and have zero issues with that area diggin into my foot?
Hi, yes I regret these shoes :( specialized has been absolutely NO HELP either. The salesperson at the bike shop didn’t know much either my feet have permanent damage

My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

treyxt

by treyxt

what would be considered a wide foot? I'm ~9.8cm at the widest point, and ~27.5cm long.
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

TribesMan

by TribesMan

That is normal width. Wide would be above 105mm.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Anybody get the sworks Ares shoes and find the soles to feel bad? The uppers are comfortable. But I find the soles painful. I've tried 4 insoles from different shoes including the stock, specialized red, and a couple Garneau pairs. Not sure if I should keep buying insoles or cut my losses. They felt great in store but as always actually riding is a different story. Specializeds site says they accept returns for used stuff too, but picked these up from a shop I don't normally deal with so not sure. Not sure if trying either Sole insoles, or sole star would help. It's almost as if the seam where the last is sewn is raised and can feel it since it lifts the insoles.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:31 am
Anybody get the sworks Ares shoes and find the soles to feel bad? The uppers are comfortable. But I find the soles painful. I've tried 4 insoles from different shoes including the stock, specialized red, and a couple Garneau pairs. Not sure if I should keep buying insoles or cut my losses. They felt great in store but as always actually riding is a different story. Specializeds site says they accept returns for used stuff too, but picked these up from a shop I don't normally deal with so not sure. Not sure if trying either Sole insoles, or sole star would help. It's almost as if the seam where the last is sewn is raised and can feel it since it lifts the insoles.

They feel fine to me. Be aware that Specialized shoes have a 1.5deg varus wedge built into the forefoot. They also have cleat mounting holes positioned more to the inside edge of the shoe (wider stance.)

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:33 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:31 am

They feel fine to me. Be aware that Specialized shoes have a 1.5deg varus wedge built into the forefoot. They also have cleat mounting holes positioned more to the inside edge of the shoe (wider stance.)
Are you using stock insoles?

It's mostly in just the left shoe on the outside perimeter in certain spots. So I'm wondering if I just got a poor quality control seam. There's noticeable ridges inside when running fingers/hand over it with and without insoles.

I was reading the ares is slightly narrower than usual for specialized. So perhaps it's just that as well. Almost feels like a backwards Varus wedge at the toes.

I run a wide stance and still have speedplays almost maxed out for width. I have a medium low arch and the stock insoles feel better for the arches but worse for the perimeter since they're thinner. The red specialized insoles feel better on the perimeter since thicker but then the arches feel taller. Foot isn't that wide, and haven't used wide in shoes except for Bont vaypor plus a while back.

I might try one more insole before giving up on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com