oltre xr4 owners - anyone running 28mm tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Hey
any Bianchi oltre xr4 RIMBRAKE owners that are running 28mm tires? maybe 25mm front/28mm back setup?

i would love to se pictures of the tire clearance, as i´m thinking to try 28mm tubeless this year, but i´m not super sure about clearance is enough for the front fork. there seems to be massive clearance at the back.

Thanks - google is not helping with this specific request except that some people do it.

vdarth

by vdarth

I have the same question.

Anyone know?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Plenty of space.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

In addition to the wheel well, the other place tires can rub is at the brake calipers.

The XR4 is Direct Mount and most modern DMs will clear, as you can see.

Campagnolo dual pivot (single screw to mount) won’t clear when I test on other frame sets. But latest Shimano dual pivot calipers usually clear. My point is the caliper make and model can matter, too.

The last big caveat, is that clearance can be limited by Frame Size.

Small frames sometimes have to put the caliper mounting points lower between the Seat Tube and Seat Stays so that it can actually be mounted. But sometimes, they go the opposite extreme, so tall calipers like eeBrakes can’t even be mounted because the seat tube gets in the way.

You can imagine a spectrum between the smallest frames all the way to the largest.

For this reason, it is important to ask for frame size as well, because it’s entirely possible that a 60cm frame clears large tires, but an XS or S frame won’t clear at the calipers even if the wheel well does. Assuming the calipers can even be mounted.

This is a 50cm frame.

vdarth

by vdarth

Thank you for detailed answer.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Thanks for the fantastic answer and pictures :-)

safd009

by safd009

maxim809 - I know it's been a long time for this thread, do you think 30mm tires could fit on your bike? I'm interested in a 50cm frame and would like to run 28mm GP 5000 S TRs which will likely blow up to close to 30mm.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I would have to look.

I'm not too concerned about clearing the calipers, but my guess is it will come down to how much clearance there will be by the rear wheel well. Which is based on how tall the tires stand.

In the pictures above, I am running GP5k Clincher 28mm on old Bora WTO's which are 19mm internal. I'm guessing you are anticipating the 28mm STRs' to blow up to 30mm because you are going with wider internal rims.

I'm not sure if I have a wheel config that can mimic this setup, but maybe I can try fitting a 30mm GP5k STR to the 19mm internal WTO as a litmus test.

safd009

by safd009

Thanks, no rush, only if you had some free time, I can imagine it's a bit of a pain. How are you enjoying the bike?

velov

by velov

I'm running Strada Bianca 30mm tires on a 19mm internal, clearance would be around 2-3mm each side. Frame size is 55cm so not sure if you'd have the same clearance on a 50cm frame.

safd009

by safd009

Thanks velov!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com