Have I f'd my fork?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

It smelled like a burnt match or gunpowder didn't it? Happens all the time on chainring bolts for some reason. You broke loose a bolt that was super dry. Go try to loosen one of your chainring bolts. You will hear that crack, and smell that smell. Nothing to worry about.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Miller wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
According to the internet that fork will EXPLODE and you will suffer extreme injury.
Don't ride near Miller on group rides or you'll end up in the hospital with a fork leg sticking out of your chest. The rest of the hospital corridor will be filled with body bags, cause of death ranging from carbon dust inhalation to splinters in sensitive and lethal areas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

Bungle73 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm

I heard a bang and smelt some kind of odour

:frightened:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Ypuh

by Ypuh

You're probably fine, but I would be (too) worried as well. I don't like the combo of bangs, carbon and visual damage (you then know you've done something stupid, but I probably don't need to remind you, which I think of it is what I'm doing right here).

My Cervelo steerer has an aluminium insert that seats the starnut. You epoxy this in, leave it overnight and then ram the starnut in. It's sold as a set and probably give it the extra strength to put your mind at ease.

Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

AJS914

by AJS914

Of course, you aren't supposed to use star nuts on carbon.