Scott Addict RC Pro 2020 strip and detail

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
dannywin42

by dannywin42

Im currently going through my process of stripping and detailing my newly acquired Addict RC Pro and thought it may be of interest to others to document it.

Essentially I wanted to make sure that the bike was as near as perfect condition as I could get it and then to protect it to make it easier to keep that way being that its now my best bike.

The spec is a standard Scott Addict RC Pro (Duraace Mech 9120 groupset) but with the Wheels upgraded to Reynolds Aero 46 DB. I also opted to swap the DA rotors for something a bit prettier in my eyes, the SRAM Centreline X.
When I picked the bike up it was, as can probably be expected, covered in greasy fingerprints and in some areas a nice film of assembly grease. and so that needed a good chemical degreasing too. With me being into detailing the cars too and having all of the products and machinery required I thought I may aswell go the whole hog and get it fully corrected and ceramic coated.
To start with I removed the chain and fully degreased it along with the whole drive train to then utilise Molten Speed Wax as my lubricant thus keeping it as clean as can be.

Ive already done a few bits, namely the wheels and the chainset to completion, they are now sat waiting to be reinstalled once the frame is complete. The main brunt of the work, the frame, will be tackled on Saturday so ill update with a few posts if interested?

If anyone is interested in this let me know and Ill write up the first few steps ive done so far with progress pics etc.

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Looking forward to this. Can you also please specify the products you will be using for this.

by Weenie

M4lukz

by M4lukz

dannywin42 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm
Im currently going through my process of stripping and detailing my newly acquired Addict RC Pro and thought it may be of interest to others to document it.

Essentially I wanted to make sure that the bike was as near as perfect condition as I could get it and then to protect it to make it easier to keep that way being that its now my best bike.

The spec is a standard Scott Addict RC Pro (Duraace Mech 9120 groupset) but with the Wheels upgraded to Reynolds Aero 46 DB. I also opted to swap the DA rotors for something a bit prettier in my eyes, the SRAM Centreline X.
When I picked the bike up it was, as can probably be expected, covered in greasy fingerprints and in some areas a nice film of assembly grease. and so that needed a good chemical degreasing too. With me being into detailing the cars too and having all of the products and machinery required I thought I may aswell go the whole hog and get it fully corrected and ceramic coated.
To start with I removed the chain and fully degreased it along with the whole drive train to then utilise Molten Speed Wax as my lubricant thus keeping it as clean as can be.

Ive already done a few bits, namely the wheels and the chainset to completion, they are now sat waiting to be reinstalled once the frame is complete. The main brunt of the work, the frame, will be tackled on Saturday so ill update with a few posts if interested?

If anyone is interested in this let me know and Ill write up the first few steps ive done so far with progress pics etc.
Please do keep us updated (with photos too), and (if possible) try to get the weights of each part (frame, fork, seatpost, seatclamp, ...)

dannywin42

by dannywin42

hey so to try and keep some sort of order of timeline on this ill make a few posts now.

Also just for clarity, i will weigh the odd thing here and there but its not my intention to strip any further than required to do the detail, so i wont be removing the seat clamp etc unfortunately.

As mentioned above I removed the chain before I left the bike shop and it went straight into a White Spirit soak with another 3 new chains. I left them over night and rinsed in another round of spirit followed by IPA. They then went in the wax pot and now hang in the shed awaiting fitting.

I did an Initial wipe down of the frame and wheels to assess the state of the paint etc was done with some Upol Slow panel wipe. Its a very strong degreaser, much like IPA but probably a bit more potent for oils in polishes etc. It was only a very quick wipe down as it will get a thorough one when I have all of the components removed etc so I can get in with the machine.

you may have seen these pics in the Addict 2020 thread. Generally the condision is better than expected but there are holograms and fine scratches in places where the frame has been handled. I realise now also that a lot of hand polishing may be required. The paint job in general is fantastic and the colourshift is beaut!

the eagle eyed among you may notice the scratches on the chainset which irked me greatly. I have managed to remove all but the smallest scratches as youll see later but unfortunately i dont want to go too aggressive on the compound as I suspect the paint is very thin and its not visible unless in strong light or very close now.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

so onto the wheels...

I needed to remove one of the tyres from the rims anyway as the bike shop had only aligned one of the tyre labels properly but then again i needed the serial numbers for the wheel registration anyway.

a thorough wipe down of the rims with Upol and I was ready to polish.

