Another Chain Length Thread...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Hi there..

Sorry to post boring topic again, but need ur help here.. I need to be 100% sure that chain here is correct and that is not loose (i even think it's slightly) tight...

When i measure the distance i know proposed chain distance is 10-15 mm, at my case around 20mm . I understund if the chain is tighter this distance will be bigger (like in my case a bit bigger then 15mm), and if i add links to make it chain looser, than this distance will be shorter (maybe even shorter than 10mm if i add a link)

Also based on my understundings if i need to make compromise in chain length (sometimes not possible to have ideal), if i want better shifting performance going shorter (as soon as there is not too much tension on deral to be risked to be broken) is better then going longer (when there is no risk of broken derals but shifting performance can lack). At my case if i shorten one more link i guess will add too much stress on Big-Big combo even now i think it's a bit on short site (but not destroying anything for now because of beeing tight )

Am i right about this? And can u please comment my chain length here? Am i ok? Is it too short? Is it too long? No problems with shifting...

I'll really need others opinion regarding this since want to be sure about my assumptions here.. It's Campagnolo 10 speed setup, 50/34 in front, and 12-27 in the rear..

Thanks in advance...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by 3Pio on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Don't need to open a new thread, everything is here and if not, you can continue on it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=152332

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

jeanjacques wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:52 pm
Don't need to open a new thread, everything is here and if not, you can continue on it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=152332
I know that thread and thansk for showing me up.. Also other threads regarding this.. But at my case i really need to have dedicated link .. It will help me a lot to discuss this specific case in this specific thread..

Thanks in advance...

DaveS

by DaveS

There's no need to measure anything. It's obvious that the chain is barely long enough, in the big/big combo that you shouldn't really use. You should have left the chain 1 inch longer and checked to see if the chain hangs loose in the little/little combination first, then removed 1 inch of chain, if it hangs loose. Since it's so tight now, I would guess that the 1 inch longer chain is the better choice.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

For Campag 10 speed, small-small method works well, and would have given you an extra pair of links. As you observe, better to be too long and have some slight chain-slap in small-small than it is to risk damage, which can be severe - I have seen damage to wheel, hanger, frame, and mech in a single event.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

As others have said, looks about a pair of links too short to me as well, may even be able to throw back in two pairs. For me, as long as the chain doesn't bounce off the bottom of the front pulley (or it's not hanging slack) in the small/small combo, it's good.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanks for replies.. U helped me a lot..And just confirmed my own findings..

And as i understund as well, potential damage can happen only in Big-Big combination which i dont use at all ever (especially that this bike is on trainer) and this is only negative thing here?

Purpose of this setup is only InDoor trainer and to have as silent as possible drivetrain (of course without lacking of shift performance as well).

Maybe i could add one more link using Campagnolo pin, but i'll do it only if a bit longer chain here teoreticaly improve the noise or shifting performance.. Again, never use Big-Big combination on this bike... Should i add that link (again only if at least teoreticaly that help beeing even more silent than it is, or if improve shifting performances or both), or just leave it for now?

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

If it were me, I would leave and just be very cautious of accidentally ending up in big-big, which you are right, is a cross-chain and you should not be doing anyway.

3Pio

by 3Pio

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:16 pm
If it were me, I would leave and just be very cautious of accidentally ending up in big-big, which you are right, is a cross-chain and you should not be doing anyway.
Thanks... It help to confirm me my own opinion regarding this and probably will help to solve my problem, just wanted to remove from equation that is drivetrain making problems...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com