Aero rim bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sigma

by sigma

stevec1975 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:52 pm
Cervelo S3
I had the earlier edition of the s3 as a crash replacement for the s5 (2015). I liked it but never loved it and it definitely translated a lot of road harshness up the bike especially on the terrible chicago area roads.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

guadzilla wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:52 pm
Felt? Their rim brake road bikes test quite well in the aero department.
Yes and look great too. Definitely adding to my list to check out - thank you.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

sigma

by sigma

alanyu wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:07 am
Madone with rim brake last generation is better than the latest disc generatiin in aerodynamic, stiffness and weight. You can check that on tour magazine. Ones old rim brake Madone in the club is 6.7kg with pedals and cages. He is even using the 140g Arione 00.
That's impressive about the weight on the older version and perhaps a little disappointing the new version did not do better. I will say the Domane isospeed was a game changer for me riding on the pothole ridden roads in chicago. I went from steering around them on an old Cervelo S3 (and then icing my arms after long rides) to actually enjoying them on the cobble sone absorbing Domane SLR. Revoutionary at the time!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Sounds like the terrain you're facing in the Midwest, the extra heft of the Madone isn't so relevant.

Last summer I moved to a much flatter area and wanted something that still had some aero properties but a lot more compliance (or at least clearance for 30mm+ tires that my beloved Wilier wouldn't clear). Unfortunately, that combined with a desire for slick paint limited my options pretty severely. As in so few rim brake bikes that I finally broke down and rode disc!

Anywho, I'm pretty well enamored by the SL6 and it would be high on my list for rim brake as well. My Cento10 Air was exceptional; I preferred it for a number of reasons (weight, handling, etc) over my previous Venge, Felt AR and however many other aero bikes I've lost track of.

Lots of great bikes mentioned already. My votes go to (in no particular order):

Wilier Cento10 Air or Pro
Tarmac SL6
Canyon Aeroad
Madone

sigma

by sigma

AndreLM wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:07 pm
In addition to those already mentioned:

Ridley Noah Fast
Wilier Cento1Pro
Basso Diamante SV
Pinarello F12
Yonex Aeroflight
Chapter2 Rere

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk
I took a long look at the Ridley Noah Fast and eventually decided against it after riding a friends as I found it very harsh (and very responsive too in fairness). Will have a look at the rest - other than the Wilier and Pinarello, I don't know the other brands, so very much appreciate the list. Thanks!

sigma

by sigma

Imaking20 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 am
Sounds like the terrain you're facing in the Midwest, the extra heft of the Madone isn't so relevant.

Last summer I moved to a much flatter area and wanted something that still had some aero properties but a lot more compliance (or at least clearance for 30mm+ tires that my beloved Wilier wouldn't clear). Unfortunately, that combined with a desire for slick paint limited my options pretty severely. As in so few rim brake bikes that I finally broke down and rode disc!

Anywho, I'm pretty well enamored by the SL6 and it would be high on my list for rim brake as well. My Cento10 Air was exceptional; I preferred it for a number of reasons (weight, handling, etc) over my previous Venge, Felt AR and however many other aero bikes I've lost track of.

Lots of great bikes mentioned already. My votes go to (in no particular order):

Wilier Cento10 Air or Pro
Tarmac SL6
Canyon Aeroad
Madone
I think getting a rim Tarmac might be a smart move in general in case they decide not to release it again with the SL7. I am thinking about doing that just as a fun build up over time as a nice travel bike too. The Wiliers look stunning. They win the award for best looking (holy Ramato) and great to hear they ride well too.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Excellent ride. The Ramato paint isn't so well known for durability though I'm afraid.

And yeah, don't expect an SL7 rim brake version (at least according to my Spesh pal) :(

antihero

by antihero

I don't know why u want to spend more money when u have such fantastic bikes. The tarmac is amazing. And I just bought the 02 vam disc I much prefer it over my pinarello f8. Stick with what u have. I have had most aero bikes I love my vam way more

sigma

by sigma

antihero wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:23 pm
I don't know why u want to spend more money when u have such fantastic bikes. The tarmac is amazing. And I just bought the 02 vam disc I much prefer it over my pinarello f8. Stick with what u have. I have had most aero bikes I love my vam way more
The only one sitting in the midwest is the Domane right now. The tarmac SL6 is disc and parked in the mountains with the Factor Vam (agree with you - love it). One sits at home and the other at work, while the C5 and Open are there for the gravel also split by location. I have only had one line of aero bike before (Cervelo S5 to S3 post crash) and it was harsh as hell but fast. So just curious to try something else and also find a use for my 4 pairs of wheels lying around in the midwest!