Do you like washing/detailing your bike yourself?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Do you like washing/detailing your bike yourself?

Yes, I love it!
37%
It's not a hobby, but I do it
45%
I hate having to clean my bike
18%
Other... (care to elaborate?)
No votes

Total votes: 78

Ettore

by Ettore

Hi all,

With all of the videos and articles online stating what is the best way to clean your bike, I was wondering... Do you actually enjoy the cleaning process? Isn't it frustrating how quickly it becomes dirty again and having your hard work be ruined after an hour long winter ride?

I'm curious how the acceptance of bike cleaning is among weight weenies members.. Do you love it, and see it as an integral part of the cycling experience? Do you reluctantly clean your bike, maybe not to the highest standards, but to at least have it look half decent and prolong the life of your components, or do you not clean your bike at all, and just ride until something breaks?

It just seems like a bit of an internal conflict to me.. On one hand, I'd love my bike to look representative and be well looked after.. On the other hand.. I hate putting in any other work into cycling than actual riding..

Happy riding everyone!

by Weenie

dannywin42

by dannywin42

Yup. I'm as bad with the bikes as I am with the car.

Cleaned winter bike on saturday as I got a new chain and needed to get it fully degreased so I thought I'd better degrease the cassette and chainrings too, I'm going to try waxing the chains eventually so am trying smoove out in the interim. Got bike immaculate and then did a 115mile hard mucky ride yesterday (sunday) seeing as I had to reclean the drive train I did the bike again aswell.

I use the detailing gear i use for the car for the bike. All my frames are ceramic coated and use detail spray as a drying aid. They do stave off dirt a little longer for it but you cant really help it in winter i usually do it once a week.

Yesterday's before, during (prefoamed with bilt hamber surfex hd) and after plus cheeky paint flake shot.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

none

by none

Advantage of titanium frame, less frequent washing, just ride in the wet, mud, salt, put it away and ride again the next day, no need to wash.
My 19 year old bike, only wash handful of times.
Last edited by none on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

Dont think that's an advantage of titanium, I could ride the synapse and never wash it at all, just keep drive train clean. Carbon doesnt corrode any faster than titanium

none

by none

dannywin42 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:54 pm
Dont think that's an advantage of titanium, I could ride the synapse and never wash it at all, just keep drive train clean. Carbon doesnt corrode any faster than titanium
You can try it, but I already see the scratches on your downtube from the shifter cables.

Will your carbon frame last 17+ years and still rides the same as the day it was made?

dannywin42

by dannywin42

That's got nothing to do with cleaning it, a bit of abrasion on the clear coat is easily fixed if it bothered me. I cant imagine keeping a bike for 17 years either. I'm not debating the advantages or disadvantages of frame materials but I'm pretty convinced that the material has zero effect on having or desiring to keep it clean.

For the record, I would like a ti bike at some point, probably a custom as my do all bike but that is probably some years off, If and when I do get one I'm sure I'll have the same detailing regimen.

none

by none

dannywin42 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:05 pm
That's got nothing to do with cleaning it, a bit of abrasion on the clear coat is easily fixed if it bothered me. I cant imagine keeping a bike for 17 years either. I'm not debating the advantages or disadvantages of frame materials but I'm pretty convinced that the material has zero effect on having or desiring to keep it clean.

For the record, I would like a ti bike at some point, probably a custom as my do all bike but that is probably some years off, If and when I do get one I'm sure I'll have the same detailing regimen.
"Nothing to do with cleaning it"? just leave those scratches uncleaned for a few months and see how they might damage the paint job.

"not debating about advantages"? your first reply was: "Dont think that's an advantage of titanium"... hypocrite much?

BTW, there is rarely need for a custome titanium frame to be fabricated for yourself unless your body measurements are out of the sizing range of regular frames already made; a custom titanium frame seems waste of money.

Like I said, my ti frame was made back in 2001, I bought it used back in 2004, put over 73k miles on it, and only cleaned it a hanful of times; much rather spending my time riding it vs cleaning it, that's the advantage of a ti frame, over long perior of time.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

Haha, you need to get back off that massive horse of yours. The thread isnt about anything other than cleaning / detailing your bikes, and in my opinion the frame material has zero bearing on it. If I were so inclined I could decide to not clean my bike, be it the winter bike or my others and it wouldnt make any difference, carbon is a fairly inert material. The abrasions in the clear coat from my cables are never going to get bad enough to affect the performance of the frame, I'd even wager that 17 years worth wouldnt have any effect.

I'd much rather take a bike that's properly maintained and clean over one covered in mud and grime, simple as that.

