First Impression Carbonworks Mastermount

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cubist

by Cubist

Received the new Carbonworks Mastermount today. I put on some Easton Ec70 Aero handlebars and my cockpit was getting a bit busy. My K-Edge race out front mount barely fitted. And with my Exposure Trace light atatched with the band on everything on the handlebar was at an angle. I was not sure the way I mounted the K-Edge was harming my bars so I was looking for a stem faceplate mount. My computer was like 2 degrees out of center. My OCD couldn't handle that ;).My Easton EC90SL stem has no access ports from the back so the standard Carbonworks cockpitmount is no use to me. Simon from carbonworks advised the Mastermount to me. Altough crazy expensive I ordered it. It also comes with a gopro attachment which I haven't installed yet. i ordered a gopro style mount for my front Exposure light. When it arrives I'll attach the gopro extension and mount the light. See my pictures for first impression.

What I really liked is it is almost like a modular system:

- You can mount it to a lot of different stem sizes
- It is highly customizable: I swapped the garmin mount around so the computer (Edge 520plus) is closer to the stem. There was no manual so I was really happy this is possible.
- The carbon tubes seem really strong and you can torque 'em up to your stem (max5nm I did 4nm as that is my stems recommended torque)
- The garmin insert is of high quality plastic. It says made in USA. Same as K-Edge? Computer clips in nice and snug with a reassuring 'click'
- They say it is so strong you can lean on it in Aero position. Not sure about this. Leaning with your weight on the bottom bolts of your stem seems a bit scary to me. Not quite sure what they mean by saying this. The mount does feel very sturdy though..
- Because you can swap the garmin insert the mount is compatible with smaller and larger computers.

What I don't like:

- When you insert the GoPro mount the Mastermount gets longer. Your computer will be further from your bars.
- Weight is not really good, but that is because of the extra functionality. Same weight as my K-Edge.
- Aesthetics. It does look a bit cluttered from the under side and all the bolts. Black anodized bolts would help the look. My bike still looks cleaner because it looks like an integrated mount. Maybe they can make the small parts more streamlined in a 2.0 version.

All in all great product! Highly recommended. Highly adaptable. It performs like a modular mount. Because you can attact the GoPro mount in between it is also possible to mount something else there... I can attach my front light to the bottom when I want too. The mount cleans up my cockpit. Quality engineering. I gained 4 grams mounting this compared to the k-Edge Race mount..
Attachments
Total Weight including GoPro mount
Total Weight including GoPro mount
Weight without GoPro mount
Weight without GoPro mount
All the stuff in the magnetic box
All the stuff in the magnetic box
Weight GoPro mount
Weight GoPro mount
Weight Garmin mount with bolts
Weight Garmin mount with bolts
Carbon Tubing mounted to faceplate
Carbon Tubing mounted to faceplate
Mounting interface
Mounting interface
Second interface
Second interface
Garmin insert mounted loose
Garmin insert mounted loose
Garmin mounted loose side view
Garmin mounted loose side view
Last edited by Cubist on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

More pics (overkill ;))
Attachments
Garmin mounted too far
Garmin mounted too far
Garmin mounted under
Garmin mounted under
Garmin mounted too far from stem
Garmin mounted too far from stem
Figured to swap the insert
Figured to swap the insert
Garmin insert with bolts
Garmin insert with bolts
Mounting the insert the other way around
Mounting the insert the other way around
Garmin sits in perfect position now
Garmin sits in perfect position now
Really happy!
Really happy!
Sideview
Sideview
Last edited by Cubist on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubist

by Cubist

Last edited by Cubist on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cubist

by Cubist

and even more pictures..
Attachments
mount from side
mount from side
mount with computer from side
mount with computer from side
box
box

Erwin

by Erwin

Great review and thanks for the details!

kode54

by kode54

Looks more robust than their first gen computer mount.

Thx for the pics and review.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I have a F3 Form Mount, and I like the stem bolt mounted out front concept, but my biggest problem has been getting the mount level when torquing it down. This looks like it'd be a bit easier as the actual mount is a separate attachment, but €149 just seems a bit much for me.

That being said, this was a facinating bit of info. I'd like to see what the actual load bearing capacity is:
The highlight, however, is that you can support yourself sitting in aerodynamic position with your hands on the computer.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Cubist

by Cubist

Setting the angle is not really an issue. You mount the carbon tubes first with an allen key to max 5nm. After that it's only t8 torx small screws. It is relatively easy centering everything. Then setting the angle of the computer itself is really simple with just the two small screws from the side.
Only issue I have at the moment is with the GoPro insert. Because I flipped the plastic Garmin thing the bulky side is now at the side of the stem. It is not possible to mount the GoPro mount that way. This could easily be solved when it was possible to mount the GoPro insert directly at the carbon tubes. That way there would be enough clearance. If you have a stem with a small center to center screw diameter maybe it is possible already. Not on my Easton EC90SL. I send a message to Simon from Carbonworks. Hopefully he has a solution for this problem. The mount is a little bit too expensive to have your computer mounted so far away from your stem..
Attachments
My suggestion for where the GoPro mount should sit. This will give enough clearance. Even when the big plastic part sits on the inside.
My suggestion for where the GoPro mount should sit. This will give enough clearance. Even when the big plastic part sits on the inside.
the reason why my GoPro mount doesn't fit. I flipped the plastic under the Garmin insert for mounting my computer closer to the stem.
the reason why my GoPro mount doesn't fit. I flipped the plastic under the Garmin insert for mounting my computer closer to the stem.

Cubist

by Cubist

This is the manual. You can see the GoPro mount should be mounted more to the front. This is the issue for me. If you have a bigger computer you will not encounter this problem..
Attachments
manual
manual

CarbonWorks

by CarbonWorks

Cubist wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 pm
This is the manual. You can see the GoPro mount should be mounted more to the front. This is the issue for me. If you have a bigger computer you will not encounter this problem..
I made this manual for the first customers while I was on holidays.
Now there is a new and better manual of course.
Simon
carbonworks.de

Cubist

by Cubist

I like the sketches though ;)

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

Thanks for the awesome write-up on this!

I too have the F3 Form Mount...which is a nice piece. My bike gripe is that you cannot level the angle. I.e. your computer is going to run parallel to the stem/faceplate mounting bolts. I'd rather have it closer to parallel with the ground to make it look cleaner, more aero, etc.

I'm trying to determine the difference between their normal Cockpit Mount and their Master Mount.

-=terry
Revolutionary On-Bike Storage System
www.thebikewallet.com
@the_bike_wallet

Cubist

by Cubist

There are a few key differences with the two mounts:

The standard mount is lighter but less adjustable.

The master mount you can put a GoPro mount in between to mount a GoPro or in my case: an Exposure Trace light.

The angle and distance of the computer from the bars is more adjustable.

Angui

by Angui

Hi all
How does the Carbonworks Mastermount hold with a heavy computer (1030plus) over potholes at speed? I have so far broken 3 of the OG Evkins, what broke was the mount for the Garmin, the round piece that the Garmin clicks into: go a little fast on big potholes and they tear-up right away. How's the Carbonworks Mastermount in that respect please?
Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

Angui wrote:Hi all
How does the Carbonworks Mastermount hold with a heavy computer (1030plus) over potholes at speed? I have so far broken 3 of the OG Evkins, what broke was the mount for the Garmin, the round piece that the Garmin clicks into: go a little fast on big potholes and they tear-up right away. How's the Carbonworks Mastermount in that respect please?
Thanks in advance
I’m using an edge 830 which is lighter. However, the inserts they use are from K-Edge. They are among the strongest computer holders.