Using a very soft "honey" pad (Scholl Concepts) with some sonax perfect finish polish I worked my way around the rim approx a 1/3 at a time with a DAS 6 pro DA. approx 3 passes and then a wipe down to check progress showed that gloss had come up beautifully and made the wheels look much more their price point. It was evident that the 3 inch pad wasnt small enough to get into the spoke gaps however and so a soft foam hand pad and sonax was the order of the day. once I had done both rims done, which took around 2 hours total, I gave them another panel wipe followed by a final IPA wipe just to get rid of any residue ready for the coating.

Then I broke out a fresh pair of gloves, a nice new clean short knap microfibre and my coating of choice, CarPro CQuartz Lite. Using a small applicator I applied to the whole side of one rim at a time, following immidiately by wiping down gently to level and then again to gently remove any remaining resisue from the solvent. I left to dry for approx 90 mins and then repeated. The wheels were then brought in the house to properly cure overnight. Its hard to photograph but the gloss is now fantastic.

Before polishing:

After Polishing and wipe down:

After 2 coats of CQ Lite:

dannywin42

by dannywin42

quick weighing of the wheels fully built.

Tyres: Corsa Control 25's - approx 265g each
Tubes: Michelin A1 Latex - approx 75g each
Sram Centreline X - approx 130g each
Cassette: Ultegra 11-15 - approx 232g

I make that to mean the wheels are approx 1545g ish total with rim strips installed.

Front Wheel:

Rear Wheel:

dannywin42

by dannywin42

onto the chainset..

firstly I fully degreased the chainrings using white spirit and IPA, i would have done it anyway to make sure I dont contaminate the waxed chain with any packing grease but there had been a chain fitted and used for setting up the deraillieurs so there was some lubricant on the rings.

Following this I did a panel wipe on all surfaces to get it squeaky clean. I didnt take any close up before pics of the scratches but they were quite bad. Its clear the bike had been leant against another or the chainset possilbly left laying on the floor and kicked about. I would have complained to my bike shop but seeing as im a sponsored rider and got a good deal on the bike i decided to see what would come out with a good polish. after a few sets using the same combo I used on the wheels, namely a soft pad with Sonax Perfect Finish the scratches were massively reduced and essentially not visible from normal viewing distances. on the whole the chainset looks fantastic after a polish and many times better than the same chainset on my foil at present, I may give that one a going over when I get chance although I suspect that the chain scratches in it may be permanent also.

Anyways after the polish I did another panel wipe followed by an IPA wipe down ready to coat.

I did 2 coats an hour apart and then another coat the following day and left in the house to fully cure. looks great in the flesh and the photos dont do it justice as ever.
I also gave the carbon bottle cages an IPA wipe down and a coat of CQuartz jst for shits n giggles. its given a very slightly glossier look but minimal at best. nvm.

the little spots near the pedal thread in the first image are infact specks of dirt on the window in the room im in, nice reflection :-)

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

slick bike. great post. youll love the wheels.

what does the total bike weigh?

dannywin42

by dannywin42

FactoryMatt wrote:slick bike. great post. youll love the wheels.

what does the total bike weigh?
I think its around 7.4kg all in but theres definitely scope to lose some off that, not really that fussed though. Its light enough for a disc bike, its lighter than my foil rc so all good.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

dannywin42

by dannywin42

well the winter bike needed a clean and a chain change today so I thought id get the initial clean and inspection of the frame done before hand so that its ready to de-sticker and polish tomorrow.

ran a bucket of hot water and added 5ml of Bilt Hamber Autowash. using a soft microfibre mitt and where required a soft brush I gave the frame a good gentle clean. Then rinsed and blown dry with the leaf blower (which is only used for drying the car) and a final gentle wipe down with a microfibre. I then removed any final residue and grease using a panel wipe.

I photographed the general condition of the paint, which up close and in strong light is actually quite marred and scratched, a couple of areas are a little worse but nothing which shouldnt be correctable. see pics below, this is why we polish!

one or worst areas, some scuffs here under the BB shell

General Condition all over, light scratches, probably from being wiped over whilst dusty etc

Top tube graphics, these will be fun to polish.... not

again, general condition, light marring and quite hologrammed

Fun starts tomorrow...

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

almost makes a matte finish look preferable.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

Not after I'm done lol

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Looks like you know a thing or two about paint, will you be able to fix the scratch on the seatstay?

dannywin42

by dannywin42

DanielNorway wrote:Looks like you know a thing or two about paint, will you be able to fix the scratch on the seatstay?
Yea it should come out easy enough. The small chip will have to stay though for now, too much clear gone to pull our completely. I'll show before n after when I'm correcting.

by Weenie

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

Great post and lots of effort....keep it coming :beerchug: