EE Brakes, Jagwire Elite Links, SL6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

badoherty

by badoherty

Just building my new S Works SL6 rim brake :D

It's going to run EE brakes with Jagwire Elite Link cables. When I've installed the front brake it is very, very rough. The caliper action is smooth when not connected to the cable so it seems to be cable related. I've used the Jagwire supplied cable to run from the Dura Ace brake lever to the handlebar exit. And the the clear sheath with links from there to caliper. Any suggestions?

Also, for the Sl6 rear brake internal routing through the top tube- does this run bare cable inside the tube (between the 'top hats & flanges' at both ports)?

TIA!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If it has to do with the cable routing then you can try just pulling on the brake cable with one hand and braking with the other. If it feels rough reroute and test again until you've found the best.

Did you remember to install the lining that goes inside the links?

When you cut housing make sure the ends are opened up so the cable can run free. A part of the elite links use normal housing doesn't it? Like under the bartape?

A file can help to get a flat surface (and thus less compression).

The rear brake is often a bit rougher than the front. This because the front is so much shorter. There is less friction in a shorter system.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

badoherty

by badoherty

Thanks.

Yep- lining is installed inside the links and normal housing used from brake lever to bar exit (internally routed brakes on bars).

The problem is on both front and back brakes.

rlanger

by rlanger

What handlebar are you using?

If the bar has a tight bend from the brake lever to where the cable exits the bar, this could be the cause of your issue.

Edit: given that you're using a normal housing inside the bar you really should be ok. Hmmm..... :cry:

Jugi

by Jugi

I would check the inner liner's / sheat's end at the lever first, as can be a potential pinch point. Also, a crucial component was left unmentioned - which handlebar is used in this build?

I'm running a similar setup with rim brake SL6 Pro, aluminium links, SRAM eTap levers + SRAM direct mount brake calipers and 3T Ergonova handlebars with housing integration. With this setup, handlebar's cable port (at the lever's side) provided the most resistance but with some trial & error I got the cable pull and retraction decently smooth. If using a handlebar without cable integration, the SL6's rear brake is very smooth and the front, of course, is unaffected by the frame it's installed on. The rear brake cable is supposed to be run as a bare cable between the housing stops, but an inner liner can ne used there if one feels it gives some benefit.

In general, I've found aluminium link housings to provide much better rim brake action compared to standard cable housing, as the links are completely compressionless (after a short settling in period) and will sustain smoother action even when installed into tight radius bends. The steel cables themselves are usually quite bendy compared to typical housing, so bending the cable doesn't pose a problem.

badoherty

by badoherty

The handlebar is Aerofly 2.

As far as I can tell the issue seems to be around the lever area- the roughness is so bad that you can hear it and it seems to be coming from the lever area. The lever is smooth and quiet when no cable attached.

badoherty

by badoherty

Solved! I mistakenly put an unnecessary ferrule at the brake lever cable end. Thanks for the suggestions. By rights, I really shouldn't be allowed near a spanner.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wouldn't mind working with someone modest and funny like you. :thumbup:

Good you found the problem. Now onto the next...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Liners go through the frame, or from shifters all the way to the brakes.
Just see to it that the alu links won't work themselves through the frame holes.
Otherwise Elite link is the best. What wires you use, is not that important as long as you don't use the coated Shimano wires that tend to frey.
EE is excellent with Sram Etap!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.