lugged steel frame reccomendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bosshmic

by bosshmic

Dear All
i have a nice silvery pre 2015 Athena sitting arround and now in the mood and budget to hunt a lugged steel frame for the classic ride.
so far on the radar mainly colnago master and arabesque, what other brands/framse should i incorporate in my thinking?

thanks

muti

by muti

From the Italian framebuilders I would advise you to consider the following:
-Daccordi New Griffe(personally I consider him the best framebuilder for lugged frames in Italy)
-Casati Campionissimo(one of the few in Italy using Silver brazing)
-Somec Rex
-Faggin Doge(you than build it 1 1/8 steel fork which gives you a lot of stem/handlebar choices)
-Grandis Overmax Classico(ΜS Columbus tubing also known as minimax,lugs brev. Grandis)
The Colnago Master would not be one of my top choices.The current model gives a very harsh ride and the building quality is not the best(overheated lugs,extremely fragile color,mediocre chroming).Plus one of the advantages of a steel frame is the ability to build it with custom geometry.Colnago does not offer custom anymore.If however an historic brandname on the downtube appeals to you(nothing wrong with that),Cinelli Supercorsa is a much better frame than the Colnago.Cinelli is owned by Columbus so their abilities to produce custom drawn tubing are effectively endless.Plus they do offer custom geometry.

by Weenie

kgt

by kgt

Nice suggestions.
However, you can find many high quality NOS steel frames at ebay (and elsewhere) for cheap. Or even buy used. I personally ride an early 2000s Master x-light that I got slightly used for like 1/3 of its MSRP.

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

Daccordis are pretty great, and the prices arent too bad - i have two early 90s SLX framed Originals and a late 90s megatube alloy, and the quality is top notch.
If you are going for a modern daccordi, the stock paintjobs arent that stylish in my opinion, but you can get them painted however you want, and with the old font/logos so thats no problem really.

liam7020

by liam7020

Brian Rourke, Chas Roberts, Mercian Cycles, Dave Yates, Field Cycles, Bob Jackson.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

C36

by C36

Battaglin Portofino!
https://officinabattaglin.com/product ... ortofino/
ImageImageImage

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrafZeppelin

by GrafZeppelin

Tommasini does nice bikes with custom geo for decent price.

silvalis

by silvalis

Cherubim R2
Llewellyn
Bixxis
Last edited by silvalis on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasse patate

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Don Walker or Steve Rex if you want custom made in the USA. Also Mariposa (now run by Michael Barry and Dede Demet-Barry) out of Toronto.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

bosshmic wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:09 pm
Dear All
i have a nice silvery pre 2015 Athena sitting arround and now in the mood and budget to hunt a lugged steel frame for the classic ride.
so far on the radar mainly colnago master and arabesque, what other brands/framse should i incorporate in my thinking?

thanks
Please go something other than Colnago, nice bikes but quite common...enough sheep on here already...🐑
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Merican - Really classic old school beautiful frames.
I had one in the 1980's that I loved. Wish I never sold it.
Probably not the highest performance compared to newer frames.

bosshmic

by bosshmic

silvalis wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:55 pm
Cherubim R2
Llewellyn
Bixxis
the bixxis is just beautiful mix of classic and modern!!

muti

by muti

Bixxis,Zullo and Barco are top quality choices but for Tig Welded frame.I thought you where looking only for lugged.Having ridden lugged,tig and fillet,my personal preference is still a lugged frame with a nice steel curved fork.

bosshmic

by bosshmic

very recent bixxis post shows lugs...

by Weenie