BB386 Powermeter advice

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
teebs

by teebs

Hi All,

I have ordered and will soon recieve my new Orbea Orca OMX with the BB386 bottom bracket.

There is a question regarding what PM will be OK for the frame. The bikeshop have advised me that my old Quarq Dzero (BB30) won't fit and looking online they appear to be right - it appears the spindle is too short (68mm for the BB30 & 86mm for BB386).

Will the below Power2Max PM fit ok;

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ng ... -set-road/

If so, apart from chainrings, which I have, will I require anything else?

Many thanks!

by Weenie

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Quarq Dzero (before dub). Although they alway listed as BB30, the alloy arm is really BB30 but the carbon one is actually BB386.
The carbon need quite some spacers to fit on a real PF30/BB30 frame.

Is your quarq Dzero alloy arm or carbon arms? If it is carbon, just fit it without spacers.
Rotor Aldhu's spindle is real long. It'll fit well. (Personally, I like the 110-4S version and Shimano Ultegra or Dura-ace rings). Aldhu don't require specific tools. And they should come with required spacers/ BB cap.

teebs

by teebs

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:47 pm
Quarq Dzero (before dub). Although they alway listed as BB30, the alloy arm is really BB30 but the carbon one is actually BB386.

Is your quarq Dzero alloy arm or carbon arms? If it is carbon, just fit it without spacers.
Rotor Aldhu's spindle is real long. It'll fit well. (Personally, I like the 110-4S version and Shimano Ultegra or Dura-ace rings). Aldhu don't require specific tools. And they should come with required spacers/ BB cap.
Hi, thanks for the response :D

It's an alloy version

That answer makes sense for why Quarq customer support said the crank would fit! I will order the P2M version and sell the old Quarq...

Thanks again.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

teebs wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm
Hexsense wrote:

It's an alloy version

That answer makes sense for why Quarq customer support said the crank would fit! I will order the P2M version and sell the old Quarq...

Thanks again.
Or just buy carbon Quarq arms for your Dzero Spider...

teebs

by teebs

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 pm
teebs wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm
Hexsense wrote:

It's an alloy version

Thanks again.
Or just buy carbon Quarq arms for your Dzero Spider...
Good idea but I can't find them in the UK for a good price. There's not much cost in it when I factor in buying the new arms compared to a new PM and selling the old Quarq...

Thanks

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

one assume you are not running AXS system ?

power2max NG or NG Eco can pair with Rotor Aldhu which can be used with 386evo
Rotor themselves have In2Spider and InPower which can also be used with 386evo
Easton EC90 SL has a power metered version which is also an option
you can also consider pedal based power meter? or even powertap G3 rear hub based power meter.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

zirxo

by zirxo

The big issue with BB386 and powermeters isn't the spindle length but the width of the frame around the bb area. On a lot of frames the frame doesn't taper enough to the end to fit most powermeters that doesn't say bb386 compatible.

teebs

by teebs

zirxo wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 am
The big issue with BB386 and powermeters isn't the spindle length but the width of the frame around the bb area. On a lot of frames the frame doesn't taper enough to the end to fit most powermeters that doesn't say bb386 compatible.
That makes sense for why Orbea in their literature states "BB386 Powermeter compatible" - I always wondered why they'd state something like this.. thanks

teebs

by teebs

Just for future information, I placed the order at 10pm last night (22nd), email confirmation at 7am (23rd) and dispatch notification via UPS the same day at 12.30pm. Pretty impressive by P2M.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Hexsense wrote:

Are you sure about that? I've never seen a Quarq branded crankset come with a true BB30. Alloy or Carbon, they've always been BB30+, (same as BB386). The only true BB30 cranks I've seen come out of SRAM has been the non-power meter cranks with integrated non-replaceable spider.

As for the power meter having issues with the frame, which someone else mentioned, I did have this issue with the sensor ring for the magnet on the old Saturn, but I think they fixed those issues with everything after.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

4iiii should be fine. use a AA battery as a test.

teebs

by teebs

Thanks for all the advice, I've now recieved the P2M NGeco with Rotor 24mm Aldhu crank arms.

Power2Max advised me that I needed their special 24mm Rotor tool to fit the spider and crank arms together which I ordered. They've now emailed me and advised I don't need the special tool and just require an Allen key - can someone advise if they are correct or I do still require this special tool?

I've asked them but they've not replied..

by Weenie