Specialized Tarmac - Sizing for 179cm & leggy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boyceuk

by boyceuk

I decided to get the right information with a professional bike fit, rather than me flipping a coin. I learnd a lot.

My saddle height was 20mm lower, at 732mm.
My Saddle to bar drop is 60mm
My reach from tip of saddle to top of hoods is 655mm

Which actually still leaves me split between a 54 and 56.

what would you pick between;

1) All the spacers - 30mm
2) 100mm stock stem
3) saddle in middle of rails

1) 10mm of spacers
2) 90mm stem (possibly 85)
3) saddle 10mm forward to rails (which accounts for slacker seat tube angle, so saddle to BB is still the same)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Based on that information alone, I would choose the 54cm. 30mm in spacers is acceptable to me, with 40mm being the practical max. Or you should look at a 54cm endurance bike, which should let you 25-30mm fewer spacers and a 110mm stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

If it was me, I would choose 56. My max accepetable spacer height is 10mm.

However, though handling is not a problem with 85 / 90 mm stem, it's is not so beautiful on a 56 frame. A much better way is to find a bike with higher STR (more endurance) in discount as tobinhatesyou said.

Js2

by Js2

If its any help, I'm 178~ ish, 84cm inseam

I ride a size 54 tarmac. I think you should go with 54, eventually when you get more flexible you can slowly take out the spacers :beerchug:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Js2 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:01 am
If its any help, I'm 178~ ish, 84cm inseam

I ride a size 54 tarmac. I think you should go with 54, eventually when you get more flexible you can slowly take out the spacers :beerchug:

Or leave them in because you can just bend your elbows to get low.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

It seems like your fitter set you up in a very comfort-focus fit, which is probably a good thing since you are just starting out. However, if you see yourself getting serious about cycling, then I suspect that your fit will change (i.e become more aggressive), so you have to take that into consideration. I went through 4 bikes (and two fits) during my first 1.5 years of cycling, as my style/fit progresses.

If you think you'll stick to a more casual/enudrance style of cycling, then I agree with Tobin, and recommend that you look into a bike with endurance gemoetry.
If you see yourself taking it seriously, where maximizing power output and speed are king, then go for the 54 tarmac. It will give you the flexibilty to alter your postion as you progress.

On a personal note, I'd never buy a that require me to run more than 10mm of spaces...any more than that, and it's the wrong frame. Also, running a lot of spacers does alter the handling characteristics of the bike, slightly, as bikes are designed around the use of 0mm of spacers,

DaveS

by DaveS

I'd go with the 54. 6cm is not much drop. I'm smaller and really old, but still tolerate a 10cm drop.

AJS914

by AJS914

What frame did the fitter recommend? I don't like the idea of a 56 with an 85 or 90mm stem at all.

The limiter here is the 6cm of saddle to bar drop and sitting very upright. It's not a lot of drop on a race bike that is designed for an aggressive aerodynamic position. In that pic above it looks like you would be very very upright with your hands on the tops of the bars. I'd want to see you with a good position on the tops of the bars without being too upright and then being able to get into more aggressive aero positions on the hoods (elbows bent) and in the drops.

I guess ulimately, what are your riding goals? Maybe you'd be better off on a Roubaix if the goals are more comfort and endurance based?

boyceuk

by boyceuk

I picked up the 54 this morning and I'm super happy with it! :D :beerchug:

Taken it out for a ride and it felt great. Silky smooth, picks up speed instantly, and I reckon the position is something I'll quickly get into.

It might not be the "perfect bike" for me right now, but it will get me out riding and give me something to work towards.
It was a great price and the position is a good starting point. If in a year i'm edger for something bigger / smaller / lower / longer, I can easily flip it and work in a cheeky upgrade.

This is a well deserved treat to myself, so thank you all for the help.
Last edited by boyceuk on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinozee

by tinozee

54 all the way for you. You will be glad after a season of adapting to it.

I am 192cm and had to slam a -17 on a 58 Tarmac SL3. The latest tarmac has an even shorter shorter seat tube so I am completely out with Spec sizing. They used to make long and low geo versions for s-works frames I believe, but not any longer.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

How high do you need your saddle to be?

tinozee

by tinozee

The one I had had a 550mm seat tube. the current one is only 522mm. I only had 10mm to spare on the old model. It just has way too much slope. I switched (on my team) to riding Cdale Evos, which have a more traditional shape and lower stack for the same size. Maybe not slope, but it cuts off the ST 3cm lower.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm
What frame did the fitter recommend? I don't like the idea of a 56 with an 85 or 90mm stem at all.

The limiter here is the 6cm of saddle to bar drop and sitting very upright. It's not a lot of drop on a race bike that is designed for an aggressive aerodynamic position. In that pic above it looks like you would be very very upright with your hands on the tops of the bars. I'd want to see you with a good position on the tops of the bars without being too upright and then being able to get into more aggressive aero positions on the hoods (elbows bent) and in the drops.

I guess ulimately, what are your riding goals? Maybe you'd be better off on a Roubaix if the goals are more comfort and endurance based?

My current saddle-bar drop is 5cm and I assure you I have an almost flat back angle when I need it. People tend to forget they have elbows. I used to run closer to 16cm in drop, but then my fitter told me to raise my bars. I then looked at side photos from his motion capture and from actual races...my back angle is the same...only my elbow bend has changed. Also now I can ride really comfortable with my hands on the tops during climbs or on a recovery ride.

Aerodynamically, I’ve probably decreased my total frontal area in both the drops and hoods with the increased elbow bend...cancelling out additional losses from the increased spacer stack.

I’m 178cm, all torso, and moved from 54cm to 56cm.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Uhhh thats very dependent on your body measurements. Middle of bell curve folks aren't able to be flat back with 5cm of drop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CEVelo

by CEVelo

I am similar proportions (179cm with 85cm inseam, ride a 75.5cm saddle height). Been riding a 56cm tarmac for ages, including 3 SL6 frames. Tried the 54cm for a day, but its way too small IMO - the toe overlap get too pronounced, the seatpost way too exposed and drop to extreme for me (I ride a ~60-80mm drop with an 11cm stem, depending on season, and even so the 56 require quite a bit of spacers)