Servicing Shimano 9000 dura ace pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

One of mine isn’t spinning quite as freely and the bearing(s) feel a little gritty. I was thinking about disassembling it to degrease and repack but have seen forum posts where folk said the pedal seals were never the same once they’d been opened up.

I don’t want to ruin a decent set of pedals and would be interested to hear others views?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You won't ruin them. Just takes some time. Imagine getting the preload right on a super fussy cup and cone hub (but slightly fussier) and you get the idea. Helps if you have a bench vise with axle jaws.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I took mine apart. But once apart the inside looked new. The green grease still looked factory new, unlike wheel hub pawl grease which turns black. I quickly put everything back together without an attempt to replace the grease. Unless yours is containminated (highly doubtful) I'd just leave them alone.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

wheelbuilder wrote:You won't ruin them. Just takes some time. Imagine getting the preload right on a super fussy cup and cone hub (but slightly fussier) and you get the idea. Helps if you have a bench vise with axle jaws.
Okay, thanks. I have both bench and axle jaws. Would it be correct to replace with fresh bearings if I do take them apart?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Anything to extend their life is good.
Better than buying 9100 pedals right now just before 9200 released. Assuming 9200 has any more improvements over 9000 than 9100.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Eleven21 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:04 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:You won't ruin them. Just takes some time. Imagine getting the preload right on a super fussy cup and cone hub (but slightly fussier) and you get the idea. Helps if you have a bench vise with axle jaws.
Okay, thanks. I have both bench and axle jaws. Would it be correct to replace with fresh bearings if I do take them apart?

No way. Those bearings....needle and ball are super high quality and last forever. They basically service themselves. put new grease in there either with your finger or a small grease gun. Use a lot. As you re-assemble and work the spindle down it basically pushes out the old grease and packs it with new. Remember that it is pretty painstaking to get the pre-load just right. You can feel it really easily in your foot if there is any play at all. Those pedals are the best, man. I upgraded to 9100 for no good reason.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

yeah, the preload adjustment can be a bit finicky, and especially since the entire thing is packed with new grease and wont spin as freely before the excess has been pushed out of the seal.
once you feel youve got it pretty well set up, i would go for a ride and then check again.