Seeing as you are wanting to shout about titanium's obvious superiority please do enlighten me as to how titanium is better than carbon with regards to detailing / cleaning it.

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

Ettore wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Hi all,

I'm curious how the acceptance of bike cleaning is among weight weenies members.. Do you love it, and see it as an integral part of the cycling experience? Do you reluctantly clean your bike, maybe not to the highest standards, but to at least have it look half decent and prolong the life of your components, or do you not clean your bike at all, and just ride until something breaks?

Happy riding everyone!
I have a feeling my answer will change when I start commuting, but right now I only ride on weekends and days off, so my current process is that I box off the whole morning so that I can go for a ride, and then have time to do any maintainance needed. I'd include a clean as part of this.

I enjoy working on my bike as a whole (except internally routing bars!) so I never view cleaning as a chore at all, I actually find it quite therapeutic.

Admittedly I detail & polish less often, maybe every 6 weeks or so, since I don't bring my detailing products everywhere with me!

romanmoser

by romanmoser

custom is not only about sizing geometry and tubing diameter thickness choices
it's also about features that you want and may not find in any production frame : ( T47 etc )

Besides I've had a litepseed ultimate like you have
a 1999 so curved seat tube instead of the cut out and 1" headtube not the 1/ 1 8
But 99% the same frameset

Nice behaviour , 6/4 tubing on the downtube,
but stupid short chainstays , not short , super short 395mm and 65mm bb drop
I could use 24 25Mm tubulars, probably couldn(' t use 25mm clinchers
And rear wheel traction was not that great despite great accelaration
I really liked it uphill despite it's 1550 gr for frame painted in 59cm size

Bottom bracket and downtube had too much lateral flex for me and i'm not powerfull 65 70kg 1m88
downtube is vertically stiff but the diamond shape does little to resist lateral flex

Regards

ruklaw

by ruklaw

I don't really care if my bike is dirty, noisy on the other hand is unacceptable... often cleaning helps with the noises.

I guess if I'm going out on a social ride I'll wet wipe down the bike so it doesn't look scruffy, but I'm a very long way from detailing.

Generally speaking I'd rather replace components somewhat earlier and clean them less.

But yeah, I am a daily commuter so trying to keep my bike clean this time of year would take half my life.

none

by none

dannywin42 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 pm
Haha, you need to get back off that massive horse of yours. The thread isnt about anything other than cleaning / detailing your bikes, and in my opinion the frame material has zero bearing on it. If I were so inclined I could decide to not clean my bike, be it the winter bike or my others and it wouldnt make any difference, carbon is a fairly inert material. The abrasions in the clear coat from my cables are never going to get bad enough to affect the performance of the frame, I'd even wager that 17 years worth wouldnt have any effect.
I'm not on any horse, I'm on my bike.
If you feel the cable abrasions in the clean coat doesn't affect your frame for period over 17 years; go ahead and test it yourself.
dannywin42 wrote:
I'd much rather take a bike that's properly maintained and clean over one covered in mud and grime, simple as that.
You assume too much.
dannywin42 wrote:
Seeing as you are wanting to shout about titanium's obvious superiority please do enlighten me as to how titanium is better than carbon with regards to detailing / cleaning it.
I already did it in my first reply to this thread, learn to read.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

none wrote:
dannywin42 wrote:
I'm not on any horse, I'm on my bike.
If you feel the cable abrasions in the clean coat doesn't affect your frame for period over 17 years; go ahead and test it yourself.
dannywin42 wrote:
You assume too much.
dannywin42 wrote:
I already did it in my first reply to this thread, learn to read.
I can read, hence why my first reply was about cleaning / detailing, I read the OP's post. The fact that your bike is titanium has nothing to do with the OP's question and your assertion that you dont need to clean it because its titanium rather than carbon for instance is wrong. Regardless even if the frame material had any bearing on the requirement to clean it, the question originally asked was whether you do and do you enjoy it.

I'm fairly certain that if I didnt clean my bike in some way that my components, cables and especially wheels if it happened to be a rim brake bike etc, would degrade far quicker than my frame, even with those cables threatening to eat so far into the head tube that it may be unridable in the next decade. I'm sure I'll be long rid of it by then however, likely for another carbon framed model.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

So much anger over a bike wash, sheesh :noidea:

Never washed my road bike, always wash my CX bike
Both carbon, if that makes any difference
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I don’t particularly like washing my bike, but I dislike riding a dirty or noisy bike even more. Cleaning my bike (including the chain) every 2 weeks means my bike never gets too dirty or noisy.

I usually don’t set out to ride in rain, but if I get caught out, I’ll wash my bike after that ride (or at least add lube to the chain and wash the bike the next day).
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

by Weenie