The Limits of Tubeless

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My wife did this. I must say I was impressed that the tire held air for about 1km.

Tire is new. I can put an internal patch on the entry wound but I have doubts about the exit wound. That part of the tire is constantly disturbed given how close it is to the rim, and there just won't be much contact with sealant so high up the sidewall. Can I save it? or into the trash?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Tread, you can definately patch it, but I'd be worried about the sidewall puncture. 1st, becasue like you said with the sealant, it's not going to touch it. 2nd because it's generally a different construciton and subject to different stresses. I don't know how robustly they build the sidewalls, but I'd be concerned about premature structural failure.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Plugs will fix it

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

bin it.... it will not be safe... never ride a tyre that has damage to the sidewall
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Miller

by Miller

Yeah it might go flat and... that's something that happens thousands of times every day.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It cant be saved. Impressive though but I have a puncture that went through the side wall and out the other side wall.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It cant be saved. Impressive though but I have a puncture that went through the side wall and out the other side wall. The customer plugged that to get him home.

silvalis

by silvalis

I've plugged something like that before with dynaplugs, but didnt have much faith in the plug near the rim/bead.
Chasse patate

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

In mtb we usually do the following:

1. Clean the holes from sealant and use some abrasive (comes with patchkit) to prepare the surface
2. Apply some glue (comes with a patchkit)
3. Install patches and apply some pressure for 10-15mins
4. Install inner tube and inflate it to 6-7bar (depending on your tire)
5. Leave it like that for couple of days (or ride with an inner tube for the same period)

The tube will help to keep patches in place and make better bonding. After a while you can remove the tube and patches should leave in place and you can put fresh sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

I sewed longer sidewall tears than this.

I glue a piece of nylon cloth (from a safety vest) to the inside, then sew the cut closed through the patch. Won't throw away a Grand Bois or Compass / Rainy Hearsay that still has good tread.

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

I learned something today....After you're done patching it use a small piece of gorilla tape to cover the patch. Gives it little added strength when a patch is likely to balloon past the tear.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Lots of good tips, and info worth knowing. However for the trouble and lack of certainty about the sidewall repair, the wise choice for me is new tire. (Can't have my wife, who is hopeless with any and all equipment, stranded on the road.)

I would happily patch and run with a tube, but without a tube and really no sealant contact, I anticipate problems. The patch would literally extend onto the inner side of the tire bead. Even carefull mounting/unmounting risks disturbing the patch.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a stock of tire casing from an old tire. I ripped off the tread. On that tire I'd cut out a 1 inche dimeter circle of tire tread and then super glue it to the inside of the tire.

spud

by spud

I'm all for saving gear and keeping it out of a landfill. But this is tire is what, $20? Convenience and safety indicate trashing it.

by Weenie